Old 17 September 2011, 04:32   #1

Town: Towcester
Boat name: TBA
Make: Delta
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 175
taking EPIRB & VHF on flight

Hi

I have been getting mixed advice as to taking an EPIRB and a hand held VHF on an airline flight.
advice so far is:[LIST]
Don't
Do but in hold luggage
You may be able to but contact the airline first (not easy with faceless airlines, on line booking)
All ok, take in hand luggage and display confidently in plastic tray at scanner

Any definative help/advice would be good

ps - I dont take life jacket due to compressed air canister
thanks
Paul
Old 17 September 2011, 06:15   #2

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
I think you'll be fine in your hold luggage, although I'd remove the aerial.
A lad I know took one as hand luggage and they made him remove the aerial and give it to the pilot so it couldn't "transmit".
Old 17 September 2011, 08:06   #3
RIBnet Supporter

I've taken a PLB in cabin baggage on a few different airlines - never had a comment/problem. I'd remove the battery/ANT from the VHF and give it a try too.

I wouldn't contact them beforehand, or draw Security's attention to the kit. That just gives some jobsworth a chance to prevaricate. "They're not on the list of Prohibited Items" would be my line...
Old 17 September 2011, 08:13   #4

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
You really need to check with the airline, lifejackets and transmitters are ok in terms of CAA specifications but if the guys on security question it and you do not have permission in advance from the airline they may well confiscate any or all.
Old 17 September 2011, 08:17   #5
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channel Ribs View Post
You really need to check with the airline
Security don't work for the airline and the Airline don't check your bags - a minefield if you'll pardon the term...
Old 17 September 2011, 08:20   #6

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I've taken a PLB in cabin baggage on a few different airlines
Someone's been watching too much Bear Grylls
Old 17 September 2011, 08:25   #7
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by martini View Post
Someone's been watching too much Bear Grylls
Innocent of the Charges - don't have a television. I take it as I do a spot of solo hiking in rather quiet places...
Old 17 September 2011, 08:57   #8

Quote:
Security don't work for the airline and the Airline don't check your bags.
Security are there to identify prohibited items, if there is something that they are concerned about they can refer the item to the airline. If this happens without any prior arrangement 99.9% of the time the item will be confiscated.

List of prohibited items:

Dangerous and restricted items: what you cannot take on board an aircraft : Directgov - Travel and transport
Old 17 September 2011, 16:01   #9
RIBnet Supporter

Don't see the kit on there...
Old 17 September 2011, 16:28   #10

Quote:
Don't see the kit on there...
Correct, which is why the only really sure way is to have something from the airline because the lists are not exhaustive.

Something not being on the list is not a licence to carry it on a flight.

This all refers to hand luggage, by far the easier way is to make the VHF and EPIRB as safe as possible and pack in the hold luggage.
Old 17 September 2011, 17:39   #11
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
They don't confiscate items from hand luggage unless they are illegal. IF they decided you weren't allowed it in hand luggage then you would be required to check it (possibly at additional cost) the only issue is then if you are too short of time to check it and get back through security to catch your flight.

I have flown with a whole load of weird stuff in hand luggage and actually it almost never causes a problem. Ironically you are more likely to get stopped for some oversize shampoo or a pair of nail scissors than anything like a VHF or EPIRB. The exact interpretation varies from airport to airport (even within the UK). If they say no there is no point in arguing with them though as these guys aren't paid to interpret rules, only to implement someone else's interpretation.

Personally I'd put them in hand luggage, and remove them for individual screening like laptops. There's no logic to removing the aerial or battery as you could easily refit it. I have always removed "odd" items which I expected would cause a "WTF is that?" on the x-ray, and never had a problem. I've always had a quick, carefully worded laymans explanation of what it was ready but only been asked a fraction of the time. You can expect it to get an explosives residue swab, but there is no reason to think that would be a problem.

If you don't want that hassle then put it in your hold luggage. From what I can tell it almost never gets opened almost regardless of what is inside it. However I would add some sort of cheap lock (if they are genuinely concerned it will be removed) because the only thing that has ever gone "awol" from my luggage was a handheld GPS, which was in an unsecured bag.
Old 17 September 2011, 18:34   #12
RIBnet Supporter

Sounds right P. I suggest removing batteries as it avoids accidental deployment. I prefer carry-on as you can answer the questions. Have have kit swabbed but never lifted...
Old 18 September 2011, 00:00   #13

Town: London
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp
I have had a VHF radio with me on a flight, with batteries on and passed through the security with no problem.

They are classified as "Electronic" Items so no one should stop you from carrying them on the plane, however using them whilst flying is a different matter.
Old 18 September 2011, 01:09   #14

Town: Fareham
Don't carry the VHF into the cabin Paul. You'll get it taken off you for sure. It's a walky talky and what terrorists could use to co-ordinate a hi-jacking.

