Old 19 September 2004, 12:14   #1

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
survival/floatation suits

No doubt discussed before but as winter is on it's way....

What is the best sort of suit to go for - ideally something breathable - cheap - and fully waterproof - ie a drysuit.

Looking at the prices they all seem to work out at over 200!

Today I was flicking through a fishing magazine and noticed loads of floatation suits for sale - they all comply with the latest ISO 15027 hypothermia regs - offer 100N of built in floatation for the larger sizes and best of all cost about 90! Sundridge SAS suit and the Fladen range look quite good.

How suitable are these suits for Ribbing? As they have quite a lot of floatation built in would a lifejacket still be needed?

http://www.btinternet.com/~mrsnellin...ationsuits.htm

http://www.yysinternational.co.uk/pages/page89.html

Old 19 September 2004, 12:23   #2

Town: Port Erin
Length: no boat
Fladen Floatation Suits

I bought a Fladen suit a couple of years ago and found it to be very comftable and warm. I think it depends upon the type of trips you are planning as the Fladen makes you feel like the Mitchelen man !, a blast around the bay and it would probably be too warm and clumberson. As I tend to cross over to Strangford Lough / Portaferry frequently, I always wear it on night crossings. I work on the basis that in the dark you are less likely to anticipate problems whereas in day light you can.

Old 19 September 2004, 12:32   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wriggers
I bought a Fladen suit a couple of years ago and found it to be very comftable and warm. I think it depends upon the type of trips you are planning as the Fladen makes you feel like the Mitchelen man !, a blast around the bay and it would probably be too warm and clumberson. As I tend to cross over to Strangford Lough / Portaferry frequently, I always wear it on night crossings. I work on the basis that in the dark you are less likely to anticipate problems whereas in day light you can.
Is it breathable or do you sweat like a pig>????
Old 19 September 2004, 12:37   #4
RIBnet supporter

Town: Reykjavik
Boat name: Cheesee
Make: Seaquel 600 XS
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 275 Verado
Send a message via Skype™ to bogib
66 North are market leader in the Icelandic market place and they have exported a lot to European countries and US.
Unfortunately they only have their website in Icelandic at the moment but I will call friend of mine at the company tomorrow and see who represent them in the UK.

http://www.66north.is/default.asp?vi...&cat_sub_id=65

Have a look at their website in the meantime

Bogi
Old 19 September 2004, 13:21   #5
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
RIBase
Those fishing type suits are good. I use one branded "Hurricane" on dry winter days and it is brilliant. Breathability is not an issue because it is not enclosed. Too hot? Just pull the chest zip down a little for a few minutes if you need to regulate your body heat. Also quite easy to add / subtract clothing underneath, access you spare packet of fags/mobile/lighter etc.

One BIG drawback however. They tend to absorb water if persistantly splashed. If it is going to rain, or you boat is subject to constant wave splahing, then a drysuit becomes necessary, not just a desirable option.

I wear:
1. T-shirt plus fleece for hot summer cruising
2. Fishing type suit for dry, cold winter cruising
3. Drysuit always when in wet weather.
4. Offshore sailing jacket and salopettes when I cant be fagged to put my drysuit on and am likely to reach my destination real soon. This usually happens when I am single-handed, it suddenly stqarts to rain I and can shrug a sailing suit on whilst continuing to helm.
Old 19 September 2004, 14:53   #6

Brian you say they absorb water - I assume that is only if you have them open etc as they "claim" to be 100% waterproof! I should imagine it is the lining that absorbs the water - is this so?
Old 19 September 2004, 15:26   #7
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
RIBase
Well, they may say they are 100% waterproof, but when did anyone ever believe that!

Think about it. When it rains, and the rib moves, there is a hell of a wet wind blowing at your clothes. Water WILL enter. The neck, the sleeves, through the seams and zips, and if its really blowing, probably up your trouser legs as well.

Additionally, as your suit gets worn in, the outer, "waterproof" layer becomes progressively "weaker". Water then enters the outer layer and it soaks into the lining. Once in, yeah, it becomes waterproof in the sense that it stays in!

Companies like Ravenspring have built their business on boaters REALLY wanting to stay dry. But as I say, fishing suits are great, but they do have their limits.
Dont let me put you off, but equally, dont come snivelling to me if you get soaking wet, freezing cold, and catch something.
Old 19 September 2004, 15:32   #8

Town: Peak District
Boat name: Plastique
Make: PRO Sport
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF115 4st.
MMSI: 235015228
Send a message via Yahoo to ScottyDog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
But as I say, fishing suits are great, but don't come snivelling to me if you catch something.
He He He !
Old 19 September 2004, 16:20   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
Dont let me put you off, but equally, dont come snivelling to me if you get soaking wet, freezing cold, and catch something.
I thought that was what all fishermen wanted!!!!

Looks like it will have to be a pukka drysuit for me then - are there any that are breathable or does that defeat the object?
Old 19 September 2004, 16:29   #10

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Riak
Make: National Squib
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2hp Yamahahahaha
MMSI: Nope
This one was top of the list on a google search 'breathable drysuit uk'

http://www.everythingmarine.co.uk/product.asp?pid=64

Seems reasonable enough for the dosh. There are more expensive ones though!

The drysuit will keep you dry. You need to wear other layers beneath to stay warm. Thermals and fleeces or 'wooly bear' diving undersuits, things of that ilk.

Cheers
Robin

Oh postscript.....get a front zip entry unless you are a contortionist or always have a zip assistant.