Old 06 September 2011, 18:44   #21

Town: Oxford
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: no boat
Engine: No Boat
I'm also looking for a RIB, although my budget is considerably less than yours. In terms of seating arrangements, I have gone through the same thought process. My children are slightly older, but, I am still concerned for their safety and would not consider anything less than 4 seats. I was thinking 4 jockey seats as I thought a bench at the back may make plaing harder. Obviously depends on the size of the engine. Just a thought!
Old 06 September 2011, 19:03   #22

Make: Avon R280 Tender
Length: under 3m
Engine: Me Rowing!
Polwart, yes think Paul must mean the Sea Pro unless older models are different!

I suppose a lot of the time Kingly it's what layout you will find a boat to have. I wonder how comfortable a bench seat would be bouncing around, although I presume there is less "bang" at the back and your not going to go nuts with kids on board.
Old 06 September 2011, 20:58   #23
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagato View Post
Polwart, yes think Paul must mean the Sea Pro unless older models are different!
No Paul knows his humbers. You are confusing the Sea Pro (a SIB) with the Ocean Pro. Look at the link I posted.

Quote:
I wonder how comfortable a bench seat would be bouncing around, although I presume there is less "bang" at the back and your not going to go nuts with kids on board.
Indeed the back is more comfortable. And IMHO a bench is better for really small kids who can sit their with another adult. Once they get older jockeys are good - but they need the leg strength and ability to hold on with their hands too to get the benefit.
Old 07 September 2011, 08:31   #24

Seating sorted then and I don't know how I was mixing up the ocean and sea pro Thanks for the correction.

A very reasonably quote has come through from Humber for a new Destroyer, especially if i fit it out myself and source cheaper parts A few quid here and there all adds up. E.g. cheaper verticle rubbing strake for the bow, cheaper £100 VHF both roughly half the price. As long as nothing effects the warranty...
Old 07 September 2011, 08:49   #25

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
I'll second the O-Pro comments about being dry. I have it's great grandad (same hull, just a thinner transom so can only hang a 60 on it), and I can stay seated & dry in conditions where on my old SR I was using "knee suspension", working the trottle like a madman to get it through the waves & getting drenched in the process. If you can afford the extra cash, give it serious consideration.

The O-Pro also comes in 2 beam options (3 I think at the longer lengths, although it may be 2.3 / 2.? rather than there being three beams avaialble). There's a 2 & a 2.3m, I forget the "fattest" one's girth.
Old 07 September 2011, 10:35   #26
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channel Ribs View Post
Humber have not fared well recently with feedback on here,
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
Really? That's a sweeping statement
More Raking than Sweeping, I would say

The Recently Appointed agent for Parker Ribs is understandably enthusiastic about his product/commission, but as I'm sure André could tell him, dissing the opposition can raise all sorts of interesting stories about ones own product that one might prefer to remain untold....

Obviously, that is NOT a dig at Parker Ribs on my part
Old 07 September 2011, 10:49   #27

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
dissing the opposition can raise all sorts of interesting stories
Well, clearly the statement that I made with the intention of being a anything but scathing or critical is being taken as such. So I have no hesitation in apologising profusely and unreservedly for any offense caused to current, past or future owners of Humbers.

The remark was made in good faith, on the honest understanding that Humber have indeed not fared well in terms of owner feedback. I did not intend to harm their reputation, not did I intend to bolster anyone elses.
Old 07 September 2011, 11:03   #28

Well the "I'm not a happy chappy" thread has doused my enthusiasm big time It's a lot of money to pay to get such problems. I am still waiting for an answer on the issue before I commit I need full confidence in quality and aftersales before I hand my hard earned over to anyone...also need clarifiaction on the warranty which states 1 or 5 years. One year?
Old 07 September 2011, 11:15   #29

Had a more reassuring chat with Humber, 1 year hull warranty & 5 year tube warranty.
Old 07 September 2011, 13:48   #30

Town: Cardiff
Make: Humber Destroyer 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp OB
Zagato,

Being a current Humber man I could be a little biased but for what I want it is ideal.

As has been said the fit out is by no means luxurious and is very utilitarian but that is what I wanted. It has been bombproof for me with no problems and great sea keeping.

In comparison to the Narwhal, Zodiac, Ribeye and Aquaflyte I have used before I would say it is the best for me.

I regularly take out my 5 year old (admittedly she has been going out since she could stand up so is very used to it) and she is very comfortable. If it isn't to lumpy she tends to stand up in the bow holding on to the lifeline and using her legs to brace. If she feels it is a bit too bumpy she soon elects for the jockey seat with Mum.

From a value perspective they seem to hold their value well, but occasionally you can fall on a good deal if you are willing to travel to collect so keep your eyes open.

I wouldn't discount an ex sailing club / safety boat as long as you go over it in detail and get the reassurance it has been looked after well and regularly serviced.

Hope that helps - feel free to PM me if you want any specifics.

