Click Here to Login

Old 03 August 2004, 21:50   #101

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Alan, Egbert, Kevin and Paul are relaxing now having had food.
Egbert reports that 2 fantastic people from the Seamen's Mission sorted out, washed, dried all their kit...bought them boots and other kit (guess replacement undercrackers were on the list somewhere ...)
The lads want to thank you John and Ruth very much for doing all that as well as sorting out a place to stay and food.

As they are sitting together, trying to collect their thoughts and recover mentally and physically from their ordeal, Egbert remembers a 6'6 'guy called Jerry' who 'came down the line' (from the chopper) ...'in the pitch black...at midnight...in the fog.' ... 'This guy propels out of a helicopter a couple of hundred feet up'. 'We had a building sea and heavy easterlies. The boat was without steerage. Rollers were crashing over us. We were wet, scared, cold...just trying to survive...' 'This guy Jerry came down the line...'

When the crew tried to thank the chopper crew...Jerry said 'that's what we do'. (Incredible...)

Egbert also says ; 'this crew pushed the limit...refuelled on (RN) St. George. They put their lives on the line for us..' (by landing) at 2.00 a.m. on a pitching Royal Naval Boat in the North Atlantic. It was life-altering.'

'This time last night ......we were trying to get through it...these people put their lives in danger to save us'.

pp Egbert
Old 03 August 2004, 22:17   #102

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin
No one goes to sea with the intention of this happening, they are not out there pushing limits irresponsibly, ...............these men are paid for their work.We all have choices we can make,adventure is in all of us I take my hat of to the crew of Spirit.
Well said Gav.
Old 03 August 2004, 22:23   #103

Town: Helston, Cornwall
Boat name: Silver Fern
Make: Rayglass Protector
Engine: 2 x 250hp Verado
MMSI: 235024092
Send a message via AIM to gingercoastie Send a message via MSN to gingercoastie
Glad to hear that everyone is ok

I am sure that everyone involved in the rescue were pleased to be dealing with a well prepared crew acting in a professional manner. It makes thier job a lot easier. Everyone one knows that stuff happens, but when all reasonable precautions have been taken, and preperations have been made should the worst happen then I am sure help is/was and will be gladly offered.

Its the prats sailing around the coast with a AA roadatlas and a mobile phone that wind up and annoy the emrgency services. (thats my opinion and not that of the MCA)

God save the EPIRB.

Its all got to go - make me an offer...............

Skype - alexgreig
gingercoastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 August 2004, 22:39   #104

Well said Ging. too...

Kevin (Aging Y.) has just said hi to you all and thanks again and that his new name will not be Aging Jonah contrary to rumours...

pp Kev

Alan says although Spirit is headed for Davy Jones' locker the crew are 'back on the up'.
'It's not going to be easy this time'. But right now 'they're all feeling a lot better'.

pp Alan

(This time last night I was trying to get through on the sat. phone for an update...K.)
Old 03 August 2004, 22:46   #105

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingercoastie

Its the prats sailing around the coast with a AA roadatlas and a mobile phone that wind and anoy the emrgency services. (thats my opinion and not that of the MCA)

God save the EPIRB.
Oy you leave my mate gArfie alone
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 August 2004, 22:53   #106

(good one R.W. That's him exactly isn't it... The original Milk Tray Man. )

Fiona Nicholas wants me to say as well....'there but for the grace of God...'

(I think someone else said that too but I'm too tired to check.)

Better night tonight all involved...

Us
Old 03 August 2004, 22:53   #107

Town: Sevenoaks
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp Mariner
Send a message via AIM to Andy.R
Glad to hear they are all ok...

