Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mextli View Post
Make sure the slip doesn't just end half a metre further when in murky waters
All of ours do, at least at low tide, seems to come with the territory around here.
Old 31 August 2012, 00:58   #22

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPR

I believe it is in UK!

S.
Unbraked trailers by law in the uk regardless of size must have a safety chain fitted to keep it in line should the trailer become detached from the tow vehicle.

Braked trailers must have a Brake away cable fitted to the braking system to allow the trailer brakes to be applied should it become uncoupled or detached when moving .

don't think the cable needs to be strong enough to keep the trailer in line with the tow vehicle as with the unbraked trailers Just as long as it applies the brakes it can snap.
Old 31 August 2012, 01:02   #23
SPR

Town: Central Belt of Scotland
Boat name: Puddleduck III
Make: Bombard
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow
Unbraked trailers by law in the uk regardless of size must have a safety chain fitted to keep it in line should the trailer become detached from the tow vehicle.

Braked trailers must have a Brake away cable fitted to allow the trailer brakes to be applied should it become uncoupled when moving .
that what I thought , I know many folk don't - I have chain on my unbraked and I was glad when it popped off going up a hill! Bent shackle but could been worse!

S.
Old 31 August 2012, 07:39   #24
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
At least they hadn't screwed deck fittings through the hull and into the bunks though, eh Mollers!
Etched in your memory too I see
Old 31 August 2012, 08:02   #25

Town: Buckingham
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Engine: Mariner 75
I also have a second winch safety rope (About a foot of 12mm 3 strand spliced to a snap hook at one end and the winch post at the other) which prevents accidental winch runout - once the winch handle starts rotating and the boat is slipping back on the trailer there is little you can do without something like this (don't ask how I know, but the winch safety gets used for every launch and recovery now!).
Old 31 August 2012, 08:24   #26

Town: southampton
Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post

Braked trailers must have a Brake away cable fitted to the braking system to allow the trailer brakes to be applied should it become uncoupled or detached when moving .

don't think the cable needs to be strong enough to keep the trailer in line with the tow vehicle as with the unbraked trailers Just as long as it applies the brakes it can snap.
All very true but i think you've missed the point!
The chain there talking about it usually fixed from your winch post to the bow eye.
This way if the winch fails your boat won’t just roll off the back of the trailer on the slipway.
Old 31 August 2012, 09:14   #27

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
I'm not too sure that a safety chain from the winch to bow eye is such a good idea as it's difficult to tension. The idea is to take the strain off of the winch and providing a secondary safety device. Much better to get a ratchet strap and use that.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2012, 09:22   #28

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
After having webbing straps fail on me in the past, I now have a 10mm Dyneema (Kevlar) rope, spliced onto a stainless 3/4 tonne hook. I have a safety chain fastened to the trailer which goes to the bow eye. The winch is braked so I can control the boat once it starts rolling off. The winch handle is removable to stop broken arms & smashed teeth if it all goes tits up. Here's the drill:-
Reverse to bottom of slip (in low box)
Take weight off safety chain with winch & remove safety chain.
Remove winch handle
Give boat a shove & control descent using winch brake.
Recovery is a reversal, I always make sure the safety chain is attached to the eye before pulling up the slip.

Once the boat is off the slip, it's secured to the trailer with 3 ratchet straps, 2 at the stern through the towing eyes & 1 at the bow through the bow eye. The safety chain & winch strap play no part in holding the boat down. If all the straps failed or some numpty forgot to put them onthe safety chain would allow the boat to roll about 50mm back off the trailer & then stop it.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2012, 09:25   #29

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
I have a "triangle" of backup - two wires and the drawbar. A big chunky wire back to the frame that is taught when winched fully home. The other (admiteddly smaller) wire heads forwards to the winch post, and is arranged such that it is slack enough to get the shackle onto the bow eye about 1.5" ahead of "home".

Theory is that there's a heap of energy will need restrained should I have a head on shunt at speed (e.g numptie doing the "oh, he''s got a trailer so will be doing 20MPH so I can pull out in front of him" scenario).

The "slip catch" (forward wire that will be slack most of the time) is there for exactly that - to stop it rolling off the back if the winch strap snaps. 6" of movement won't be a problem on a slip, and there are also two ratchet straps at the stern to stop it rolling back when on the road.
Old 31 August 2012, 11:01   #30

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]All very true but i think you've missed the e trailer on the slipway.
Not missed the point at all just clarifiying with SPR,s earlier post about the legal aspect ,
think after running a club and public having use of the slipway for the last 30 years i know a little about boat/ trailer and winching accidents ,
Old 31 August 2012, 11:08   #31

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
Nick, that s wrong, I don t know which trailer you have but my RIBA trailer did ! FOR SURE ! same system as a car ...
What happens when you revers the trailer?
In the uk you have auto revers which means the brakes will not work going backwards!
I do remember when I first started towing years ago you had to flip a leaver over to stop the brakes coming on when reversing, is this what you have?
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2012, 11:19   #32
dnv

Town: Hamburg
Boat name: Der Delphin
Make: Parker
Engine: Inboard Diesel 120HP
Another aspect to consider is the car
Last weekend we were with 6 RIBs of 5.5m to 8.5m size at the Baltic. Steep ramp, and with a RIB on the trailer and the trailer on the hook and not fully down the Landy's traction/engine/whatever control decided to enter panick mode. There was the rig, close to the water but not close enough and no power left...
Funny thing, and my new argument for mechanical controls.

