Old 25 November 2018, 19:31   #41

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpertski View Post
Not far off but not directly under the very back of the transom, closest roller starts at 38cm from transomAttachment 127770

It’s 38cm more than I have on my trailers, I have them starting directly underneath as it gives better support to the transom. [emoji848]
Old 25 November 2018, 19:37   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69cmw View Post
It’s 38cm more than I have on my trailers, I have them starting directly underneath as it gives better support to the transom. [emoji848]
This ^^ it should be below the transom with last roller.

Probably hasn't helped the transom problem you face, easy fix though if the trailer is correct size, move boat and axle forward.
Old 25 November 2018, 19:43   #43

Town: Surrey
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140hp suzuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69cmw View Post

Hmm I wonder. Solution for that bar buying a new trailer? Extended roller arms with more rollers to go further towards transom?

As part of the repair works looking at a stainless plate so hopefully won’t have problems with cracking in the gelcoat again
Old 25 November 2018, 20:22   #44

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
That's a very good result.

I'd agree with jwalker on the repair. My only suggestion is you could use epoxy rather than polyester / vinylester resin. If you do, you can't use powder bound CSM - the epoxy doesn't dissolve the powder.

Trailer - it sounds like you need to move the boat forwards on the trailer if possible. Dependent on nose weight, you may also need to move the axle(s) forward as well.
Old 25 November 2018, 20:32   #45

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
This ^^ it should be below the transom with last roller.

Probably hasn't helped the transom problem you face, easy fix though if the trailer is correct size, move boat and axle forward.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2352.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	127771Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2354.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	127772

This is what I set mine like
Old 25 November 2018, 20:35   #46

Thanks, I’ll look at how to move the boat forward to help the cracks not appear again. When I get to it I may start a different thread for advice on that [emoji106]
Old 26 November 2018, 22:34   #47

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
I agree with JW. That is a classic polyester/vinylester resin repair and will allow you to gel coat or topcoat the same colour as transom

I prefer epoxy as it’s a superior bond on old surfaces, but epoxy isn’t UV stable so you would have to coat it with paint or similar. Not many paints take being submersed or sat in water as they pickle. So if this area will not be submerses you could go epoxy, Polyester might still be the easier choice for you here. It’s also a lot cheaper material. Prep has to be good with polyester. Sand 40/80 grit all over, wipe with acetone immediately before starting repair. Keep it all spotless. Polyester doesn’t really stick to wood, so ur mearly encapsulating it, so make sure all csm is compacted. Epoxy does stick to wood FYI.

Epoxy has superior cross linking properties, Polyester resin layup needs the CSM interlinking fibres to cross link. If using epoxy use a lovely 45/45 biaxial fabric for substantially better bond and strength. CSM is wasted on epoxy and just makes a resin rich repair.

The only ways I may deviate from JW repair in polyester or epoxy is, I like to make my own fillers, and I’d fill the grain in on the top of the wood with a mix of resin and cabosil to form a sticky filler like mayonnaise, this would bulk any voids or holes in the wood top. It makes a nice sticky surface to stick your first csm or cloth too, so literally a thin scraping all over, with an old credit card as a spatula. Sounds scary at first, so you could use a marine filler from chandlery, but once you have cabosil in your shed you will feel much more macho

I have had a couple of bad experiences with gel top coat mixes not curing when using wax. So I now prefer pva (blue, not the plasterers type). I put it in a cheap Tesco water spray bottle. Let the gel coat set for half hour then spray a fine mist all over the last coat of gel coat. Wait normal curing time, then scrub off with warm water.
Old 27 November 2018, 15:16   #48

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
You can get 15 MM chopped strands no bonding on them also a wood primer which soaks into the ply. You could also flow coat over the repair or the lot. East coast resin supplies have all the stuff plus videos showing you different projects and if you ring them up they give good advice vaccume bonding might be the way to go too
Old 27 November 2018, 17:51   #49

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Looks like someone's looking after you!....not often the Transom is actually better than it looks when you start digging Rot

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2018, 18:16   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Looks like someone's looking after you!....not often the Transom is actually better than it looks when you start digging Rot

I agree maximus, didn’t know what I would find!
Old 27 November 2018, 21:59   #51

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
Don’t pay for next da6 delivery at ecs.... it arrives a lot later than you would call next day. CFS seem more honest, but ECS better advise.

Tags
repair