Mike
Old 07 September 2011, 16:06   #31
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Had a more reassuring chat with Humber, 1 year hull warranty & 5 year tube warranty.
Which begs the question... why do they expect their tubes to last longer than their fibre glass. I've nothing against Humber, its even possible that I'd buy one but you need to realise they are mid range. If you wan't "nothing's too much trouble" customer service then you'll need deeper pockets.
Old 07 September 2011, 16:25   #32

Thanks MikeB for the info and offer

Polwart, yes I was surprised at a one year warranty on the hull but then I know very little about it all, maybe it's the rough type of use they could get, beaching/used by companies etc - not sure!!

The tubes are bought in so whoever manufactures them backs the warranty. I wish I could find out who makes the tubes, they are bought in by quite a few UK RIB makers apparently.

I'm still on track for a 5.8 or 6m Humber - renovate one (as I will finishing my current ground up car rebuild and will want another project ), by a newish one second hand or buy a new one and fit it out myself.

I'm not put off by Humbers the explanation they gave with regards to the problems encountered on the "I'm not a happy chappy" thread was err satisfactory backed up by a surveyors report. What ever the right or wrong is in that instance you can always get one that slips through the quality net in any marque. I own Land Rover Defenders so lets face it I am used to buying hand built products that are, shall we say, lacking in quality control sometimes I tend to sort them out myself, it's easier and you know it's been done properly. Get a good one and it will last years, I am hoping my Destroyer will be the same
Old 07 September 2011, 17:15   #33
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Polwart, yes I was surprised at a one year warranty on the hull but then I know very little about it all, maybe it's the rough type of use they could get, beaching/used by companies etc - not sure!!
I'm out of touch so not sure what the "industry norm" is, but when engine manufacuturers are giving 5yr warranties for leisure use its hard to see why a rib being used as intended cannot get the same. Commercial use would be excluded and beaching damage wouldn't count etc. What you would want is that manufacturing faults were warranted - so e.g. if the transom falls off, or the deck rots because someone didn't seal a fitting, or the whole front falls off in Ferryman style... ...now technically all those things are covered by the sale of goods act and "fit for purpose" so even without the warranty you could have a claim. So why would a rib maker not make that clear? After all the hull is usually the bit that is fine.

Quote:
The tubes are bought in so whoever manufactures them backs the warranty. I wish I could find out who makes the tubes, they are bought in by quite a few UK RIB makers apparently.
This quote from their website would seem to contradict that:

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.humberinflatables.co.uk/services.html
We have always produced our inflation collars in house.
Perhaps you have misunderstood and they buy in the fabric - which will probably come from Pennell. In which case is the 5yr warranty on the fabric (as per Pennell's normal terms) or on the manufacture of the tubes (e.g. glue failing)
Old 07 September 2011, 17:34   #34

Ah yes your right, I think I must have misunderstood, it's the fabric they probably buy in. I will check on the next call which brings me to another question - sorry. They say you can either have the tube made as one long tube I think or with visible smaller sections which is cheaper. I would opt for visible sections/seams due to cutting the costs It doesn't have to look pretty just ORANGE

Is there a section on the forum about RIB construction it would be interesting to know how tubes are made, how they are attached to the hull etc? Steering installations etc etc

Sorry for all the questions
Old 07 September 2011, 17:57   #35
RIBnet admin team

Zagato, if you find the "search" button above you will find various rib builds. Likewise if you want something like steering then your should be able to unearth one of many posts on that topic. In terms of tube building then some of the threads will have something but I think there are some videos on Tidel's website (search for Paul Tilley and your should find the address - its something like tidel.biz)
Old 08 September 2011, 06:38   #36

Thanks again I'll do some digging
Old 08 September 2011, 15:50   #37

Well it's coming back to a Humber Destroyer each time. The Searider is a wet boat according to Avon and the Destroyer is a dry boat. Ribtec's classic 585's are made in South Africa and according to Ribtec dealers are not as capable as a Destroyer to quote "the Destroyer is a very high bowed boat, very capable and designed for the North Sea whilst our Ribtec is good for coastal although still classed in the class C bracket"

So for me it's going to be a Humber Destroyer, it's made in England, it's more capable or dryer than the other two, I don't mind it being of commercial heritage and I WANT ONE

Interesting also that people say Avon and Humber are like the Land Rover of RIBs, it's a tired cliche for me already but actually Ribtec was started by Maurice Wilks grandson or similar so THEY REALLY ARE THE LR of the sea. Maurice Wilks is the father of the LR series one of course

I am not keen about Ribeye who own the rights to Ribtec shunning the Ribtec sales through a different company either.....I wonder how long Ribtec as a brand will last as they really try to push Ribeye on you instead of Ribtec They make more through Ribeye as they are off the shelf, Ribtec are classed as more commercial and built to order...sounds like the Ribtec will just peter out eventually....
Old 08 September 2011, 16:05   #38

Town: Salisbury
Boat name: Blue C
Make: XS 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: 125hp Opti
MMSI: 235082826/235909566
Quote:
XS Offer 3 Year warranty !! and tubes are made in house too. Check out their vid on youtube, they hide nothing in the construction!!
Old 08 September 2011, 17:02   #39

Thanks for that much the same spec and price as a Destroyer, I will search for the construction video couldn't see it on their site - that will be interesting Look a very nice bit of kit, I am pretty much sold on a Humber though