Old 31 May 2007, 13:23   #63
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Riva,

I would agree you have met your obligations to someone who is not actually your customer.

IF you are right that the problem arises when an innapropriate cleaner is used then clearly Balistic are NOT in any way at fault (even for boats still in warranty) provided you had provided reasonable "care instructions" which were not followed.

Neil bought a used boat without warranty and presumably without survey therefore its caveat emptor I am afraid. If he does have a complaint - it should be to the seller - but he presumably made no promises that this was just surface colour.

I am somewhat confused by the report you posted from SATRA. Was 3 weeks of direct contact supposed to be representative of the product usage? In real life the seats are getting wet with both rain and sea water, they are being sat on and off, squashed, wriggled about on etc, they will also be sitting in the sun...

You said that "it showed that when a cleaning agent was put on the foam it fucked it up..." - but that report doesn't say that... ...it says "which may, or may not have been facilitated by an extrernal agent".

ZDEC is normally colourless - so I assume the zinc in being replaced with another ion if that is responsible for the pink colour? (The extrapolation that the colour is reduced by adding dilute sodium hydroxide and therefore might be ZDEC is a little extreme!) But perhaps this might help Neil with his problem? If he carfully washes the material with a sodium hydroxide solution can he expect to remove the pink colouration?
Old 31 May 2007, 13:58   #64

Town: Southampton
Boat name: The Office
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude 250 etec
Polwart

I agree that this report does not prove anything and comes to no conclusion except that the seat was wet. This is expected in a Rib.

I will try to obtain some Potassium Hydroxide which the report states reduces the pink stain. Any chemists out there know of the best way to obtain Potassium Hydroxide.

Thanks

Neil
Old 31 May 2007, 14:06   #65

I may not have purchased this rib from JBT but my last rib a Zodiac Yachtline I did buy from them so I am an ex customer. They have received commission from me in the past and they could have received some more in the future.

If only.

Thanks

Neil
Old 31 May 2007, 14:30   #66
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilb View Post
Polwart

I agree that this report does not prove anything and comes to no conclusion except that the seat was wet. This is expected in a Rib.

I will try to obtain some Potassium Hydroxide which the report states reduces the pink stain. Any chemists out there know of the best way to obtain Potassium Hydroxide.

Thanks

Neil
It just so happens...

I would expect sodium hydroxide to react exactly the same way - as in almost all situations it does. Sodium hydroxide is fairly readily available as a houshold cleaning material called "caustic" or "caustic soda". If you would prefer to use Potassium hydroxide then PM me.

You should be aware that both potassium and sodium hydroxide are fairly nasty and you should wear gloves, glasses/goggles, and an apron when using it - and keep it well away from any aluminium. Make sure you thoroughly rinse it all away...

If there is a possibility the the material and foam underneath have TFR or some other solvent in there you probably want to thoroughly rinse it all before you start or it will be two steps forward one step backwards.
Old 31 May 2007, 14:53   #67

Town: emsworth
Boat name: the black stuff
Make: BALLISTIC
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 x 200hp etec's
no thanks Neil keep the possible commission , id rather not deal with you .
thanks

still cant say you were wrong !! for the way you've gone about it or be gracious enough to say thanks for a fantastic offer ,but i cant afford your offer at the moment can you help me on terms .

but please keep it up our search positions fantastic today !!
Old 31 May 2007, 15:52   #68
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
I'm getting bored of this.

NeilB, RIVA is right. You bought a used ex commercial boat without warranty from a 3rd party. If he's offering a full new set of seats at cost it's not his problem if you can't afford it. It'll be costing him time-and time is money. A bit of pink staining is not the end of the world and quite frankly is probably the lesser of a lot of evils you could have encountered buying an ex commercial boat.

RIVA, maybe you could learn to be a little more gentle in your phrasing? I'm sure you realise it's potentially bad press to swear in public discussion-no matter how much you're being wound up.

Can we have an end to the slanging match now please?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2007, 16:05   #69

i apologise if my swearing has offended any one

sorry
Old 31 May 2007, 21:38   #70

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIVA View Post
, nice analysis dirk , lol

Hardly, just happened to have seen loads of this in the past, not only on ribs, but on sportsboats, cruisers and all! Seen quite a bit of brown staining as well, caused by the use of wbp ply instead of marine!

As for the stitching, picture say's it all!

Don't understand why you use the old "out of warranty" as an excuse not to replace, if it's wrong from day one, then it's wrong till the end of time!
Old 31 May 2007, 23:48   #71

Town: Galway
Boat name: rockhopper
Make: ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: petrol
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Aidan

Congratulations on you new Ballistic. I am sure you will have a great time with it. They do handle very well.

