Old 18 April 2007, 10:06   #1

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Steep slips

Just wondering about recovery on steep slipways. Launching is easy enough of course...

I assisted a bloke the other day trying to recover a large boat - they made the classic mistake of putting the roller trailer in too deep and floating the boat on. Of couse with a slight crosswind it just meant the boat was drifiting sideways all the time. I politely advised them that if they didn't want the boat to fall off the side of the trailer they should pull forward a few feet and drive the boat on - it worked a treat.

What about on a very steep slip though? The problem then is that the bow of the boat is going into the trailer rather than onto it and the stern is still swinging around no matter what. What is the normal procedure for this???

Old 18 April 2007, 11:30   #2

Town: Dorset
Make: ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: suzuki 250
maybe start with the rig in a little deeper that ideal, then move the car & trailer forward as the boat drives on to it...?

or,

get a mate with big 'guns' to winch it the whole way on!

Old 18 April 2007, 11:36   #3

Town: darlington
Boat name: GlennVinny
Make: Leeway 6.3
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner135v6/4hp aux
MMSI: 235038455
Upright guide posts on the back of the trailer, put the rig in a little deeper, motor up to the snub post, attach winch hook and take up the slack, then pull out with the car. Uprights also good if the slip is prone to crosswinds.
Old 18 April 2007, 12:09   #4
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
RIBase
If you've got a rollercoaster it's easy.

Very slightly deeper than normal so bouyancy takes some but not all of the weight.Get the bow on and a mate upwind holding a stern line to keep the boat straight while you winch.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2007, 16:00   #5

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Once the hull's between the forward rollers and the bow is winched up to the snubber, it will be lined up straight - no problem.
If the stern is afloat and above the trailer rollers, when she's winched all the way forward, it will drop down nicely into place when the trailer is pulled slowly up the slipway.
Old 19 April 2007, 07:38   #6

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Depending on the state of the tide I sometimes have to recover near the top of the beach where it is very steep and it does make it more difficult but I tend to leave the (bunk) trailer a bit further out of the water than usual so the bunks hold the boat better, and drive it up. Don't always get it right but it feels good when you do and don't have to winch at all just clip the hook on and drive away

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2007, 07:53   #7

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Once the hull's between the forward rollers and the bow is winched up to the snubber, it will be lined up straight - no problem.
If the stern is afloat and above the trailer rollers, when she's winched all the way forward, it will drop down nicely into place when the trailer is pulled slowly up the slipway.
I suppose it depends on just how steep the slip is but I would have thought if it was too steep only a small part at the bow will be in place leaving the stern to swing all over the place in a cross wind. Obviously side bars are the answer!!!
Old 19 April 2007, 08:00   #8

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
...Obviously side bars are the answer!!!
Side bars are for fishermen with dories who don't want to get their jeans wet, but they always end up doing so.
You must have seen them all on the outer slip at B. Port on a nice summer's day?
Old 19 April 2007, 10:54   #9
DGR

Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
I tried to get some sidebars for my trailer when I was having recovery problems - and struggled to find any. In the end, I pretty much do as downhilldai suggests. I drive the boat slowly onto the trailer until it is resting/leaning on the front rollers - leave it in gear to hold it against the rollers - hook up the winch and take in the slack - neutral and switch off - and then winch it up the last 3 or 4 feet. The engine idling in forward holds the boat nicely in position against the front rollers -

D...
Old 19 April 2007, 11:01   #10

Town: Haverfordwest
Boat name: Nenya
Make: Tornado 5.1
Engine: Mercury 60hp
MMSI: 235051491
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGR View Post
I tried to get some sidebars for my trailer when I was having recovery problems - and struggled to find any. In the end, I pretty much do as downhilldai suggests. I drive the boat slowly onto the trailer until it is resting/leaning on the front rollers - leave it in gear to hold it against the rollers - hook up the winch and take in the slack - neutral and switch off - and then winch it up the last 3 or 4 feet. The engine idling in forward holds the boat nicely in position against the front rollers -

D...

Are you doing this on your own or with assistance. If you're on your own do you actually get off the boat with the engine running and in gear, or do you lean right off the front to hook the winch on?