Old 09 April 2003, 07:40   #131

Town: Sunny Ynys Môn
Boat name: Windchill 2
Make: Ring Powercraft 685
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 175
Opps!!!

Actually, being in business myself, I have no problem with anyone making money: that, afterall is why we all do isn't it!! Mission statements of all sorts appeared a few yers ago, so mine became "to make as much as possible, for as little as possible, and keep the customers coming back", or words to that effect!!

My point is/was that the price of a new RIB actually makes a car of the same price look like value for money!!! Whatever any of the builders say, you CAN NOT compare the complexity/technology of your "average" £25-30K RIB to a car of the same price (I was going to use "value" but...).

OK, toys sell at a premium, and whilst people will pay, manufacturers will take their money. All quite reasonable really.

NO accusation of rip offs at all!! Just an observation.

Old 09 April 2003, 17:51   #132

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
No one can convince me that boating is not a BIG RIP OFF!!

I cannot believe that labour costs are so much more expensive in the UK than it is in Spain, France, Italy, Greece!!

I do not dispute the fact that one does not work for charity but to make money. However, there is making money and MAKING MEGA MONEY. In the RIB business (unfortunately) the MEGA MONEY individuals are the majority and these are the people I will expose (with invoices, receipts, quality statements and quality inspection results etc etc) in the next few days!!

Just watch this space people my flew just got better!!!

Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 April 2003, 18:07   #133

Town: Blackpool
Boat name: To Exi
Make: new sib 4 man
Length: 8+ft
Engine: Mariner 4hp long shaft
Reep off UK

Glad you perked up a bit Manos,But dont loose the day job .

Remember we want to be out on the old Falcon soon so no excuses like Mi boss sacked Mi cos I never went to work as I went on a forum and mi life changed sort of thing.

Look forward to it,when your ready. {
Old 09 April 2003, 18:11   #134

Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
I'm my own boss CH so there is no chance of that!!
Old 09 April 2003, 18:32   #135

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally posted by Manos
...these are the people I will expose (with invoices, receipts, quality statements and quality inspection results etc etc) in the next few days!!

Just watch this space people my flew just got better!!!
Intriguing - I look forward to it!
Old 09 April 2003, 18:52   #136

Just give me few days Pepper
Old 12 April 2003, 14:04   #137

Town: Southampton
Boys! Boys! No. 1 rule to buy a boat - If ya cant afford the boat go smaller, better to have the best of something ya can afford than go bigger and have a basic version!

Costings I can talk about - I did the costings for a small Rib company for 3 years! A nightmare...
It all depends on quality! You can buy an A frame for £300 but it's like having bicycle handles on ya boat - to manufacture an A frame especially for a client use to cost us aprox £1000 plus then fit it! Lay up of the boat depends on what construction you use! Engines thats the mine field - some times our customers could buy the engines cheaper than us the boatbuilders - that stinks but unfortunately true! I dont know about other RHIB boatbuilders but there is only a small mark up to be had! I'm sure some of you business men not in the trade would think the boat business not viable if you really knew the profit! It's more for the love and job satisfaction we do it!

For quality buy BRITISH!!!!!!!! he he he!!!
Old 12 April 2003, 17:03   #138

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Boys! Boys! No. 1 rule to buy a boat - If ya cant afford the boat go smaller, better to have the best of something ya can afford than go bigger and have a basic version!

Mmmm... Not sure I agree with that Fi P.

Would you rather drive a basic Jag or a flashy ford?

JW.
Old 13 April 2003, 06:23   #139

Town: salcombe
Make: olmec 400
Length: 4m
Engine: mariner 40
I think that the reason RIB's are expensive is because boating in general is expensive.Apart from commercial uses,boats are what we spend our disposable income on,for our own leisure.If you can't afford a new one,maybe you could recycle an old one.much better for the environment and much better for your bank ballance
Old 13 April 2003, 09:53   #140

Town: Southampton
JW - I didn't mean to compare two different makes - I believe! if ya can have a 7m or 9m from the same manufacture - I would rather have a top of the range, all singing and dancing new speed machine - rather than a 9m that is basic and more like a DIY vessel - no disrespect to DIY but it's horses for courses! A bit like a diamond it's not the size its the quality that counts!!! he he!!