Just wanted to add my voice and say glad the crew are all ok.
Bit of a sad end to a boat that had a pretty amazing history. Just glad I got to have a ride on her with Alan a few weeks back in the Solent (thanks again Alan).
I bet the group in Canada that were planning on using Spirit for Whale Watching are a bit down in the dumps with the news.
Again, am very glad they are all safe, well done to the Rescue crews, and am waiting with baited breath to read the full detail of their ordeal.
Cheers,
Andy.
z
Old 03 August 2004, 22:57   #108

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackeens
....'there but for the grace of God...'
We've just been discussing this in the pub and one of the lads reckoned it was the previous crew that stressed the boat
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 August 2004, 23:01   #109

With all the miles on the clock I don't think our jaunt round Ireland did any harm...women drivers and all that.

Actually I remember JK parking himself on the bow as the boat left RIBEX.
Reckon that was it.

K
Old 03 August 2004, 23:07   #110

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Alan and Egbert have just been on the Gaelic news. They very much praised all the crews involved for their help.

It was firmy suggested, by a member of the helicopter team, that the boat had hit a large hard object.

The helicopter had to land on a ship to refuel and the crew said it took their and the ship's best efforts to manage the landing because of the poor weather conditions. Big seas coming in from the east. The infrared camera on the heli showed the landing taking place.
Old 03 August 2004, 23:16   #111

Town: Portchester
Boat name: South Coast Two
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90
Just finished on the phone with Kevin, they have had a good night and he is looking forward to getting home, this isn't the end, just a different begining.

We are looking forward to their return tomorrow.

Froglover
Old 03 August 2004, 23:35   #112

Town: Bangor
Boat name: El-torro
Make: Redbay 6.5m
Length: no boat
Engine: inboard diesel
lives at risk

lives where put at risk in this venture, the 4 crew. they knew what they where attempting and the risks involved. Thankfully no lives where lost.
The rescue crews may well have done the job they are paid for.They also volunteered for that particular job within the services. Helicopters, on this type of mission are very much in a high risk area and if it hadn't been for the RN vessel in the area, then a rescue such as this one, perhaps would not have happened. Helicopters on a round trip of 400 miles are at the limit of their range. So well done to all concerned.
To Alan P. I am glad that you and the 3 lads are OK and you will be back with us all very soon. I look forward to your storey in the RIB magazine soon.
Safety of Life at Sea, SOLAS, is the one responsibility we all have to one another. If you are not a member of the RNLI, then join, even when they do not operate so far from shore. One day, you may be very glad of their presence. Bet you all, Alan is already planning his new boat and new challenge.
Old 03 August 2004, 23:38   #113

Well said.

It was nice to meet you in Bangor at the weekend.

Good of you to come over to Alan and crew to wish them well despite a hectic RIBraid schedule.

K & P
Old 03 August 2004, 23:46   #114

Town: Bangor
Boat name: El-torro
Make: Redbay 6.5m
Length: no boat
Engine: inboard diesel
who are you ?

I use my name, why don,t you all? who am I talking too?
Old 03 August 2004, 23:47   #115

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Just pause for a minute and consider the scale of the rescue operation....

As I understand it, there was a Nimrod did a recce? Coastguard helicopter despached beyond its operating range, and renezvous with a RN supply ship to refuel at sea. All co-ordinated between the Coastguard, RAF and RN.

When you're back in the office, trying to get two departments to work together, remember this.
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 August 2004, 23:50   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter bullick
I use my name, why don,t you all? who am I talking too?
I guess you must be new

Kathleen and Paul...we came up to Bangor with Gavin .

I went round Ireland with Fiona.

I noticed you coming up to wish Alan well before he left for the boat.

(It's OK to call me Missus too. )
Old 04 August 2004, 01:47   #117

Town: Devon, Alberta
What a night!

Hi everyone. I was just talking to Dad (Eg Walters) via phone from Scotland and he appears to be doing well. He recounted the harrowing events from last night and I got goose-bumps on my arms!

On behalf of our family, I'd like to thank everyone for their support and encouragement.

Cheers to the "Spirit" crew and their ability to work as a team to make it through the ordeal.

Dad, a cat only has 9 lives - I think you have used up most of yours!

