Town: Chertsey
Boat name: Aqua Legends I
Make: Avon Searider 5.4m
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 90
MMSI: 235035787
Stupid Question time is here again!

Hi All

This may be considered a stupid question , so please excuse me, but it's bothering me.

I am about to start positioning items in may new console i.e. starting from scratch with regards to the positions of the surface mounted throttle, teleflex steering assembly, ignition/choke/killcord panel, gauges, etc.

I have a twin jockey seat centred on the new console, and after doing my Level 2 RYA, being taught it is good practise to have one hand on throttle and other on steering wheel, has anyone ever seen the steering wheel off centre from the console/seat centre line, i.e. with left hand throttle control and right hand on wheel, moving the wheel to the right on the console, even if its over 2 to 4 inches only, has anyone seen this done? Has anyone considered doing this? Or am I just getting a bit daft ?

Any views would be appreciated.

Regards
David.
Oxygen Toxicity is for Life

Old 19 April 2006, 19:19   #2

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
I wondered about moving stuff around as well, because it isn't comfortable to have your hand on the throttle on mine as it is too high and too far away and you get a numb arm! But in mine it would leave holes everywhere which would look cr&p...
Old 19 April 2006, 19:25   #3

Town: Chertsey
Boat name: Aqua Legends I
Make: Avon Searider 5.4m
Engine: Yam 90
MMSI: 235035787
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster
I wondered about moving stuff around as well, because it isn't comfortable to have your hand on the throttle on mine as it is too high and too far away and you get a numb arm! But in mine it would leave holes everywhere which would look cr&p...
After using resin, and fibre glass on my console project, I have learnt that you you could cover just about anything with this stuff and then spray paint to coat possibly.

Is your throttle to high due to not enough space given over by the steering wheel?
Oxygen Toxicity is for Life

Old 19 April 2006, 19:34   #4

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
I spent a lot of time considering where everything would go to be in the optimal position, and it has paid off as everything is perfectly placed for me and it is very comfortable. I would suggest practicing where you feel items should be placed and try for comfort and do what feels natural and safe. Taking time to do this will pay dividends as i have observed where some companies fit out and rig and it makes you wonder if they have ever driven a boat at sea etc. I have a pic of my console on my build thread if that helps. Good luck...
Old 19 April 2006, 19:36   #5

Town: Lymington
Boat name: Farfetched
Make: Solent Ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235021048
My experience. Don't put your electronics switches where a knee can knock them. Have nealry had heart attacks in the rough on this one.

Don't put a speaker close to the compass

Offset the wheel to the right, and give yourself loads of space around the throttle. You may need it.

Position GPS where your navigator can see it, and it does not bloick your vision.

Think about night vision damage from bright dials.
Old 19 April 2006, 19:47   #6

Town: Essex/Vendee
Boat name: shockwave,Voluntry 2
Make: Pac 22/ searider5.4
Engine: 180hp turbo,yam 90
I gave a lot of thought to the position of throttle .My strongest arm is right so therefore seemed sensible to steer with ,and throttle with the left it works great even though several instructors felt this was wrong
Old 19 April 2006, 20:06   #7

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
that's a good question and now I remember the Avon Searider 4.7 (Damn I loved that boat) would sometimes catch my fingers between the wheel and the stick.

Also the Seariders console is offset anyway, dunno if yours is so I don't think it matters if the wheel itself is centred on the console
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2006, 20:26   #8

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcosis
After using resin, and fibre glass on my console project, I have learnt that you you could cover just about anything with this stuff and then spray paint to coat possibly.

Is your throttle to high due to not enough space given over by the steering wheel?

It isn't a big deal it just isn't comfortable to keep your hand on all the time.

I think it is probably where it is due to the shape of the console. It might actually be possible to move it, I must admit I am still at the "yeeha" stage of ownership so not really worrying about nit-picking and tweaking yet, I've got all winter to do that
Old 19 April 2006, 20:31   #9

Town: boston
Boat name: Miss bad 61
Make: Crapko, AKA Mako
Engine: OMC Mod50
you can put it ware you want as long as it all works, hears one i did,
Old 19 April 2006, 20:54   #10

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
This is a useful wee fella. He's designed to the 95th percentile which just means he represents the proportions of 95% of the population. I don't think they took tummies into account.....

