Old 15 August 2005, 12:56   #1

Town: London
Length: no boat
Swinging mooring - home made?

Two questions:

1. Is there anything to stop me from dropping my own temporary mooring in an area where many boats are moored? I'm talking Abersoch bay.

If not...

2. What do you think to simply using a massive anchor, a weight, some chain and a buoy?

6m boat. I only need it for a week.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!
Old 15 August 2005, 12:59   #2

Town: St Peter Port
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: XS-Ribs
Length: 9m +
Engine: 2 x 225hp Optimax
Can't speak for Abersoch, but you'd get ya bollix ripped off over here if you tried that in any of the main moorings without permission!

Normally lots of moored boats in the same place means someone is charging for it.

I'd pick somewhere a little quieter with 5 or 6 boats anchored up and you'll be fine with a heavy anchor and lots of chain..... weather dependant of course!
Old 15 August 2005, 13:03   #3

Town: Leatherhead
Also check your insurance policy - they might not take too kindly to "home-made" moorings.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! Bullshit and brilliance only come with age and experience.
Ribald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2005, 13:32   #4

Just spoke to the guy who lays the moorings up there (who's son is also Abersoch's harbour master).

He tells me that that will be fine. I have a 20lb danforth with 100ft chain. He thinks that will be fine with no extra weight. He did warn me that a concrete block will quickly sink into the sand and be impossible to lift by hand.

Good point about the insurance. I'll have to look into that.

Any comments?
Old 15 August 2005, 14:25   #5

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich L
Any comments?
For a reliable safeish mooring do the following but don’t trust a single anchor they always move especially when you want them most

Get two anchors with a length of chain between them and then come off the middle of this with another chain to your buoy. The length of the connecting chain depends on the local conditions and weight of your boat, for my boat (2Tons) I used 12 mtrs.

This can be difficult to lay but the trick is to lay one anchor as you would normally then tie a rope to the heel of the second anchor and lower it to the sea bed will pulling it in away from the first anchor, this is best done at low tide. Better still dive on the second anchor and push it into the sea bed. The rope you tie through the heel should be fixed in such a way that you can release it, slip knot or loop etc.
Lay the two anchors inline with the current or prevailing wind depending on which you think will be the greater. Whole cost about £150 for parts your time while on holiday priceless.
Alternatively pay the marine £12 a night which will be cheaper, safer and easier

Des
Old 15 August 2005, 14:38   #6

Thanks for that.

Normally I'd rent a mooring - which has many benefits including use of the yacht club launch, bar and toilets - all for no more than a normal launch fee. No brainer.

But apparently it's a busy week and there are none spare . I did try to book months ago.

They also tend to put you on other peoples moorings. One year somebody moved by boat and left me a snotty note saying "I pay for my mooring etc etc". Obviously didn't realise I was paying for it too!

I reckon there's a good chance there'll be one spare 'on the day' but just want to be prepared.

Thanks again.
Old 15 August 2005, 20:36   #7

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
No what you need is an old car tyre, wedge a lump of chipboard into one side and fill with concrete making sure you leave a hole throught the centre, then when set remove the chipboard from the tyre and thread a short lenght of your chain through the centre, link the two together to form a loop and then thread the main mooring chain or rope through the chain loop, secure a bouy on the surface end and dump the entire lot over the side where you want to moor. end of the week undo the bouy and pull the rope or chain through the loop abandoning the concrete on the bottom.

Alternatively purchase an old Evinrude, hook a chain to it and throw it over the side its the only good thing you can use an Evinrude for
Old 16 August 2005, 01:30   #8

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by pettal

Normally lots of moored boats in the same place means someone is charging for it.
Just cos they charge doesn't mean they have the RIGHT to do it!!!!
Old 16 August 2005, 07:28   #9

Town: Dublin.
Boat name: Tender 2.
Make: Valiant DR 600
Engine: 150 Optimax
MMSI: coming soon !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich L
Good point about the insurance. I'll have to look into that.

Any comments?

If anything happens to the boat dont tell the insurance company you were on a mooring .
Old 16 August 2005, 08:06   #10

Town: St Peter Port
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: XS-Ribs
Length: 9m +
Engine: 2 x 225hp Optimax
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Just cos they charge doesn't mean they have the RIGHT to do it!!!!
Very true!

We had some cheeky bstrd's a few years ago in Sark trying to charge £20 a day for moorings that didn't belong to them. They looked official so most people either paid or went and anchored elsewhere........until we turned up!

20 hairy divers in three RIBs containing 4 coppers, 2 fireman, 3 lawyers, 8 fishermen and us. We soon cleared the area of thieving little toe rags!!
Old 16 August 2005, 16:31   #11

Town: Nutbourne
Boat name: Renegade
Make: Porter
Engine: 140 Tohatsu
MMSI: 235022904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge Rat
end of the week undo the bouy and pull the rope or chain through the loop abandoning the concrete on the bottom.
Alternativly, flog it to the next holiday-maker.
Old 17 August 2005, 19:36   #12

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Halliday
Alternativly, flog it to the next holiday-maker.
Thats a great idea, hadn't thought of that one, another idea springs to mind, rig up a few and charge rental on them before you know it your'll be loaded