Old 17 January 2003, 12:20   #1

Town: Shropshire
Boat name: She's Gorn!
Make: No boat
Length: no boat
Engine: Nada
Tax avoidance on Rib tow car

Any of you fortunate enough to be provided with a car for work will know that the tax laws are changing and over the next couple of years there will be significant tax increases.

With this in mind I've been looking for some ideas to reduce the tax burden but still have a car suitable to tow the Rib, i.e. a decent sized 4WD. It seems that at present, the double cab pick-ups ala Mitsubishi 4life etc., qualify as vans and therefore are only taxed at a fixed charge fo £500/year benefit. Check out http://www.hackeryoung.co.uk/cgi-bin...?sid=26&psid=2 for the detail.

Hope this helps someone!

Regards,
Dave
Old 17 January 2003, 15:19   #2

Town: Newfoundland
Yeah I looked into this previously. The thing is persuading your company car dept to let you have a double cab which doesn't normally appear in the lists from the major lease operators. I also believe that this is a loophole that may well eventually be closed by the revenue. One way to fight this would be to have the company logo etc on the side so you could argue it was a business use vehicle.

The other option which I went for is to exit the company car scheme completely and take the cash alternative (assuming its attractive enough!). I crunched the numbers and found that it worked best for me. Also meant I could drive what I wanted rather than what the company car policy would let me!

Cheers,
Alan
Old 17 January 2003, 22:55   #3

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Nice one, Clarky. Can you get something like a Mitsubishi 4life with automatic transmission? Last time I looked, they were all manual only
Old 18 January 2003, 00:08   #4

Town: Blackpool
Boat name: To Exi
Make: new sib 4 man
Length: 8+ft
Engine: Mariner 4hp long shaft
Well I bought a 140 hp Ford County 4 wheel drive tracter.As I didnt want a four wheel car.We are close to the sea 1/2 mile so its no problem.

Unless you want another head ache on conformaty then please dont ask any questions on using a Tractor.

Old 18 January 2003, 08:28   #5

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Whats the problem with using a tractor?
Old 18 January 2003, 10:04   #6

Town: Worcester
Boat name: Cheap 'N' Cheerful
Make: Avon C
Length: 3.5 metres
Engine: Mariner 8HP O/B 2 stroke.
Company cars.

Clarky,
The Electricity Compay I awork for as an engineer don't give us "Company Cars" nowadays. We buy the cars on a buy/lease scheme from them. They have set up a company in the Isle of Man to administer the scheme. We pay a fixed sum for car, servicing (By the company's garage system) MOT's, wear and tear and major works. Obviously I can't divulge prices but it is saving me a hell of a lot of "TAX" in comparison to the scheme we used to run. This of course was a company car scheme. Also, most people can afford a larger car than they used to.
Bill.
Old 20 January 2003, 19:32   #7

Town: Shropshire
Boat name: She's Gorn!
Make: No boat
Engine: Nada
Hi all,
I guess I should count myself lucky that I get a car atall. Although the way the tax is going up, I think this may be the last. Mmm..a tractor? Never thought of that. I'll have to leave early for appointments. £40k mile a year will take some time!!Pepper, sorry can't help you, I haven't looked in that much detail yet.
Thanks for the comments guys,

Dave