Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 14 January 2017, 21:30   #1

Town: Liverpool
Length: no boat
Suggestions for ethanol proof fuel lines?

As above? Ta Nik
Old 15 January 2017, 08:26   #2

Town: Nuremberg
Boat name: November
Make: Avon Searider 4M
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55
MMSI: 211748930
RIBase
All modern fuel lines should be ethanol proof

Searider+Yamaha+Land Rover= :D :D
Mextli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2017, 14:40   #3

Town: Chorley / Holyhead
Boat name: Northwind Challenger
Make: Tornado
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner 115 efi CT
MMSI: 235080598
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Festinghouse
ive found that lots of ethanol proof fuel lines for outboards quickly go hard, dont flex and stop sealing on fittings so leak. after trying different pipe over the years i now only use Gates fuel hose - all the hoses i have are still like new and of course a lot cheaper than the 'special' off the shelf outboard hoses.
Old 15 January 2017, 15:14   #4

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by matata View Post
As above? Ta Nik
Just buy off one of the chandlers you'll be fine never ever had an issue
Old 15 January 2017, 20:43   #5

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
Is ethanol fuel the only option over there? I don't know anyone who uses it their boat here, we just get warned not to Fishing Monthly Magazines : E10. The Facts and More
Old 16 January 2017, 07:11   #6

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
What is your ethanol mix? 10pct or less shouldn't be a problem with any hose newer than about 2000. That may be true up to 20pct as well, but all I've seen here is 10.
Old 17 January 2017, 16:15   #7

Town: Liverpool
Length: no boat
Festinghouse......many many thanks. Just what I was looking for. Gates make top class rubber products(!). They are well known for cam belts and fuel delivery hoses. I was searching the wrong thing. I was looking for fuel injection hose. This needs a higher pressure rating. It was simply for fuel from the tank to the filter so pressure wasn't a problem .A1 rated tubing is very thick and unwieldy. I settled on Gates GFH1031x... £6 a meter ..not cheap but its what I need. Ta to all NIC
Old 17 January 2017, 16:46   #8

Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yamaha
Avoid the silver Mercury Marine stuff. It breaks down internally after 12 months and jams the line solid. I put two brand new reels of it in a skip before xmas.
Old 18 January 2017, 05:09   #9

Town: Cali
Boat name: Thumper
Make: Avon CRRC 4.5
Engine: Merc 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom 19 View Post
Avoid the silver Mercury Marine stuff. It breaks down internally after 12 months and jams the line solid. I put two brand new reels of it in a skip before xmas.
Thank you for that.

Cheers
Old 18 January 2017, 07:54   #10

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>Avoid the silver Mercury Marine stuff. It breaks down internally after 12 months and jams the line solid.

Very sweeping statement eh? If true there wouldn't be a Mercury/Mariner left running over 12mths old??

That silver Mercury hose is my favourite for SIB/outboard use having the perfect blend of strength and flexibility. I've had several Mercury/Mariner outboards with the original silver hoses over 10yrs old... no problems ever.

Do agree about some cheap hoses from motor factors being unsuited to outboards. It can go so inflexible in a couple of years it's useless.

Is that Gates GFH1031x hose nice and flexible... will it "flop" where you put it or try and retain the shape of the coil it came in.
Old 18 January 2017, 20:13   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
>>>Avoid the silver Mercury Marine stuff. It breaks down internally after 12 months and jams the line solid.

Very sweeping statement eh? If true there wouldn't be a Mercury/Mariner left running over 12mths old??

That silver Mercury hose is my favourite for SIB/outboard use having the perfect blend of strength and flexibility. I've had several Mercury/Mariner outboards with the original silver hoses over 10yrs old... no problems ever.

Do agree about some cheap hoses from motor factors being unsuited to outboards. It can go so inflexible in a couple of years it's useless.

