Old 30 November 2010, 18:22   #1

Town: south wales
Length: 4m +
taking my 4m rib to greece

hi,
just bought an avon 4m searider and planning on towing it to one of the greek islands . I am told from the seller that it doesnt need a registration form ( ssr ) but i'm not so sure? Can anyone help me as to the correct paper work i require ? much appreciated.
Old 30 November 2010, 18:52   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Welcome to the forum.

Might need some more info for people to answer your question correctly. Here is the sort of info I think might be useful (although not all of it will be necessary it should build a better picture of what you are planning).

(1) Are you buying a boat in the UK?
(2) Are you planning to tow the boat to greece for a holiday (few weeks) or long term/indefinitely
(3) Are you a British / Greek Citizen? Are you resident in Greece / Britain?
(4) Is your question should the seller have had this registered (e.g. on the SSR) in the UK (the answer is probably not), or do YOU need to register it?
Old 01 December 2010, 19:02   #3

thankyou for your relpy.
I am a British resident. I am going to tow the rib to Greece and l am going to leave it there.The boat will be moored in the port for the summer season. I have been aware that the Port Police could ask for registration documents. I have found out you can get a SSR ?. Is this enough to satisfy them?I Any information regarding towing the boat through Europe would be helpful.
Also, this is the first boat I have ever bought. Its Avon 4m searider,comes with a Suzuki 50 hp,single stroke engine...are these any good? Thanks.
Old 01 December 2010, 20:56   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickosurf View Post
thankyou for your relpy.
I am a British resident. I am going to tow the rib to Greece and l am going to leave it there.The boat will be moored in the port for the summer season. I have been aware that the Port Police could ask for registration documents. I have found out you can get a SSR ?. Is this enough to satisfy them?
SSR sounds like the right way to do it (unless its ever been overseas its unlikely to already be registered). However to get a definitive answer I would talk to the RYA and possibly pop over to a greek rib forum (see link in "Europe" section of this site).

Quote:
Any information regarding towing the boat through Europe would be helpful.
Also, this is the first boat I have ever bought. Its Avon 4m searider,comes with a Suzuki 50 hp,single stroke engine...are these any good? Thanks.
4m SR with 50 HP engine is a highly regarded package. Not sure about the Suzi engine (a single stroke engine is a bit "special"!) - but I am sure others will be along shortly to give their opinion on that. However whilst its a great first boat for UK waters, it is probably not the sort of boat normally found in Greece - might be worth considering why that is.
Old 01 December 2010, 21:05   #5

4m SR with 50 HP engine is a highly regarded package. Not sure about the Suzi engine (a single stroke engine is a bit "special"!) - but I am sure others will be along shortly to give their opinion on that. However whilst its a great first boat for UK waters, it is probably not the sort of boat normally found in Greece - might be worth considering why that is. [/QUOTE]
My error.....two stroke...!!!! Very new to forums but i must say that the information here is very helpful. Thankyou again.
Old 01 December 2010, 21:29   #6

Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
This is the formal info and you should register with the local Port Police
You must carry onboard:
Greek translation of your insurance document

Certificate of competence:
A certificate of competence is required. Although Greece has not adopted UNECE Resolution 40 the ICC (valid for the vessel concerned) is generally accepted

Greek Law 3790/2009:
Ownership of a private yacht is considered ‘’proof of wealth” in Greece and increases the potential tax payable. Many Greek owners have therefore taken measures to avoid this and the Greek Tax Office has been trying for years to find a way to “catch them out”. It is likely this law is their latest attempt to combat this.
For motorised boats with a length of less than 10 metres and sailing boats with a length of less than 15 metres, there will be a special registration fee of EUR one (1).

Other:
Ensure that your courtesy flag is in good condition
Safety equipment (flares & lifejackets) should be carried when in a rubber dinghy.

However, depending which part of Greece you are planning to go to the Port Police may or may not know what to apply.

I have taken my RIB to an Ionion island for the last 3 years where my local friends suggested NOT informing the local police as they definitely do not know what to do - and were likely to impound my boat whilst awaiting advice from the main municipality (which would probably take longer than my holiday!)

I use the smile and wave approach with the 'coastguard'

The notes about flares,(and life jackets), courtesy flag and translation of your insurance are key. If you join the RYA you can also get a translation template of your ICC in Greek

Above all - be courteous and observe local 'rules' about mooring, dont bring fish or shellfish ashore (fishing from a boat needs a licence for which you have to have a greek tax no I think)

If you are thinking of leaving her in the water over a long period I assume you know enough locals so you will know most of this. They will also look after your baby. If not .... beware
Old 01 December 2010, 21:53   #7

Town: Plymouth
Length: 10m +
I have transported several boats down to Greece over the last few years, so hopefully can offer you some help. You will need:

Registration document - SSR is the easiest and cheapest way. See http://www.mcga.gov.uk/c4mca/ukr-hom...smallships.htm. The SSR number must be permanently marked on the boat.

Proof of 3rd party insurance.

Proof of CE conformity if boat was built after 16th June 1998.

Proof of ownership - Purchase invoice.

Proof of VAT status

VHF Radio Licence for vessel and operator

Certificate of competence to operate vessel - ICC

The towing laws vary considerably from country to country. For example of France you will need to fit 80/90km stickers and carry 2 warning triangles (in addition to the normal driving kit). For boats over 2.55m wide you will need a special permit in most countries, but this should not apply to you.

Please feel free to PM me if you want any more advice.

Michael
SW Boat Transport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 December 2010, 22:28   #8

BIg thankyou to Jeff and SW Rib for your information,most helpful..!
A few things i'm not sure about....
1) Proof of ownership...is this just a receipt from the seller?
2) VAT invoice..? also from the seller?
3) VHF radio licence? Is this really required? I don't have a radio on board and do not intend to go out to sea. I'm only sticking to the coastline for spearfishing/fishing.
4) Proof of CE Conformity? I don't know what this is???
I intend to drive through France then to Switzerland and then to catch the ferry from Venice. Are there different rules to tow through each country ..if you now what I mean?

Many Thanks again .
Old 02 December 2010, 11:35   #9

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickosurf View Post
4) Proof of CE Conformity? I don't know what this is???
CE plate should on the transom stating the builder of the boat, max hp, build date, etc.