Sent from my iPhone using Rib.net
Old 31 August 2012, 11:33   #33

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
After having webbing straps fail on me in the past, I now have a 10mm Dyneema (Kevlar) rope, spliced onto a stainless 3/4 tonne hook. I have a safety chain fastened to the trailer which goes to the bow eye. The winch is braked so I can control the boat once it starts rolling off. The winch handle is removable to stop broken arms & smashed teeth if it all goes tits up. Here's the drill:-
Reverse to bottom of slip (in low box)
Take weight off safety chain with winch & remove safety chain.
Remove winch handle
Give boat a shove & control descent using winch brake.
Recovery is a reversal, I always make sure the safety chain is attached to the eye before pulling up the slip.

Once the boat is off the slip, it's secured to the trailer with 3 ratchet straps, 2 at the stern through the towing eyes & 1 at the bow through the bow eye. The safety chain & winch strap play no part in holding the boat down. If all the straps failed or some numpty forgot to put them onthe safety chain would allow the boat to roll about 50mm back off the trailer & then stop it.
What he said.
Old 31 August 2012, 16:32   #34

Town: Oakland CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
I'm not too sure that a safety chain from the winch to bow eye is such a good idea as it's difficult to tension. The idea is to take the strain off of the winch and providing a secondary safety device. Much better to get a ratchet strap and use that.
Idea is not to tension it; it's a backup in case the primary tensioning device (i.e. ratchet strap or winch itself) fails.

That said, I have my chain fairly long, and cinch it up shorter using a steel hook through one of the links.

jky
Old 31 August 2012, 16:48   #35

Town: surrey
Boat name: el nino
Make: tornado humber
Length: 7m +
Engine: outboards
its very simple dont rush
Old 31 August 2012, 18:34   #36

Make: Zodiac Mk I
Engine: 15 hp Yam two stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Always leave the car in gear on the slipway (engine switched off) while you float the boat off. If the handbrake cable gives way... then there will be absolutely nothing you can do to stop it sliding back.

Old 31 August 2012, 18:53   #37

Town: Mallorca
Boat name: Amaroo
Make: Jeanneau & Seago 2.6
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard 200hp & 4hp
MMSI: 235104224
Classic. Although the back doors both nearly closed on him, which could have been bad!

"By skill not force."
Silverfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2012, 21:28   #38
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
i m always using handbrake of the trailer and placing a wheel stop at the back from my car and gear box engaged reverse back . cannot move
Surely you leave your car in first not reverse on a slipway? In reverse if it is steep enough worst case it will actually start the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
In fact it should be weak enough to snap after applying the brakes. A trailer with the brakes locked on disconnected from the tow hook but chained to the car could be messy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Etched in your memory too I see
well it would be rude to forget!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
All very true but i think you've missed the point!
The chain there talking about it usually fixed from your winch post to the bow eye.
This way if the winch fails your boat won’t just roll off the back of the trailer on the slipway.
Both are important. Easy in the haste of hooking up the trailer not to connect the ball properly and then at the top of the slipway it disconnects and rolls back down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne View Post
What happens when you revers the trailer?
In the uk you have auto revers which means the brakes will not work going backwards!
I do remember when I first started towing years ago you had to flip a leaver over to stop the brakes coming on when reversing, is this what you have?
I've only limited experience with braked trailers - but surely the handbrake works in both directions (as opposed to the brakes when driving). Otherwise you are towing up a hill and loose the trailer the cable pulls the brakes on, snaps, and it rolls backwards? or if you park on a slight slope and apply handbrake then disconnect the car it rolls away?
Old 31 August 2012, 22:09   #39

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: Hullabaloo
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
Of course you should stop feeding the algae and weed on the slipway with Grow More
Just so you know Hightower - the slipway is pressure washed EVERY month and then treated with "Ecoslip" a marine friendly inhibitor - not sure that isn't an oximoron. We are of course subject to the tide conditions, but strive to ensure that we get as low to the bottom of the slipway as possible. This was never done before I (KB Dry Stack) took over the management of the slipway. So I think we do our bit!
Old 31 August 2012, 22:20   #40

Town: Sydney
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribtec 890SX
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yamaha ME 421STI x 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow

In Australia we must have safety chains on all trailers including those fitted with a breakaway system.

Hand brakes must also be fitted on all braked trailers although many don't due to brakes seizing due to rust. These hand brakes are often operated from the trailer (not the car) by a ratcheting mechanism and they hold the brakes on regardless of which direction you try to move the trailer. Admittedly many drum brakes do not work as effectively in reverse but it should be enough to hold the trailer if stationary.