Old 10 November 2006, 12:11   #1

Town: London / Ibiza
Length: 4m +
Engine: 75 HP Yam outboard
Taking a Rib to Spain

Hi. Im new here (first post) so sorry if it's been asked before, ive had a quick search & couldnt find the answers easily.

I'm in the process of moving to Spain (Ibiza) & have just bought a second-hand 4.5m rib in the Uk which i want to take out there with me. I only intend using it for pleasure use, wakeboarding, short coastal trips etc. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what the (spanish) rules or law is with regards to this, i.e.

1) paperwork required to take it there (have only hand-written receipt from previous owner)
2) paperwork / licences / permits required to use it there and where how to get it (courses involved etc)
3) any other considerations i may not have thought of, as my experience tells me there are bound to be some?

many thanks for your knowledge & time in advance
Old 10 November 2006, 13:52   #2

hmm.

25 views, no replies. would a picture of it help?

Old 10 November 2006, 14:16   #3

Town: west sussex
Make: (on order)
Length: 6m +
Engine: not sure
we have done this - ibiza

SSR/ insurance / vat receipt/ vhf licence (if you've got one) and ICC qualification. Dont think there is any more(!!!) you need, but I may be wrong. If you are moving permenently and you intend to become a resident you may have to re-flag the boat when you change residents status. Not sure exactly about this as we are holidaymakers and have kept it flagged under uk. Just make sure you fly the red ensign and the police will generally leave you alone. Best to make sure you carry all those (or copies) on you, when in the boat including you NIE (?) paperwork.

BTW what town are you moving to on the island?

The Guardia Civil tend to occasionally check these items and generally visit Marina's unannounced

Any more quessy's and ill try to help
Old 10 November 2006, 14:38   #4

re

Hi Widey & thx for yr reply.

Ok, so SSR? que? any further info / links ? ok, found this online, thanks and insurance? what type? ..like 3rd party liability for a car sorta thing?

VAT receipt, hmm. nope, dont have. just the hand-written receipt from previous owner.

ICC i'm gonna have to do, obviously, and VHF too i suppose.

i spent 6 months in Benirras this year, but think Im going to be in the Santa Eularia / Siesta kind of area. maybe Jesus? where are you based when out there?

NIE number will come when my residencia is completed i suppose. are the Guardia liable to stop you when youre out & demand the papers then?
Old 10 November 2006, 18:10   #5

Town: west sussex
Make: (on order)
Length: 6m +
Engine: not sure
sorry, SSR Small Ships Register available from the MCA Marine and Coastguard Agency. You can complete online and pay a small fee.

Boat Insurance we got our from Carters but search around here and you'll find other firms who will insure the boat abroad.

ICC comes from various sources. We did ours through British Water Ski but do a search their are other routes. The BWS route has to be done through an approved centre such as a ski club or ski skool. enquire for prices. You could find someone in Majorca but not sure about Ibiza.

Not sure what to do about the receipt thingy, again ask the MCA.

Not sure if you have to have the vhf thingy but im sure their are plenty here who say you should from a safety point of view.

the Guardia tend to blitz the ports and Marinas and they wont let you go unless they see all the relevent papers. I think, technically, they can confiscate your boat if you dont have them.

Benirras, fantastic. We are in Eularia. You can launch from Mariners by the river, bit shallow though but still do-able. There might be a slip at Punta Arabia (i think), Xarracca. You can launch at Benirras. Good to know if it gets a bit rough to go around the Island to calmer waters

NIE you should get straight away as soon as you have purchased on the Island or are living there. Thought you needed it to open a bank account. A trip down the Policia Local on the ring road around Ibiza Town is in order. Get there for 8.30 and wait...........and wait. Oh, and speak Spanish, otherwise it can get tricky. P/copy of passport is needed.

Fantastic place to have a boat. Good luck!
Old 17 November 2006, 17:45   #6

Help Identify please?

Hi again.

Ok thanks for all the info & advice. looks like it will be sometime before we can get this abroad.

First things first, it would be very helpful on the "VAT Paid" trail if we knew what it was. no-one seems to know, tracing back through previous owners as far as we can, and i can find nothing else like it on the net anywhere.

It has no maker, or HIN plates or recognisable numbering of anykind.

any suggestions Rib.net? some of you are like fountains of knowledge on all things Rib. (I've been reading the forum backpages)
Old 17 November 2006, 22:05   #7

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevgrantuk View Post
First things first, it would be very helpful on the "VAT Paid" trail if we knew what it was. no-one seems to know, tracing back through previous owners as far as we can, and i can find nothing else like it on the net anywhere.
If you have a read of the RYA site they cover things like VAT and lack of proof in the members area.

Pete