Old 01 June 2004, 10:24   #1
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Thames to Solent

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw
I have never been East of South Dock (Surrey Quays) and would very much like to do so...Do you have any recomendations of places within reasonably easy reach where you can stop for lunch etc... I'd like to try the Medway, but is that too far? How about Southend, is it worth visiting? Are there any dangers to look out for?

What I would really like to do is take the Rib back to the Solent for the month of August...is it feasable to go by sea? I have a 250 litre fuel tank, but the motor can be thirsty.
There was a recent cruise to Southend where they moored on the pier. Search for Southend and you'll find several threads like this one!

Medway's an easy cruise away, and is an interesting cruising ground in its own right. There are several RIBnetters around that way who would doubtless show you the sights.

Thames to the Solent is absolutely feasible. You could do it in a day, but it would be quite hard work. Two to three days would make it easy.

There's petrol on the quayside at Ramsgate (last time I checked anyway) and at Brighton. Dover is an interesting place to stop and other options include Eastbourne, Newhaven and Littlehampton.

Get the charts out and start planning!

John
Old 01 June 2004, 10:40   #2

Town: Mayfair, London
Make: RibEye/Ferretti 881
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha 25/Twin MTU
I'm definately going to think about it, rather than trailing the boat.

Nearer the time, I may start a thread asking if any experienced offshore ribber with good navigational skills may like to accompany me, as I imagine for safety this trip would need a couple of reasonably experienced crew.
Old 01 June 2004, 16:41   #3

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
I brought "top banana" back from Poole to Ramsgate recently. We took two days, stopping at Easybourne which is all states locked access and had reasonable priced petrol aswell. Plenty of pubs inside the marina complex and a short taxi ride to a cheap B+B.

I've also been from here (Ramsgate/Margate) right up the thames to Chiswick easily in a day and stayed overnight in a not so cheap B+B. The facilities at Chiswick are superb, but pontoon space is limited.

If you want any more info gimme a shout.
Old 01 June 2004, 16:44   #4

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
Infact... could you not join us for the first few days of this...

http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3526

--quote--

Depart Ramsgate Monday 12th July.

This puts us in the Solent for Wednesday 15th July + Thursday 16th if anyone wants to join us

--quote--