Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 11 March 2013, 16:55   #71
Member
 
falcon0310's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: surrey
Boat name: el nino
Make: tornado humber
Length: 7m +
Engine: outboards
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 958
i still have breton ploter iff you know what that is
__________________

__________________
we all mad
falcon0310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2013, 17:04   #72
Member
 
Country: Italy
Length: no boat
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon0310 View Post
i still have breton ploter iff you know what that is
Excellent piece of kit !
__________________

__________________
landlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2013, 19:49   #73
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by martini View Post
We've both got a good few years and plenty of sea miles under our belts in a wide variety of craft - it's a credit to you
Now I knew Mollers was an old bugger, but I thought you were still in your prime!
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2013, 13:20   #74
RIBnet supporter
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,596
RIBase
So much for "professional" skippers with their charts, sextants & chronometers
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2013, 14:20   #75
Member
 
tonto's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Zummerset
Boat name: irven arlyss
Make: Humber Oceanpro
Length: 6m +
Engine: evinrude 135hp
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 394
He was probably asleep and relying on his electronic chart to beep and GPS to tell him where he was

A sextant wouldnt have been any use where he was, but anyone who knew about these things you would know that

What was the saying? Education not regulation
__________________
tonto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2013, 15:48   #76
RIBnet supporter
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,596
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonto View Post
He was probably asleep and relying on his electronic chart to beep and GPS to tell him where he was

A sextant wouldnt have been any use where he was, but anyone who knew about these things you would know that

What was the saying? Education not regulation
It just beggars belief how this could happen, he even refused a tow FFS. he should be strung up, literally from the yardarm.
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2013, 17:26   #77
Member
 
tonto's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Zummerset
Boat name: irven arlyss
Make: Humber Oceanpro
Length: 6m +
Engine: evinrude 135hp
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
It just beggars belief how this could happen, he even refused a tow FFS. he should be strung up, literally from the yardarm.
Did you see what he refused a tow from??

Standsure - Ullapool (UL) - Gallery - TrawlerPictures.net

Not exactly an ocean going tug is it?

He may well have broken down, or had mechanical problems, etc etc.

So let me get this right, Anyone, who for any reason whatsoever, manages to put ANY vessel aground needs to be strung up from the yardarm? right? Immediately, before any form of investigation? That of course would apply to ribs and Wafi's as well.

Just a thought, How many people have been injured? or the question that seems more important to the majority of people these days is, how many litres of oil has been spilled?
__________________
tonto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2013, 18:03   #78
RIBnet supporter
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,596
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonto View Post
Did you see what he refused a tow from??

Standsure - Ullapool (UL) - Gallery - TrawlerPictures.net

Not exactly an ocean going tug is it?

He may well have broken down, or had mechanical problems, etc etc.

So let me get this right, Anyone, who for any reason whatsoever, manages to put ANY vessel aground needs to be strung up from the yardarm? right? Immediately, before any form of investigation? That of course would apply to ribs and Wafi's as well.

Just a thought, How many people have been injured? or the question that seems more important to the majority of people these days is, how many litres of oil has been spilled?
He's a supposedly paid professional, it's his job, he's not a weekend leisure sailor, he's in charge of a feckin great cargo ship, miles off course. Whatever the reason for him running aground, he had chance to drop his anchors waay before he ran aground. Just because no one was hurt or no oil was spilled doesn't make it right, that's like saying speeding or drink driving is ok as long as no-one is hurt. At best he's incompetent, at worst he's criminally negligent either way he's not fit to be in charge.
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2013, 18:12   #79
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Brighton
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 222
Is this a kangaroo court?
__________________
Will75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2013, 18:22   #80
RIBnet supporter
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,596
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will75 View Post
Is this a kangaroo court?
Kangaroo court is a bit strong, I prefer "lynching".... now where's my burning cross & bed sheet
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:13.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.