Old 27 September 2017, 20:37   #1

Town: Chester
Boat name: Impulse
Make: Honda
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 15hp 2T
Suggestions for a holiday

We are looking into going away to the lakes next year taking our SIB with us.

only 4 of the lakes let you take a powered craft, so that does limit us somewhat.

Can anyone suggest the best way to do this?

thinking about late June. and would also like to take our fishing(spinning) gear with us.
Old 27 September 2017, 21:42   #2

Loch lomond, job done.

Need fishing and boat permit but easy and cheap.
Old 27 September 2017, 21:59   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
Loch lomond, job done.

Need fishing and boat permit but easy and cheap.
266 miles.... thats a long drive!
Old 27 September 2017, 22:25   #4

Are you going to local shops or holiday? 5 hours to loch lomond is worth the journey.
Old 27 September 2017, 22:37   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
Are you going to local shops or holiday? 5 hours to loch lomond is worth the journey.
We are definitely going to do a little research into this idea.

Any particular places to stay you can recommend?
Old 27 September 2017, 22:57   #6

10 hours of travelling total... why? If you'd said go West Coast - I'd agree. 10 hours to get to a a (very) big puddle... in some nice enough scenery ...

Or what is probably <3 hours for a Cheshire person, still nice enough scenery. Choice of 4 smaller but still decent enough sized puddles for a SIB.

You have speed limits bit its a SIB, and if you want scenery you don't need to be a dick to enjoy it!

The lake choices as I remember are:

Windermere - requires registration I think like Loch Lomond. Is nearest to you. I think is most like a summer beach resort.

Ulswater - I like. I think is not that different in feel from Loch Lomond to be honest. Its quiet.

Derwent Water - Not a great fan, although I can't pin point why! Maybe I've only been at the Keswick bit and its a bit like a park rather than rural. You have to go past Ulswater to get to it too...

Coniston - I don't think is as good (nice) as Ulswater, BUT, it does have some bits of history that make it worth a visit but its annoyingly the furthest away.

You could do all 4 in a week if you had the motivation. Or you could do one and probably still find things to do, different places to land and picnic / find pubs etc for lunch.

Camp? Caravan? Motorhome? Rent? Hotel? B&B...

Think you are less likely to find a group of lads camping on the beach drunk with a BBQ in the Lakes than in Lomond (although I gather that may now be banned).

Xk59D... have you been to all 4 lakes in the lake district in a SIB or did you just think you'd hijack the thread because you live nearer Lomond and have been there with a RIB?
Old 27 September 2017, 23:26   #7

hijack a thread? the title asks for holiday suggestions, all i done was suggest one worth considering that may be better and within a reasonable distance. 260 miles is chump change for a boating holiday surely.

I don't see that because I don't have a sib (anymore) and I stay close to loch lomond my suggestion isnt worth considering.

Btw to answer your question, I've been most of the big puddles mentioned yes but not all on sibs, I'm clearly not capable of recommending a holiday spot for a blow up boat then, sorry.

To the OP- If you are coming this far then also worth a look at oban or the clyde as they are all 1 hour from loch lomond as pointed out.

Places to stay there are lots of options in the area and will depend on your budget or where or what you want to stay in. You can get nice lodges on inchmurrin island that are reasonable for the week or there are camp sites dotted around the loch. In a sib it would take a long time to get round the loch and visit all the pubs, hotels etc and plenty of islands to get ashore on that will have very few or no one on them.
Old 28 September 2017, 06:03   #8

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
double post sorry
Old 28 September 2017, 06:15   #9

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
id go Lomond too the lakes were great in the 1970s when you could rock up on your motorbike with half a dozen of yer pals camp anywhere drink go swimming ride relatively empty roads and it didn't cost a fortune .but like anywhere interesting or beautiful it has become a cash cow for the local areas now its jam packed with tourists being de, cashed .the west coast referred to by Xk59D is very nice too infact we have just booked a house at tighnabruaich for a week sure its 5 hours drive but in a modern car that's no big deal but the area looks superb
https://www.bing.com/search?q=kylesb...IESR4S&pc=EUPP_#
www.kylesbank.com
Old 28 September 2017, 07:29   #10
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Dulux, you've said you are looking at the lakes and made clear that the extra 260 miles for Lomond doesn't appeal. Unfortunately for you this is an Internet forum and you will now have much debate about how many hours of driving Loch Lomond is worth etc...

