Old 02 June 2016, 19:55   #1

Length: 5m +
Sunderland Airshow Launching

Hi Folks

Hopefully looking for some local knowledge here, does anyone know of a good place to launch before the Sunderland Airshow (Seaburn). I'll be travelling from the north (around Edinburgh).

A mate has suggested the slip at the Keelman, Newburn (https://goo.gl/J8UzRj)

Thanks
Chunk
Old 02 June 2016, 22:36   #2

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Newburn is a bit of a hike by water from Sunderland it's probably 12 miles ish at displacement speed to the mouth of the Tyne then 7 or 8 miles to a vantage point off seaburn
I'd be looking to launch at Sunderland marina if possible but you would need to launch early to avoid the crowds

Alternatively there is a slip at the mouth of the Tyne which used to be run by the council
There is also a slip at south hylton on the wear but it's tidal and you'd need a rottweiler on each corner to stand half a chance of your car still being there when you returned
Air show is good from the sea though
Old 03 June 2016, 04:56   #3

Length: 3m +
Newburn: very tidal from what I've seen. May be logic to launching and doing 8mph for 90mins than doing 15mph on A1(M), A19 in show traffic.

Sunderland Marina: on show day... ...doesn't bear thinking about!

South Shields: public slip. Used to pay at library... not exactly handy while towing. Need insurance when pay. Tidal but dive ribs seem to launch with 4x4 in more states than the concrete should allow. Will be +++ busy on show day. So will SS roads.

MustRib might be worth a PM. I think he was boating from Seaham. Nice wee harbour. Never been in show day suspect it's busy but feels more organised than SS. If u were staying over you could probably get a berth overnight etc to avoid hassles.

Never heard of a sea exclusion zone for the show. There will need to be this year... worth checking where you can get to.
Old 03 June 2016, 07:04   #4

thanks for the suggestions, think it will be busy. Will keep looking.
Cheers
Old 03 June 2016, 08:41   #5

It's a bit of a "depends what it's like on the day" situation we attended every year before we moved from Durham 5 years ago if it's rough getting from the Tyne can be interesting to impossible hence my suggestion of Sunderland marina. You'd need to be there before the road closures around 7 or 8 am but it's the shortest route by water
From the south you have easy launch at Hartlepool marina or yacht club. Last time we used Seaham the slip was very steep and suffered from swell at certain times the marina is behind a tidal gate too
The slip at Shields was fine ( used it since the 70's) with various rigs but occasionally it gets a big dump of sand halfway up which needs a long rope or 4x4 to recover but is all tides
Paying was always a bit of a pain & you'd have expected it to be improved by now
If I was coming from Upper Tyne I'd use derwenthaugh which is a good slip but turns to stinking black mud at low tide
I've also had 2 speeding tickets on the Tyne so speed is an issue
Personally I'd enquire at them all and make the decision closer to the day depending on weather forecast
There is an exclusion zone off seaburn so you need to get out early to get a good parking spot and watch out for boats dragging anchors and fouling yours as it gets very busy
Old 03 June 2016, 09:14   #6
RIBnet supporter

Town: Newcastle
Boat name: Merlin
Make: RB4 Gemini 550
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90C
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
I think he was boating from Seaham. Nice wee harbour. Never been in show day suspect it's busy but feels more organised than SS. If u were staying over you could probably get a berth overnight etc to avoid hassles.

Never heard of a sea exclusion zone for the show. There will need to be this year... worth checking where you can get to.
I did the airshow two years ago.
I launch from Seaham. They are really friendly folks there and ShineyShoe's suggestion about a berth the night before is a good one.
The ramp is steep, and always better to launch there two handed, but the marina staff will help you if you ask.
The overnight fee for a berth was cheap - £10 a night if I recall.
They will usually be Ok with your trailer staying close to the ramp and have a few parking spots for them,
but they like you to move your car out to their car park.
Two years ago they local lifeboats plus a couple of support vessels were helping to enforce an exclusion zone close into the shore
and under the main action, but even so the views from the water were amazing.
At times you felt the aircraft were diving straight down at you (they probably were!).
Hope this helps.
Old 03 June 2016, 09:27   #7
RIBnet supporter

Town: Newcastle
Boat name: Merlin
Make: RB4 Gemini 550
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90C
not best pics but you get the idea
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1454.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	113295   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1463.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	113296  
Old 03 June 2016, 15:42   #8

If you do use seaham for an overnight berth remember it's locked so restricted access 2-3 hours either side of low water
Old 22 July 2016, 12:49   #9

Anyone else planning to head along to the airshow tomorrow? We're planning an advanced recce at S Shields with the aim of launching at 0900. If it's too busy we'll look elsewhere.
Cheers