Old 04 May 2006, 15:58   #1

Town: I.O.W/Switzerland
Boat name: HotShot
Make: shakey
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Tohatsu TLDI
SS self tappers for console

Very soon I'm going to need a load of stainless self tappers and penny washers to screw my console down with. I have a couple of questions:

1. What size do I need? Is it good/bad practise to have the screw penetrating the under side of the deck? My deck is 18mm ply + 1 mm ish of glass and the screw needs to go through the flange and the washer. What diam (across the threads) would be suitable?

2. Where is a good place to get them from? I have been in contact with www.rapoole.com and they can supply them but charge £10 postage and I would end up buying 100 which I won't need.

Many thanks.

Tim

EDIT: And I know I have to be careful not to screw through the deck and hull!
Old 04 May 2006, 16:06   #2
ADS

Town: Dorset
Length: 4m +
Not sure about the screws Tim, but my console pulled out after abit of enthusiastic ribbing off the needles
When I refitted it I used larger diameter screws but I also stuck it down with a type of silkaflex called 'Prostick', apparently this is the product to use, and the console never moved after that.
Old 04 May 2006, 16:59   #3

Town: London
Boat name: varies
Make: n/a
Length: n/a
Engine: varies
Personally, I dislike selftappers on boats as if at all possible I like the reassurance of a nut/bolt holding things down (or preferably welded!). But, the Prostick tip may be a good un. I remeber customising a 17ft Fletcher dory to an open workboat configuration. They would only supply it with a huge console, which we promptly removed. Took out all of the self tappers and then needed a winch to unstick it from the deck. They had used one of these marine sealents/glues and it obviously provided the main strength of to the whole assembly. I'd do a bit of research in that direction, as it definitely is strong!

cheers,

t
Old 04 May 2006, 17:04   #4

Town: Worcestershire
Make: Various
Engine: O/B + Sterndrives Di
Tim you require Size 8 or 10 x 3/4 A4 selftapping screws and a dollop of sealant/adhesive like Sikaflex 292 - this should prove more than adequate to hold everything down.

For the fasteners try Kevin @
A2A4 Fixings Ltd.
29 Church Street
Shirley
Southampton
SO15 5LG
Tel 02380 785320
email kev@a2a4.co.uk

www.a2a4.co.uk

The self tappers are mainly there to apply equal pressure over the flange areas whilst the adhesive cures, but add a little "belt & braces" to the installation.
Old 04 May 2006, 17:05   #5

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Remember Aston Martin - Lotus and Airbus are all bonded these days!!!
Old 04 May 2006, 20:25   #6

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Tim, you need to find the fattest you can and then get the screws one size thinner and also get a few of the fattest ones. You need to drill the correct sized pilot hole too. I know that sounds odd but if/when you strip a thread you've still got the fatter screw to save the day.

Unfortunately, I don't agree with stevetheboat on the length of the screws. By the time the screw has passed through the washer and the consol, at ¾" (19mm) you'll only have a few millimetres of screw doing the holding.

Although it pierces the deck, I'd go straight through. (Anything under the deck?) The length needs to be; washer, flange, deck and a bit to spare cos the tapered end of the screw does nuffin.

I do agree with the other folk that it's essential to use a sealer around the flange and skooshed down each screw hole. I've found good silicon sealer is more that adequate. However, a wee warning if you choose to use it; it is very slippery and will seriously lubricate the pilot hole and it is then VERY easy to overtighten the screws and strip the thread.

All from experience. I didn't google a thing.
Old 04 May 2006, 21:38   #7

Town: I.O.W/Switzerland
Boat name: HotShot
Make: shakey
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Tohatsu TLDI
right thanks for the tips guys.

Steve, I will give kev a call as I couldn't find what I needed on his website. I think as JW suggested use longer screws as I think my flange and washer will be 8-9mm.

I've found this shop:

http://www.marine-hardware.co.uk/aca...__A4__393.html

Which have what I want but seem to want to charge £11 postage to the IOW...really hacks me off that does.
Old 04 May 2006, 23:46   #8

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
I am not a lover of self tappers but if you promise to use the glue then you can try a2 a4 as Steve suggested or Screwfix would reduce your postage costs .

I have loads of SS self tappers and penny washers in the workshop , which all came from either of those two outlets. Penny washers cost about 10 p from a2/a4 now theres inflation for you
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 May 2006, 09:57   #9

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
Sikaflex

Hi Tim when I removed the bench seat from tha back of my boat most of the screws had pulled out and disappeared. All that was holding the seat down was the sikaflex on the flange.

So sikaflex all round the flange and screws at 100mm spacing. It'll never come off!
Old 05 May 2006, 10:45   #10

Town: southampton
Boat name: magic
Make: coastline 7.2
Length: 7m +
Engine: inboard diesel
self tappers

hi best place i use for a4 self tappers is baseline in fareham (segensworth) they stock lots of a4 and a2 stainless fittings and fastners, they do a mail order service , tell them you are a trade customer and you will get the discount all the local boat builders get. I agree with the 100mm spacing i used inch a4 10 s with a2 screw caps to match. Make sure you put it down with sika flex, it definitly wont go anywhere then. Hope this helps, here is the link to their web site http://www.baselinehardware.co.uk/ or phone 01489 576349, they were the cheapest i found when looking a year ago, and have used them since.
Old 05 May 2006, 18:07   #11

Town: Nutbourne
Boat name: Renegade
Make: Porter
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140 Tohatsu
MMSI: 235022904
Tim

Screwfix A4 St/St screws
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...31409&ts=52190
The are cs'k so use screw cups as well as washers.

Use them to keep things in place till the Sikaflex goes off.