Click Here to Login

Old 15 February 2015, 20:13   #1

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Summer trip up the river Clyde

Ive mentioned this before, but was a bit late with the thought, so this time I'm doing some early planning, as with last time , weather and time conspired against doing it.

The last time we did this trip with some of you guys we had a great day out it was a revelation to see the river from the water, which I had never done in my life despite living here all my days,..and ribbing all over the west coast, and I'd really like to do it again My good lady is not a serious boater and didn't come on the first one .. but has been badgering me to do this trip again ever since so she can do it, so I am keen to help her enjoy this , but I said to her , I'd prefer it if we had a small group, as loose or otherwise... as that may be . Last time we stopped at Braehead for lunch and a pint and we were lucky weatherwise. Ive no set dates .. just want to 'do it' so welcome to suggestions, and what anyone else thinks.. or would like to join
Old 15 February 2015, 21:10   #2

I'm in...usually knocking about anyway.

Where you thinking of launching?

Cheers
Old 15 February 2015, 21:38   #3

Town: livingston
Boat name: the massive
Make: valiant
Length: 6m +
Engine: honda BF115
MMSI: 235092322
RIBase
Would love to join that trip as I have been desperate to go up the water and back doon again..any time except July as I go up the North west then to get my fix of the isles.
Old 15 February 2015, 21:56   #4

Inverkip have a slip you can ask to use(conditions may have changed since I used it), and theres a public & private slip at Largs but there are other slips closer that I havent used such as Port Glasgow.. perhaps we keep a loose weather window available for June/July ? .. Later July puts me out as I go away until early August , but would be fine later in August also
Old 16 February 2015, 06:42   #5

The slip at port glasgow is a no go, they put a height barrier up to stop caravans getting in and staying on the ground for weeks......you know the ones I mean.

I normally launch at kip marina, I would suggest that is the place to start and finish. It is only 10 quid to launch and a pound a night per metre if you have a couple of days of good weather to stay on a berth.

Cheers
Old 16 February 2015, 08:54   #6

Town: glasgow
Boat name: arriba
Make: marlin
Length: 7m +
Engine: suzuki 300
im based at dumbarton will be able to RV with you there Its always a good trip up river
Old 16 February 2015, 09:26   #7

Town: Paisley
Boat name: Don't know yet...
Make: Arctic 22
Engine: 2x 150 etecs
I would be up for that.
Old 16 February 2015, 17:03   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
The slip at port glasgow is a no go, they put a height barrier up to stop caravans getting in and staying on the ground for weeks......you know the ones I mean.
Good to know ...

Quote:
I normally launch at kip marina, I would suggest that is the place to start and finish.
I'd be fine with that. I'm ok as I have a 4WD, but has the slip had any improvements ? its been 3-4 years since I've used it ? and was prohibitive for 2wd especially when the tide was out ! ..
Old 16 February 2015, 17:09   #9

I seem to remember also someone saying there is a preferred tide (and not after prolonged heavy rain) to do it, as there can be a fair bit of flotsam ?
Old 16 February 2015, 17:39   #10

i always launch/recover 2 hours max either side of high tide at kip.

if there has been a storm then yes you will have a lot of seaweed on your trailer when you come back out.

Kip is my usual launch and recover place so i've been in/out there probably 50x and only had a problem once with flotsam, i wouldn't even consider it TBH.

i have never had a 4wd so as long as we aim for 2 hours max either side of HT then it isn't a problem for car owners.

if a few of us are going then KIP usually scrap the entire slipway at lowtide to reveal the nice concrete slip, they are pretty good tbh. once i had trouble they jumped in their big caterpillar and scraped sand away after a storm to get my boat out.

cheers
Old 16 February 2015, 18:47   #11

Quote:
i always launch/recover 2 hours max either side of high tide at kip.

if there has been a storm then yes you will have a lot of seaweed on your trailer when you come back out.

Kip is my usual launch and recover place so i've been in/out there probably 50x and only had a problem once with flotsam, i wouldn't even consider it TBH.

i have never had a 4wd so as long as we aim for 2 hours max either side of HT then it isn't a problem for car owners.

if a few of us are going then KIP usually scrap the entire slipway at lowtide to reveal the nice concrete slip, they are pretty good tbh. once i had trouble they jumped in their big caterpillar and scraped sand away after a storm to get my boat out.

cheers
Ok .. that'll help those decide with 2wd then, but I meant more up river , re the flotsam .. dont fancy hitting any floaters at a few knots. I'm sure me/others would help others to recover if the tide limit were to be missed. I used to use kip all the time (had gate key & berth) but not been in for a while
Old 16 February 2015, 18:50   #12

I doubt that is an issue unless right after gales and high tides.

Cheers
Old 16 February 2015, 21:07   #13

Town: livingston
Boat name: the massive
Make: valiant
Engine: honda BF115
MMSI: 235092322
RIBase
Kip would be good. Launched and recovered at kip loads of times with my 2wd estate. Last time was messy due to the amount of seaweed which was a real PITA picking the stuff off the trailer. Sometimes the slip can have sand or shingle but never had more than a small wheel spin. I've launched into a low tide a few times which is fine but always planned to recover at higher tide. I've seen some absolute shockers some in big 4x4's trying to launch and it was not the slipways fault, I'm a patient guy but last time was 45 mins. I thought my head would explode sitting in the car watching 2 guys fanny about while trying to launch, absolute torture.
Old 16 February 2015, 21:21   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by macattack101 View Post
I've seen some absolute shockers some in big 4x4's trying to launch and it was not the slipways fault, I'm a patient guy but last time was 45 mins. I thought my head would explode sitting in the car watching 2 guys fanny about while trying to launch, absolute torture.
Go to Largs on a bank holiday at the public slip .. take your camera .. talk about fannying about ? .. Its worth a watch .. Even if I'm solo on 'any' slip, which I've scoped out before hand usually .. I'm about 10 minutes from launch, to park, to set off
Old 21 February 2015, 18:37   #15

Town: Paisley
Boat name: Don't know yet...
Make: Arctic 22
Engine: 2x 150 etecs
The slipway at Helensburgh beside the pier is not a bad slipway depending on the tide. Usually very quiet as well. Although you can gain quite a crowd during launching and recovery.