Old 10 May 2017, 18:55   #1

Town: Dereham
Boat name: Alexandro
Make: I'd love to know
Length: 7m +
Engine: optimax 225hp
Steering... Port or Starboard

In the middle of a refurb and I am currently making the mould for the new console its quite large with a front lift up door to access a cuddy cabin with sea toilet.

Boat usage is going to be leisure and im going with leaning posts rather than full seats for the helm.
My original console had the steering on the port side, with the controls on the left of the steering.

rib is 6.6m and the refurb has added 1m transom extension which lifts the engine higher and adds a bathing platform. The platform does restrict the possibility for an offset for the 225hp optimax.

I am leaning towards a right hand setup on the new console because ...

1. The rib will always have at least 1 person(me) on board so the weight(16.5st ish LOL) will help to offset any prop torque.

2. I think the right will feel more natural.

3. Historic tradition (only because it sounds good)

as far as the controls go I cant decided.

I was wondering if any one else had an opinion and why.

Cheers
Old 10 May 2017, 19:17   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
I have wheel on stbd side with throttle in the centre, works for me[emoji106]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2017, 19:48   #3

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
I have wheel on stbd side with throttle in the centre, works for me[emoji106]

Me too [emoji106]
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2017, 20:32   #4
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
It doesn't matter a rat's @ss where you site the aforementioned - you'll get used to it in a day afloat.
Old 10 May 2017, 20:59   #5

Town: Dereham
Boat name: Alexandro
Make: I'd love to know
Engine: optimax 225hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
It doesn't matter a rat's @ss where you site the aforementioned - you'll get used to it in a day afloat.
I'm sure you're right. same as hiring a car on the continent. but I still have a favoured side to steer from.

But if there is a choice???? I may as well explore options it would be silly not to when there is this wealth of knowledge here.

I'm probably going stbd with steering.

Just wanted to here from people that have used different set-ups and there preferences to ensure I make a choice that would be more favoured by me.
Old 10 May 2017, 21:17   #6

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:

It does as you have individual biases. Some feel at ease and comfortable on the left others prefer the right. If you have the chance to set it up so you feel good then you take it.
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2017, 21:35   #7
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
It does as you have individual biases. Some feel at ease and comfortable on the left others prefer the right. If you have the chance to set it up so you feel good then you take it.
IMO, you only think you have biases. It's remarkable how many UK/IRL car drivers have a "natural bias" to RHD cars and US/EURO drivers have a bias to the other hand/side. Curious how we seem to have similar boat biases.
Old 11 May 2017, 07:07   #8

RIBase
Quote:
IMO, you only think you have biases. It's remarkable how many UK/IRL car drivers have a "natural bias" to RHD cars and US/EURO drivers have a bias to the other hand/side. Curious how we seem to have similar boat biases.

It's strange that, put me in a RHD car in Europe on the RHS of the road & I'm fine. However, put me in a LHD car in Europe on the RHS & I'm all over the place. Being right handed it just feels natural (to me) to steer with my right hand & throttle with my left.

To the OP, when rigging your console, it makes for a more ergonomic set up to offset the wheel to the left or right of the centre line of the seat, depending on whether you eventually go for a port or Stbd helm position. I.e the helm centre line should not be on the centreline of the seat, but to one side or the other so that the wheel & throttle are more central to the seat centre line by about half the wheel diameter. Sounds complicated but it's dead simple. The aim is to avoid having "short arm" to the wheel, & "long arm" to the throttle. It makes for a more comfortable body position & can reduce stress & strain when it gets gnarly.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 11 May 2017, 07:22   #9
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
It's strange that, put me in a RHD car in Europe on the RHS of the road & I'm fine. However, put me in a LHD car in Europe on the RHS & I'm all over the place. Being right handed it just feels natural (to me) to steer with my right hand & throttle with my left.
Same here with the cars. Happy to drive RHD on the wrong side of the road, but find it much harder in a LHD car.

However on a boat, being right handed it just feels natural (to me) to steer with my left hand & throttle with my right. I still maintain that on any fastish boat the throttle is the primary control.

Like willk says though, don't sweat it too much as whatever the setup you'll quickly come to think it's normal.
Old 11 May 2017, 07:38   #10

RIBase
Steering... Port or Starboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
.... I still maintain that on any fastish boat the throttle is the primary control.

Agreed, I also prefer to have the throttle binnacle mounted in the centre (ish) of the console, if it goes horribly wrong the co-pilot/passenger/navigator/wife can always get to the throttle & kill the revs. Also it puts the throttle out of the way of people squeezing past the console, reducing the risk of it been inadvertently operated.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0969.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	119459
Old 11 May 2017, 07:55   #11

Boat name: ...
For what it's worth , I drive a mixture of right / left hand drive boat's and yes you get used to it very quickly whatever works best for you. Centre throttles are more fashionable firstly they and your hands are protected from the wind and spray. If you plan to sell your boat in the future that may help. I believe the RYA want that on school ribs so student and instructor can reach it.
One advantage on the throttle not being in the centre is that , pretty much , you are the only one who can get to it ...that can of course be a disadvantage in a few rare circumstances.
Ultimately, whatever is easiest / cheaper for you. Switching from throttle left to right will take a couple of hours to get used to like everyone else has said.
Old 13 May 2017, 06:10   #12

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
There is another thread on this somewhere.

I've decided to go for steering on the left, throttle in the middle.

On the assumption you are right handed, your right hand tends to be more dexterous and this may make fine throttle fiddling easier.

Throttle in the middle because it gets in the way a bit if it is side mounted and I don't have the space outboard of the wheel to fit a top mounted throttle.

Finally, the RNLI seem to position their throttles on the right.

Against this set up on a twin console - the rules of the road require you to give way to the right so having the helm on the starboard side allows an uninterrupted view of what you may need to give way to.

As everyone else says - you'll get used to whatever you do.

I need to stop overthinking and start overbuilding otherwise the 2017 season isn't going to be all that waterborne.