Check it in the hold Paul. I used to fly out the States all the time with a toolkit on wheels. Had all sorts in there, even a stick of putty that was the same size and shape as dynamite (yes I've seen a stick). Disconect any battery if you can just to safegaurd against it switching on and you'll be fine.

Do however leave the case unlocked, fit a double strap around the case to prevent it from opening accidentilly. That way when you're luggage gets scanned they can have a look without busting open your case

I've also bought back all sorts of stuff too, mainly boaty stuff like props and hydraulic steering helms etc

PS: make sure they are insured for the trip

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2011, 07:27   #15

Town: Bangor
Boat name: Mitigator
Make: XS
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mercury Verado 250
You're pretty much all correct - to some degree! I work in the airline industry as a pilot and have to say that British security is amongst the most rulebound yet unpredictable in the world. They take my stuff off me if it is 20ml too big just like they do to you - and I am locked in the flight deck flying the plane! How much shampoo do I need to gain access to the flight deck and crash an aircraft? Ummmm... oh dear.

As a pilot, my main concern would be accidental activation of an EPIRB - and even then, it wouldn't be that much of an issue, as EPIRBs doing 500 knots tend not to be taken TOO seriously.

I hate to rain on such a logical idea Channel Ribs, but security are a law unto themselves where passenger stuff is concerned - the airlines have no real input, so don't rely on a letter from them. I watched as security confiscated one of those air pump guns that fire soft balls from a bewildered passenger. When I discovered what flight she was on (ie. mine), I told the security guy that as Captain of the aircraft, I had no problem with the lady bringing a child's toy on board. He told me it was nothing to do with me and took it anyway! He then went on to rummage me too....! You couldn't make it up....

I reckon that on balance, the path of least resistance is to make sure the items are safe (remove batteries if possible) and bung them in your checked baggage - with a decent lock on them. Photograph them in situ and make sure they are insured!

Hope that helps?

Regds

Mike
Old 18 September 2011, 08:28   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-m View Post
I hate to rain on such a logical idea Channel Ribs, but security are a law unto themselves where passenger stuff is concerned - the airlines have no real input, so don't rely on a letter from them.
No worries Mike, as someone who provides cover for aviation security I am happy to bow to the superior knowledge of a CCC.
Old 18 September 2011, 08:34   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-m View Post
I watched as security confiscated one of those air pump guns that fire soft balls from a bewildered passenger. When I discovered what flight she was on (ie. mine), I told the security guy that as Captain of the aircraft, I had no problem with the lady bringing a child's toy on board
Anything that resembles a firearm, be it a replica or a toy, is prohibited from cabin luggage. I don't know what the policies are of the companies involved, but I guess your only realistic option was to suggest it be taken by ground crew to be placed in the hold.
Old 18 September 2011, 09:34   #18

Town: Fareham
I once had my carry on xrayed. The security then beckoned several gaurds that came over and undid their clips on their holsters. She then asked me if I had any objections to my carry on being checked Of course not

As she peeled back the layers in my bag I wondered what she'd seen. She then reached in an pulled out a water hose gun that I'd picked up from Walmart on the way to the airport

Another trip, this time coming back from Brazil I placed my hand in to my pocket to empty the contence in to the tray and relized I'd not checked my Swiss army knife. Oh crap I thought (my father had given me this years ago and carried sentimentle value). I buried it under coins and wallet etc and as it went though I hoped for the best. I couldn't beleive my luck as they hadn't noticed. I picked it up and placed it back in to my pocket. After we landed in Madrid for my connecting flight I had to go though the security all again. Again I couldn't beleive my luck as they missed it again. How lucky was I?

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2011, 10:22   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channel Ribs View Post
No worries Mike, as someone who provides cover for aviation security I am happy to bow to the superior knowledge of a CCC.
Ah, go on then.... CCC??!

Do you man the x-ray machines?! If you provide cover for Aviation Security you probably know that individual airports have to meet DFT standards, but can then apply their own additional rules. This also seems to apply to staff on the day! No offence intended though!!!

It does result in a hodge podge of different standards applied at different airports though....

As for objects resembling firearms, well, yes, they are confiscated - understandably... but a soft ball gun is a clear plastic tube with a few sponge balls in it! Doubt anyone could seriously compare it to a firearm? And to say it is nothing to do with the captain of the aircraft??!!

Anyway, hope the advice helps!

Mike
Old 18 September 2011, 10:27   #20

...oh, meant to ask - have you got the Raymarine E7 in yet? How do you rate it compared to Garmin 750? Can you PM me if you have any info?

Sorry for thread creep!!