Is that Gates GFH1031x hose nice and flexible... will it "flop" where you put it or try and retain the shape of the coil it came in.
I was a Yamaha head engineer for 20 years until last year. In the last year I was in the trade I had numerous breakdowns caused by mercury silver fuel pipe which I myself had fitted to boats 2-3 years previously. The silver pipe has a clear inner lining - the clear lining breaks down, becomes unbonded from the silver outer and clogs the fuel line.

It was so bad any boat that I had fitted it too which hadn't yet broken down, I took it on myself to remove and fit genuine Yamaha black rubber hose. And I dumped coils of brand new merc stuff.

The old stuff is much better, it was the best as would last for years.. The newer stuff may possibly be made for mercury by sierra?

So yes it is a sweeping statement
Old 18 January 2017, 20:20   #12

And a quick search on the internet reveals I'm not the only one to have had this issue:

https://theboatgalley.com/outboard-fuel-line-problems/

And:

Old 18 January 2017, 20:54   #13

Town: Chorley / Holyhead
Boat name: Northwind Challenger
Make: Tornado
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner 115 efi CT
MMSI: 235080598
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Festinghouse
the gates fuel hose will flop and lie wherever you want it, though this doesnt mean that kinks easily. it really is user friendly, and thats why i use it!
Old 19 January 2017, 06:57   #14

Thanks for explaining phantom. I'll make sure I check the Mercury line I have in use at the moment on my 2016 Suzuki DF20. I "upgraded" to a Mercury line as the supplied Suzuki one was far too soft and would kink easily, also the Suzuki bulb failed in the first few hours of use, as did the Suzuki tank end connector!

So having never had an issue with the Mercury lines before it seemed a reasonable choice as replacement.

Thanks for that confirmation Festinghouse, I may get some of that Gates hose.

In any case I always carry a complete unused fuel line with bulb and connectors as one of my emergency spares.
Old 19 January 2017, 11:45   #15

Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
This article also covers it quite well
What Ethanol does to your engine... fuel lines & system!
Mercurys take on Ethanol blended fuel

and for those of us with grey mercury fuel lines - this advice from the USofA (albeit from a Mercury tech)

Replace main fuel line from tank to engine with EPA Approved fuel line and primer bulb. I'd recommend only the OEM Mercury/Quicksilver fuel line & bulb here... and make sure it's the gray line with BLUE PRINT (not red print).

My old ones had orange lettering but the same applies. To be fair, when I removed the old (7 years) lines, there was no visible deterioration of the liner - but we don't yet have an issue here with higher ethanol content.
Old 19 January 2017, 15:32   #16

Town: Oakland CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom 19 View Post
I was a Yamaha head engineer for 20 years until last year. In the last year I was in the trade I had numerous breakdowns caused by mercury silver fuel pipe which I myself had fitted to boats 2-3 years previously. The silver pipe has a clear inner lining - the clear lining breaks down, becomes unbonded from the silver outer and clogs the fuel line.
Is that the plastic-lined rubber hose? My buddy had the same problem; plugged hoses and perforated LP fuel pump from the plastic pieces.

jky
Old 20 January 2017, 21:11   #17

Town: Helsinki
Boat name: SR 5.4
Make: Avon
Engine: Toh1 3,5 Yam 90/2S
These days 5% ethanol is minimum over here, and that is the stuff i use. Haven't so far had issues with carburetors, but fuel lines dies very quickly, especially cheap nylon type for outboards even if they are said to take ethanol. Have tried various brands, cheap and expensive, but so far don't have much thrust they all seam to deteriorate rather quickly. Strange that they lasts in cars but not in marine environment? Or maybe the ones in cars are just better quality.
Old 21 January 2017, 16:09   #18

The only type I have found which is any good is the genuine Yamaha line, black rubber without any lining to delaminate. Dealers can order it on the reel and in two internal diameters, but it is pricey.
Old 21 January 2017, 19:47   #19

If that Yamaha line really is "the" stuff to have only going to cost £20 for a SIB owner to replace keeping existing connectors and primer.

Yamaha 90890-56878 6mm Fuel Hose