What can you say to the rescue teams who risked their lives to save them??? Thanks just doesn't cut it. They are an AMAZING bunch of individuals!
Old 04 August 2004, 04:29   #118

Town: Los Angeles
Boat name: The Boot
Make: Avon SR4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 2000 Tohatsu 50
Sounds like an epic tale. Its good to hear they all made it out alive and well. I hope to hear more details as time goes on.
Old 04 August 2004, 06:37   #119
RIBnet supporter

Town: Lymington Hampshire
Boat name: Hot Lemon
Make: Scorpion
Engine: Yanmar diesel
MMSI: 235
Rescue services

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteb
Please do not take this the wrong way, but the true heroes IMHO are the pilots and crew of the aircraft and ship that went to help, especially the helicopter which was operating at its limits. Perhaps we should spare a thought for the bravery of the crew and their partners and children who waited anxiously for their return.

I don't want to spoil the fact that the crew of the RIB acted bravely and professionaly, but one does wonder whether it is right to do such trips where others lives are put in danger. The cost in monetory terms and others lives put at risk over the last few weeks including Ireland by the RIB HAS to be questioned, someone will have to pay for it, and it will make any money raised look very small indeed. I do think a collection should be made for the rescue crews, they are the ones that should be getting medals!

I am sure that such trips would be different without the aid of beacons and satellite phones, and without doubt these DID save lives, it is very easy to rely on these devices, but had they been unusable things could have been very different. This was a very lucky escape, and happily so for all of us and those concerned.

Perhaps now enough is enough, nothing is worth unnecessarily risking others lives for. If challenges do go ahead then perhaps they should have a full backup crew of volunteers who will carry out any rescue.

It would be nice to see some public thanks to the rescue crews rather than :-

- "It will teach us - we'll learn something from it," he said, promising to be back in the water soon. -

I saw no mention of any thanks at all for the rescue in any reports, but perhaps that was edited out by the media.

Just my personal views on it all, so happy everyone ended up safe.

Here we go this should rattle a few cages !Glad to know the boys are now safe and I HOPE planning their next trip .
Without people like them who are prepared to take caculated risk we would all be the poorer , Everest would still be unclimbed. Both Poles would not have been visited sound barrier still unbroken etc etc .
As to the costs, well what do you think those ships and helicopters would have been doing ,they would have used the same fuel the next day on training sorties routine flights and general messing around ,give them all the fuel they want and let them train as much as they need .The fuel costs next to nothing if you have no taxes on it theres plenty around , the news last night said there was tons of it left well past 2030. We could do without all these nanny state minders telling us how to run our lives.
The rescue services do it because it is their job! they love it and and would not volunteer if they did not .
Go on guys do another one soon !!
Old 04 August 2004, 07:53   #120

Town: Port St Mary
Boat name: No room for a name
Make: Honwave 2.7 ie
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda 5
The crew are safe, the rib is lost and the helicopter crew did another magnificent job.
To quote the guy Eg was relating to “it is what we do” just like the lifeboat crews, ambulance crews and bomb disposal men from the army and police. My point is, if we all keep our ribs on the boat park and only venture out if the sea is calm and we have no wind then is unlikely we will need to put the lifeboat men in danger, or maybe we should start to cook all our meals in the great outdoors to save the life of a fireman. We are involved in a potentially dangerous sport and the men and women who come to our aid do it because they want to do it, after all how many lifeboat crews race yachts in their spare time or how many RAF pilots fly smaller and less well equipped aircraft just for fun and then look at the Red Arrows, I cannot think of a more dangerous pastime than that (the pilots are all volunteers) so Allan,Eg.Paul and Steve, DO IT AGAIN SOON and show the rest of us up. The Wright Brothers took stupid risks so we can holiday in Spain You are helping to develop the ribs we enjoy driving (but only in the calmest of weathers)

Paul, I did say at the Beresford that I never posted, but a couple of quotes got me wound up.

Take care and Kathleen thanks for keeping us all up to date.

Dave

Take care

Dave