I know he looks like a silly toy but he's a genuine design tool. Cut him out and give him a chance. He's about the size of an A4 sheet top to bottom when assembled, which makes him about 1/6th scale.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ergonome parts x 640 tall.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	18575   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ergonome x 640 tall.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	18576  
Old 19 April 2006, 21:17   #11

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
i love it, i just wonder where you get this stuff from sometimes

haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker
This is a useful wee fella. He's designed to the 95th percentile which just means he represents the proportions of 95% of the population. I don't think they took tummies into account.....

I know he looks like a silly toy but he's a genuine design tool. Cut him out and give him a chance. He's about the size of an A4 sheet top to bottom when assembled, which makes him about 1/6th scale.
Old 19 April 2006, 21:32   #12
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
He's designed to the 95th percentile which just means he represents the proportions of 95% of the population. I don't think they took tummies into account......
I'm confused - how can one fixed set of dimensions represent a 95th percentile. Surely there needs to be a whole range of paper men - presumably represented by an upper 95% percentile person and a lower 95% percentile person (e.g. a tall skinny guy and a short dumpy guy). Also I would guess the proportions of men and women may differ somewhat, so perhaps we need female versions too?
Old 19 April 2006, 22:29   #13

I called him a wee fella... could be a wee lassie as far as I know. Anyway, he/she/it works very well. Ergonome is its name.
Old 19 April 2006, 22:33   #14

Town: Newquay, Cornwall.
Boat name: None :(
Make: None :(
Engine: None :(
MMSI: None :(
95th percentile actually means that 95% of the population are this size or smaller.
roycruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2006, 22:42   #15

I don't normally do Google searches but....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dryfuss Ergonome.jpg
Views:	737
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	18580   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dryfuss Ergonome make.jpg
Views:	841
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	18581  
Old 19 April 2006, 22:56   #16
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Anyway, he/she/it works very well. Ergonome is its name.
I wasn't doubting that it does. We have used similar hand models / concepts in my dayjob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roycruise
95th percentile actually means that 95% of the population are this size or smaller.
Yes which means it needs to be printed out to the correct scale. Either perfectly to scale for your own height or if you want to fit the majority of people you need to print him so that his full height is scaled to 1862 mm. But you also need to cover the shorter people too (what I call the lower 95th percentile - but it appears in this area people call the 5th percentile) - and since women are generally smaller you need to cover this with a version scaled to 1519 mm. These numbers are for adult americans and from:
http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/pot_anth.html (googled!).

Obviously if you want a 12 year old to be able to sit comfortably at the console you may need to take their size into account too!
Old 19 April 2006, 23:11   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart
Yes which means it needs to be printed out to the correct scale. ..
Or you can do your drawings using ergonome as the base to work from so that the scale is correctly represented.

Somewhere, I've got a set of drawings using ergonome to design a rib consol but I'm bu**ered if I can find them just now.
Old 20 April 2006, 12:35   #18

Town: London
Boat name: varies
Make: n/a
Length: n/a
Engine: varies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave
that's a good question and now I remember the Avon Searider 4.7 (Damn I loved that boat) would sometimes catch my fingers between the wheel and the stick.

Also the Seariders console is offset anyway, dunno if yours is so I don't think it matters if the wheel itself is centred on the console

This is a good point, I have driven a couple of RIBs where the wheel was far too close to the throttle levers and could stop you using the wheel properly in certain positions. When you are spacing things, looking at the ergonomics etc... don't forget to measure things out, using you in your biggest thickest neoprene gloves, foulies, drysuit/polar bear etc. That means come winter what worked in the garage will work for you on the water!

t
Old 20 April 2006, 13:00   #19

Town: Nutbourne
Boat name: Renegade
Make: Porter
Engine: 140 Tohatsu
MMSI: 235022904
Quote:
Or you can do your drawings using ergonome as the base to work from so that the scale is correctly represented.

Somewhere, I've got a set of drawings using ergonome to design a rib consol but I'm bu**ered if I can find them just now.
I drew up an ergowotsit for AutoCAD. I produced him/her/it at 1m high so it can easily be scaled to any height. If anyone wants a copy let me know.
They were used to help set up Merlin for The Jackeens, and Slim Tim has/is using them too.