I agree totally with you analogy to buying a car. The price of the Ballistic ribs does put them into the Lexus bracket so I would expect Lexus service. This is definitetly a manufacturing fault and Lexus would have recalled all cars and fixed the problem as soon as they knew about it. This pink foam must exist in all Ballistics, it is just that mine is one of the first.

So we can live in hope that JBT have a change of heart and my rib will act as a good form of advertising for them when potencial customers see it tied up around the solent. As it is it will surely put customers off as they would like their investment to hold its value

Neil
Hi Neil, thanks for comments on boat. Sarah G, your heart and head looks like they are in the right place and I applaud you for your bravery as in sticking your head in a vice. Riva takes a pasting here every so often, I think he enjoys the attention, after all its worse to be forgot. Anyway I am sure he means well, dont know the guy but he has balls for sticking his head up in a Turkey Shoot (though I am sure he is no Turkey). How come we do not hear from Jason or John or Louise???? Anyway I am sure it will all sort itself out.
My Ballistic looks awesome, super A Frame and Chunky everything, nice boat JBT. Neil, I sugest that you check our a few Upholstery (hope spelt ok) places and get prices for redoing it. Obviously JBT cannot or Will not do it for less and until you get a few quotes for a few hundred which is all I am sure it costs. In any event I have to tell you that the Ballistic looks awesome a serious effin boat.

I will post some pics as soon as I know how.....
Old 01 June 2007, 08:31   #72

RIVA

How long is this generous offer to supply me a new set of seats open till. I may have to spend the summer saving up so may be able to do a deal at the end of the season.

Let me know.

Thanks

Neil
Old 01 June 2007, 13:53   #73

paid for by 1 st September 2007
deposit next week
e mail a confirmation today if you want them

Jason
Old 05 June 2007, 15:10   #74

so no email or deposit then !!
Old 05 June 2007, 16:05   #75

Sorry mate, I have been away to Ireland for the weekend and only got back this morning.

I would like to try and get the stain removed first with Potassium hydroxide as suggested in your chemical analysis. If I can't remove it I will look at the replacement option.

Is that OK?

Thanks

Neil
Old 05 June 2007, 17:55   #76
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Sorry mate, I have been away to Ireland for the weekend and only got back this morning.

I would like to try and get the stain removed first with Potassium hydroxide as suggested in your chemical analysis. If I can't remove it I will look at the replacement option.

Is that OK?

Thanks

Neil
Cake and eat it
Old 05 June 2007, 18:47   #77

Town: Essex/Vendee
Boat name: shockwave,Voluntry 2
Make: Pac 22/ searider5.4
Length: 6m +
Engine: 180hp turbo,yam 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedajim View Post
Cake and eat it
Comments like that really dont Help
Old 05 June 2007, 19:04   #78

Bedajim

I see replacement as a final solution if I cannot find any other way of sorting out this problem. The report shown by RIVA contained some interesting information stating that the stain was reduced by Potassium Hydroxide. So I think it would be wise to follow this advice before deciding if to replace.

I hope you agree!

Neil
Old 06 June 2007, 06:08   #79
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Bedajim

I see replacement as a final solution if I cannot find any other way of sorting out this problem. The report shown by RIVA contained some interesting information stating that the stain was reduced by Potassium Hydroxide. So I think it would be wise to follow this advice before deciding if to replace.

I hope you agree!

Neil
Sorry no
you buy a boat out of warrantee privately in your words
"to good a bargain to miss"

Was it "sold as seen" if not did you go back to the private seller? and if it was did you not see it?

When things don't work out you ask for help great
Then you're offered a permanent solution for less than 10% of your saving on the asking price of the second hand out of warrantee bargain rib, but no you want that as an open ended offer in case you can't fix it on the cheap

So this has now gone on for over a month when you could of had a fix and been on your way with a very nice rib at a great price including the 10% which I think is a fair risk for buying in the private market place

PS What is the warrantee on commercially used Etecs I assume you checked
Old 06 June 2007, 07:33   #80

[QUOTE=bedajim;203387] Sorry no
you buy a boat out of warrantee privately in your words
"to good a bargain to miss"

Was it "sold as seen" if not did you go back to the private seller? and if it was did you not see it?

When things don't work out you ask for help great
Then you're offered a permanent solution for less than 10% of your saving on the asking price of the second hand out of warrantee bargain rib, but no you want that as an open ended offer in case you can't fix it on the cheap

So this has now gone on for over a month when you could of had a fix and been on your way with a very nice rib at a great price including the 10% which I think is a fair risk for buying in the private market place

I have to say i agree!