I've boated in both. They have their pros and cons. Speed limits in the lakes are a bit frustrating in a boat designed to plane. Do you keep the sib on a trailer or pack it up each time? If you want to cover all the lakes that might be a pita on a holiday.

However, I think the key thing for selecting any boating holiday destination is about who else you are going with and what else you/they like to do. One aspect of this is how rural/busy you like it. One person's rural idyl is another's boring cottage in the middle of nowhere and one persons bustling little village close to facilities is another's tourist trap heaving with weekenders! So you need to tell us a bit more.
Old 28 September 2017, 07:34   #11

The long drive is of concern.
It will just be the 2 of us. And the boat gets packed up each use.

We would like to be able to go out to a town for sightseeing and restaurants etc.
Old 28 September 2017, 08:07   #12

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Like Beerbelly... if travelling that far... I'd be heading further west than Loch Lomond to get onto the sea. There are plenty of areas on the West coast where you can have a relatively sheltered experience without the hassle of the long beach launches I know you've not enjoyed previously. There is something special and ever changing about the sea.

Are there not some Welsh coastal areas with a sheltered launch, all states of tide slip and/or pontoons etc closer to you than even the lakes?
Old 28 September 2017, 10:59   #13

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Excel Chalanger
Make: Highfield 380 Excel
Length: 4m +
Engine: 25 Yamaha 25Suzuki
MMSI: 235919522
Why don’t you forget the water ponds and go to Largs you could put your sib in the Marine and you have plenty of options to choose from ie arran sound of bute loch fyne???
Old 28 September 2017, 13:59   #14

I assume since you are recommending Largs you have been on every lake/loch/puddle/big bath tub in the UK?

P.S it must have either been with a sib or at the very least a 2 man lilo before being allowed to recommend holiday destinations, picture evidence will be required please. For emergency holiday recommendations swimming with water wings is also acceptable.
Old 28 September 2017, 14:11   #15

I think for now I would prefer to keep it to lakes.

And I think I would prefer to keep it fairly local for the first trip.
Old 28 September 2017, 14:52   #16

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
OK fair enough lakes it is then... so what aspect are you querying when you asked... "Can anyone suggest the best way to do this?"
Old 28 September 2017, 18:01   #17

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Blimey!! This soon got a bit tetchy, calm down girls. DD, if you're set on the lakes, then go for it. You will have sheltered water to build up your confidence & skills + plenty of alternative options if the weather turns. Good eateries, stunning scenery & great pubs. Personally I've only been on Windermere with a boat & this was pre-speed limit days. The Northern boys have a lads weekend on Ullswater each year, a search of the forum might prove fruitful. Be warned, the place (Lake District) will be heaving if the weather forecast is half decent, it can be a nightmare to move around & even worse to park. You do have the option of launching at Barrow in Furness if you get adventurous & want a dip in the sea, you could go across to Piel Island if the weather is playing ball.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2017, 20:55   #18

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluxdoggy View Post
It will just be the 2 of us.

You could always go to Bala just don't get confused with trawsfynydd
Old 28 September 2017, 23:27   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post

You could always go to Bala just don't get confused with trawsfynydd
No motor boats allowed on Bala.
Old 29 September 2017, 07:41   #20
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluxdoggy View Post
ok you want to stay fairly local - that's not a crime and makes sense if it's one of your first trips.

Quote:
It will just be the 2 of us. And the boat gets packed up each use.
ok, the wise advise will be to find things to do that appeal to the other half - unless you have been very lucky few partners are as enthusiastic about the faff that comes with boating or bouncing over waves in horizontal rain. But no kids or dog? to entertain makes options easier.
Quote:

We would like to be able to go out to a town for sightseeing and restaurants etc.

From that the lakes will give more choice that LL , you do have options there and obviously Glasgow is not that far away.

The small towns in the lakes are very touristy so you feel like you are on holiday, and have lots of choice. The only downsides I see are speed limits on the lakes and that if you want to do them all you have to pack the boat each time.