Old 12 August 2012, 23:05   #1

Length: no boat
Engine: 135Hp 2stroke
MMSI: 3596
Steering Failed

Boat, 90's Osprey Eagle

Hi guys any advice welcome, Ive noticed my steering has been very stiff for the last 6 months but Ive just put up with it as i kind of like it that way when hitting waves at speed etc, anyway the steering wheel went pop this weekend probably due the the stress, i need to remove the motor and free up the pivot point once steering is fixed i think so it don't do this again, as for the wheel end i think its at the lower end of the wheel house, as the wheel has no friction when spinning left or right but the centre nut/shaft on the wheel will spin with the wheel..

The wheel hydraulics are very hard to locate and work on as they are sealed in the unit, I'm trying to remove the wheel but its been on for 17+ yrs, Ive just left the shaft to soak in WD40.

Below are some pics Ive managed to take by putting a camera under the seating unit, i just cant tell what model the unit is or a photo of the same setup to find what maybe the problem.

Thanks

http://s712.photobucket.com/albums/ww122/crezzlin/?action=view&current=DSC_0171-1.jpg

http://s712.photobucket.com/albums/ww122/crezzlin/?action=view&current=IMG_20120811_125159.jpg

http://s712.photobucket.com/albums/ww122/crezzlin/?action=view&current=IMG_20120811_125218_1.jpg

http://s712.photobucket.com/albums/ww122/crezzlin/?action=view&current=IMG_20120811_125226.jpg
Old 13 August 2012, 00:19   #2

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Looks like a Teleflex cable steering system to me. The bracket inside the console might well be home made to mount the steering body to a convenient position. I expect the drive in the helm is kaput.

If that is the case then it might make the steering wheel removal a little easier as if it's really been on the for 17 years then I think a hacksaw or cutting disc is going to be your best friend

Can I see the word Morse on the bezel?

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2012, 01:25   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
Looks like a Teleflex cable steering system to me. The bracket inside the console might well be home made to mount the steering body to a convenient position. I expect the drive in the helm is kaput.

If that is the case then it might make the steering wheel removal a little easier as if it's really been on the for 17 years then I think a hacksaw or cutting disc is going to be your best friend

Can I see the word Morse on the bezel?

Hi thanks, yeah its Morse on the bezel cover, the system is Defo hydraulic, i just couldn't find a image on Internet.

Looks like a hacksaw to me as well, will try tomo and see what I'm able to reach etc once wheel is removed. Thanks again
Old 13 August 2012, 04:40   #4

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
If it's Morse, it may be pre-Teleflex. I don't recall any Teleflex unit that looked like that.

My wheel got stuck when I used anti-sieze instead of grease (and likely overtightened as well.) jury-rigged up a bearing puller, left it on overnight, then beat what I could with a hammer. It eventually let go.

jky
Old 13 August 2012, 05:34   #5

Town: wormit
Boat name: lots of them
Make: various
Engine: all types
command 200
Old 13 August 2012, 09:43   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
If it's Morse, it may be pre-Teleflex. I don't recall any Teleflex unit that looked like that.

My wheel got stuck when I used anti-sieze instead of grease (and likely overtightened as well.) jury-rigged up a bearing puller, left it on overnight, then beat what I could with a hammer. It eventually let go.

jky
Cheers I'm just getting some pullers now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davie View Post
command 200
That looks like the one, but they all say Cable steering on Internet, now I need to find the lower part and how the hydroluics work, I can't see the shaft been at fault as it looks solid, must be what it drive with the teeth on the lower part of shaft I think.. Thanks for that its. Start.
Old 13 August 2012, 10:59   #7

Ok I'm starting to see what it should look like, and your right It's a cable step thanks again lol
Old 13 August 2012, 14:16   #8

Town: Fareham
Angle grind if off. I expect you'll need a new helm anyway and it's an excuse to get a new wheel at the same time

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2012, 15:26   #9

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
I had my cable snap last week wile I was out playing in the swell off Bolt Head!
Managed to get back in by attaching a rope to the engine with two ends coming around the Aframe & steered by pulling on them, beets calling the lifeboat out!
Anyway I had the same problem & soaking in DW40 & pulling like mad & hitting with a hammer at the same time no go. Tried J Walkers tip of drilling 2 holes in the wheels boss tapping them & then with 2 bolts & a bar across the centre tightened them up. Even with hitting it to no go, sheered off one of the bolts trying!
After this a couple of good tapes & more pulling & it came off, just remember to put a bolt on it before you start hitting it ore it will be good for nothing!

Just have to wait for my new Hydraulic steering to arrive so I can put it back togther.
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2012, 17:02   #10

Hightowe: Yeah i did want a new wheel, but i was sure the GF would notice haha

Nick: What hydraulic setup you getting, also your motor sizw/ thanks
Old 13 August 2012, 17:27   #11

Town: Cambs
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Opti
I had similar trouble and the only way I could get it off was with a grinder. I managed to get nearly all the way through, so the shaft wasn't damaged and then drive a drift in to open it up. I didn't budge so I did the opposite side too. With two deep cuts and a drift it finally came off except it didn't, one side came off and the other needed heating and a gentle whack.
Old 13 August 2012, 20:57   #12

Last questions thanks

1 what point do you measure the cable from, is it tip to tip of fittings and cable, from the fitting at the motor to the very end of the Command 200 unit is 13.5 feet.

2 do I really need to remove the steering wheel to replace the cable part.

Thanks
Old 13 August 2012, 21:37   #13

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
This is the one I bought
http://www.marinescene.co.uk/product...c-steering-kit
I would say if you have good acsses then you do not have to remove the wheel but it will make it much easier, for me I wanted hydronic anyway so it was the odviose way to go + to get the old cable out of the outboard end ment cutting it ot as there is not ength room to get it out in one & would have ment taking the engine off to fit a new one as far as I can see. Where as with the hydronic I should not have a problem!

As to cable length you measure the back plastic part of the cable not the mettle fittings have a look Teleflex Boat Steering Cable <150 HP - 11 Feet - Scroll Down For Measuring Info | eBay

Nick
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote