Old 17 January 2014, 15:00   #1

Town: West Midlands
Boat name: Freespirit
Make: Redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
Suzuki DF140 engine height

Hello folks after some advice feedback please

We bought our secondhand 2002 redbay 6.1 last year that has a DF140 fitted to it.

Boat and ride fantastic but on our first journey noticed lots of spray coming up the transom. suspected engine height but needed to do some more checking.

As you would expect hull grip and ride were great, when I got home I decided to measure the engine plate against the bottom of the hull, with a straightedge and tape measure and the plate is 35mm below the line of the hull, hence the spray coming up the leg.

Talking to redbay this is how they used to set some boats up back in the day for bad weather protection.

I would like to squeeze some extra speed and also optimise fuel where I can.

I am thinking of taking the engine up a hole or two, question I have is do most of you have a setup with the DF140 that is inline or slightly lower than the hull line.

Want to improve effeiciency but dont to lose grip or ride.

Any help would be appeciated
Old 17 January 2014, 16:14   #2
RMS

Town: Pudsey
Boat name: Aquaticus / HATOWIL
Make: Ribquest and Zodiac
Engine: Suzuki 140 and 90
I have the same engine on a 6.3 boat and no spray issues. Over the weekend I'll measure how it sits relative to the boat and let you know.
Old 17 January 2014, 17:59   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMS View Post
I have the same engine on a 6.3 boat and no spray issues. Over the weekend I'll measure how it sits relative to the boat and let you know.
Many thanks, keen to understand if suzuki recommend the engines to be set level, I remember from the past that mercury mariner recommend the engines plate to be above the hull baseline by up to 45-50mm.

Just wondered if there were any littlest quirks with the df140, I guess the 90 and 115 will be the same setup, engine is a df140z 2002.

Thanks for reading
Old 18 January 2014, 13:46   #4
RMS

Town: Pudsey
Boat name: Aquaticus / HATOWIL
Make: Ribquest and Zodiac
Engine: Suzuki 140 and 90
Can't measure across because on the trailer I can't trim the leg right in to the transom. There isn't enough clearance under the prop. However these photos give an idea, although exaggerate the height that the cav plate sits above the line of the keel

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-446906285.jpg
Views:	564
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	89299

Name:	image-2777485300.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	89300
Old 18 January 2014, 14:32   #5

Town: Douglas
Length: no boat
I set my DF140 up on a Humber 6.3m Ocean Pro with the cav plate 12mm above the hull bottom and it worked well.
If my aged memory serves me well I think this was Suzuki's recommended location, or else it was Humber's !!!
Old 18 January 2014, 15:19   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMS View Post
Can't measure across because on the trailer I can't trim the leg right in to the transom. There isn't enough clearance under the prop. However these photos give an idea, although exaggerate the height that the cav plate sits above the line of the keel

Attachment 89299

Attachment 89300
Thanks for taking a look at this for me, yours does look slightly higher than base of the hull.
Old 18 January 2014, 15:23   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypman View Post
I set my DF140 up on a Humber 6.3m Ocean Pro with the cav plate 12mm above the hull bottom and it worked well.
If my aged memory serves me well I think this was Suzuki's recommended location, or else it was Humber's !!!
Thanks, I think I will give suzuki a call on Monday and get them to confirm what was their guidelines re engine height.

I remember on my last boat I had a Tohatsu 70c and in the manual it said to set the plate level with hull and that worked well for me and now Vincent Vega

Don't have a manual for this engine, thanks again
Old 20 January 2014, 23:13   #8

Town: Enfield, Co Meath
Boat name: no name
Make: Zodiac Pro
Engine: Suzuki 115
Send a message via AIM to lc0021 Send a message via MSN to lc0021 Send a message via Skype™ to lc0021
Please post the reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit3 View Post
Thanks, I think I will give suzuki a call on Monday and get them to confirm what was their guidelines re engine height.

I remember on my last boat I had a Tohatsu 70c and in the manual it said to set the plate level with hull and that worked well for me and now Vincent Vega

Don't have a manual for this engine, thanks again
Please post the reply. I have a Suzuki 110 on my rib, and it sprays some water into the boat when trimmed in fully. I'm wondering if the engine is too low. Too late and cold now to go out and check... yeah and dark too.
Old 21 January 2014, 08:00   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lc0021 View Post
Please post the reply. I have a Suzuki 110 on my rib, and it sprays some water into the boat when trimmed in fully. I'm wondering if the engine is too low. Too late and cold now to go out and check... yeah and dark too.
Good morning folks

Spoke with Suzuki uk technical yesterday, there can be some variation on height based on the hull design, however their rule of thumb is to have the ventilation plate level with the base of the hull when the engine is trimmed in.

Obviously use a straight edge from the base of the hull and span it across to the ventilation plate with the engine trimmed in. When the weather gets better I shall be making some changes.

One word of warning that Suzuki mentioned is to take some caution with the transom, if the engine is right length for the transom it should be mounted pretty much in line, if you move the engine higher there maybe be some overhanging weight on the top of the transom. This can be supported with an additional mounting plate or block under the engine frame to support the extra load.
Old 22 February 2014, 17:51   #10

Some fettling

Have had a good day today, managed a change to the engine height with the help of a mate and a block and tackle.

Engine needed to go up two full holes to enable the anti cavitation plate to be level with the base of the hull.

Quite happy with the result, next project is to remove that horrible anti foul, transom looks a mess now.

Fingers crossed the sprays gone now, will find out at Anglesey in March
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	91386  
Old 22 February 2014, 17:53   #11