prairie tuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 April 2011, 02:00   #12
Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Ocean & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzi DT200EFI, DT9.9
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
It would possibly be good to take some of the shocks and bumps from a short interval low wave height choppy sea, where you are just skipping along on the top, but I think would be worse than a fixed jockey in anything remotely rough. I reckon you'd be constantly pushing yourself backwards along the seat.

When you hit a wave the boat slows down slightly, and your un-tethered weight carries you forward and down.
With this design the front of the seat drops and tips you forward at exactly the same time as the momentum acting on your weight, so you’ll slide forwards.
As bog Monster says, there’s a serious risk of a teeth meeting steering wheel scenario, and your legs will be supporting your weight in an unnatural direction/position causng more fatigue than standing over a normal Jockey.

RIBBED For extra pleasure.
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Member of the Bombard 380 Aerotec club
Nasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 April 2011, 04:50   #13
Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
Yeh, but that said, we all know that reviews in mags can be biased and not completely independent. If it was that good there would be loads in the market place as this option is quite cheap to make.

I reckon that the only way this type of seat might work is to have it high so that you're almost standing and riding it jockey style with a low slung kidney back support.
I agree looking at it on a "common sense" basis the direction of movement looks uncomfortable ... was just saying what I had seen in the mag.

Particularly when stuffing into a wave and suddenly decelerating / being thrown forwards, the last thing you need would seem to be the seat tipping forwards and a big shove in the middle of your back to push you forwards but I suppose it depends how much movement there is in the seat - if the deceleration means you naturally move forwards anyway (so you are not touching the backrest) maybe it works even though it seems like it shouldn't? I have no idea how much range of movement there is in the seat?

However my main concern is being a fat ^%&()d the seat would probably come out of the deck if I landed on it with a few G behind me

A Boat is a hole in the water, surrounded by fibreglass, into which you throw money...

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote