Old 09 December 2017, 20:43   #1

Storage near largs

Anyone know of storage around the gourock- largs ish area?

My marina have been at the brandy and trebled the price so looking at options, kip and largs are calling back Monday with prices but open to suggestions if anyone has any.

Failing that if someone wants a ribcraft 6.8 speak up!
Old 09 December 2017, 20:55   #2
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
My marina have been at the brandy and trebled the price so...
Lucky yer not berthing that Scorpion you were hankerin' after...
Old 09 December 2017, 22:52   #3

If could afford a 250k boat the marina fees would proportionally be worth it. Be about another 500 quid to berth the scorpion....madness
Old 09 December 2017, 23:08   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Are you at JWD? They have fairly big expansion plans and I did wonder if that would mean getting rid of some of the low revenue storage...

Are you looking for indoors? I can’t think of anywhere on the south side of the Clyde, you’ll be aware of both Silvers and the guys at Rosneath? How do their prices compare?
Old 09 December 2017, 23:23   #5

I am at JWD yes and have been since it opened. Prices have gradually gone up but with the new owners they now want circa 2.2k to store it, whilst I love the boat the juice ain't worth that squeeze to my back and back pocket. I can't even launch at JWD which for the money isn't great.

going to see place tomorrow so I'll see how that goes. Also kip and largs are going to quote, good thing about clyde is usually deals to be had due to number of marinas.
Old 10 December 2017, 00:45   #6

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Storage near largs

Hi Paul what's the scoop. I've not had my invoice for this year. Are the prices going up next year? I'm thinking of doing yearly dry berthing at Largs good price and they launch recover and hose down after every trip.
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2017, 07:54   #7

Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: northcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: honda 150
RIBase
Quote:
Anyone know of storage around the gourock- largs ish area?

My marina have been at the brandy and trebled the price so looking at options, kip and largs are calling back Monday with prices but open to suggestions if anyone has any.

Failing that if someone wants a ribcraft 6.8 speak up!
do you want to take a humber as a trade in
Old 10 December 2017, 08:11   #8

Quote:
now want circa 2.2k to store it, whilst I love the boat the juice ain't worth that squeeze to my back and back pocket. I can't even launch at JWD which for the money isn't great.
Wow that seems pricey especially not to actually be able to launch. Do you actually need it on the coast if you aren't launching there?

Indoor Caravan Storage Options?

Or will it fit in a shipping container? I'm pretty sure I was quoted about £1500 for a 40ft container down here with 24/7 access a year or so ago. Containers are only about 2.4m wide (check the door width!) so may not fit a big Rib.
Old 10 December 2017, 08:29   #9

Town: Norfolk/Suffolk Borders
Make: no boat
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post

Or will it fit in a shipping container? I'm pretty sure I was quoted about £1500 for a 40ft container down here with 24/7 access a year or so ago. Containers are only about 2.4m wide (check the door width!) so may not fit a big Rib.
I believe it has been said that the damp/condensation problem in containers may make them a worse option than open storage ?
Old 10 December 2017, 10:06   #10
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern Hanreck View Post
I believe it has been said that the damp/condensation problem in containers may make them a worse option than open storage ?

I’ve stored quite a variety of stuff in containers over the years. Condensation is definitely an issue, although some containers are better than others.* With boating stuff it is almost certainly being put away damp at some point, so it is a reasonable thing to highlight. I doubt it’s any worse than storing outside with a cover over it though?

* Proper shipping containers are pretty water tight so you only have deal with the moisture you have put inside it and some of those desiccant boxes changed regularly helps a lot if you aren’t in and out all the time. If it’s a retired shipping container it may well be less water tight. In my experience some storage places use something that looks a bit like a container but is just a cheap box - and they don’t even keep the rain out very well!
Old 10 December 2017, 14:27   #11

I think with tubes flat it might go in a 30ft container (some places weld 2 together to get whatever size) depending on the door height and width. The boat is 2.7m wide with tubes up. I have never deflated it but looking at it with a wet finger I think I would get it down to about 2.2m wide deflated.
Old 10 December 2017, 16:58   #12

Quote:
I think with tubes flat it might go in a 30ft container (some places weld 2 together to get whatever size) depending on the door height and width. The boat is 2.7m wide with tubes up. I have never deflated it but looking at it with a wet finger I think I would get it down to about 2.2m wide deflated.
That's gonna be a PITA if you have to deflate and inflate every time. Fine for an over winter storage

Are you indoors at the minute?
Old 10 December 2017, 17:11   #13

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
Up for let? This might explain it.

https://propertylink.estatesgazette....ide-inverclyde
Old 10 December 2017, 19:03   #14

the marina buildings were always moving across to the other side with a big boat shed for dry stacking and a portavadie style building so they need to pay for it somehow.....I'm guessing at these prices space in the marina will be READILY available. That has always been the plan to turn the current sheds into flats or shops.....funnily enough it went up on fire last time they mooted this.