Old 10 February 2016, 22:57   #1

Town: Australia
Boat name: Independent (Indy)
Make: Avon SR6
Length: 6m +
Engine: Twin 90hp E-Tec 2016
Sr 6

Does anyone have original transom weight rating for sr6.

I have an original SR6 manual but no reference.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11 February 2016, 13:07   #2

Town: Connecticut
Make: Zodiac
Engine: Undecided
Sr 6

I looked back at some older data sheets for the SR 6 Seariders and none of them have a published maximum engine weight. It is not until a 2010 model do I see one published. I do know that my old Searider 6.0 which was a 1994 did not list a maximum engine weight on the capacity plate.
Old 11 February 2016, 13:23   #3

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoing View Post
I looked back at some older data sheets for the SR 6 Seariders and none of them have a published maximum engine weight. It is not until a 2010 model do I see one published. I do know that my old Searider 6.0 which was a 1994 did not list a maximum engine weight on the capacity plate.
My D560 is the same way... the best way I've figured out is to compare the overall flotation of the tubes, as well as the overall flotation of the craft.

SR6 = 20" diameter , 2475 lb capacity
SR5.4 = 19.5" diameter , 2028 lb capacity

Since the tube diameters are close, the max weights are probably close.

The manual recommends a maximum 2 x 90HP OMC engines for the SR6 COMMERCIAL RESCUE, which for the era, weighed about 275 lb / ea, so under 550 lb if you want to stay on the safe side. It recommends 2 x 70HP OMC engines, which would put it at about 450 lb or so.

I'd throw a Yamaha F150 on it and call it a day.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2016, 21:15   #4

I had replaced the 97 2x yammaha 90's in 2008 with 2 x etec 90's. The etec 90's have failed miserably as motors (weight handling has been fine).

The etecs are about 144kg per unit. I am considering re-powering again (really need 2 engines due to remote locations I go) and I am considering repowering with 2 x motors that come in at 160-166kg per donk. approx 43kg extra loading over current weight. Transom is certainly strong enough to take the weight in my view, however, I have a marine engineer assessing it to be sure.

I would like to have put a single with a solid kicker, but not enough transom space for a centered large motor and kicker to one side I feel.
Old 12 February 2016, 06:01   #5

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
What was wrong with the etecs?
Old 13 February 2016, 04:17   #6

BRP Customer Service refused to discuss or want to follow up after broken promises of promising to call back. That was after engine 1 failed. So I ended up putting a new block in, and then 6 months later engine 2 went. This time I got onto a senior rep, who has commenced looking into it, but a drawn out process. I have provided them the downloads via a dealer so they can look at all engine data recorded. Hopefully they will assist me to be assured that Etec's belong on my boat, however, I have contingencies to roll over to another engine brand if not. Honda provide 7 year warranty over here and the 100's are well regarded. I have 2 stroke 90 carbie option as well if I want to go back down that path