Old 21 August 2013, 21:56   #1

Town: Northampton
Make: Yam
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 20hp & 2hp
SR 4 vs 4.7

So after some laborious research and possibly being brain washed by RibNet members!! I'm thinking when I upgrade (hopefully in next couple of months) it will be to one of the above as I can still tow on an unbraked trailer below 750kg - from my understanding anyway?

If the above weight is correct I'm wondering what differences / considerations I should give to the above choices and which is better? I'm presuming a 4.7 will handle chop better as its slightly bigger, but also I will require a larger outboard and with that would be higher fuel costs?

It's wanted for all the usual stuff, fishing and generally dicking about on so what's your opinions?

Thanks in advance.
Old 21 August 2013, 23:18   #2

Town: Thornbury
Make: Avon Searider 4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50hp tohatsu tldi
Obviously a 4.7 is going to more seaworthy, more powerful and is able to carry more passengers an gear.

For me I wouldn't need anything bigger than a 4m because I go out only on my own fishing and sometimes have one or two passengers. The 4m is big enough for me to do various watersports. It will be easier to Launch, and able to go shallower if you wanted to go to a secluded bay etc.

If you are regularly carrying passengers and need the deck space get a 4.7, but just remember it is more fuel, more hassle etc.
Old 22 August 2013, 00:21   #3

Cheers, how much more seaworthy are we talking? Eg what's reasonably comfortable in a 4 and what realistically are its limits?

I'm moving up from a sib to this so would obviously benefit straight away with seaworthiness being increased.

Someone on here said on another thread they looked for a boat that fitted around life rather than perfect conditions etc - so I'm looking for something that does just that eg can go out on with a bit of chop / rough as its Sod's law that's the only time I will have available!
Old 22 August 2013, 00:36   #4

Town: Thornbury
Make: Avon Searider 4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50hp tohatsu tldi
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyonestone View Post
Cheers, how much more seaworthy are we talking? Eg what's reasonably comfortable in a 4 and what realistically are its limits?

I'm moving up from a sib to this so would obviously benefit straight away with seaworthiness being increased.

Someone on here said on another thread they looked for a boat that fitted around life rather than perfect conditions etc - so I'm looking for something that does just that eg can go out on with a bit of chop / rough as its Sod's law that's the only time I will have available!
I haven't driven a searider 4.7 so couldn't tell you how much better they handle the sea. I do however know that the 4m is a very seaworthy boat and is able to go out in decent chop. Mind you a 4m does not have much deck space, it will comfortably fish 2, 3 at a push. I was very, every impressed with the sr4 (friend just got one). It handles the waves beautifully.
Old 22 August 2013, 00:41   #5

Nice, all sounding good to me! I think a 4 will do the trick. Will get out on one soon to see how I get on etc. thanks.
Old 22 August 2013, 08:59   #6

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
One little point is that the SR4 is in fact 4.2m cant tell you if the 4.7 is in fact 4.7m though!

4M is a great fit of fun, lick a go-kart of the see
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2013, 12:07   #7

4.2m ok thanks. Should fit in the garage still then so happy days.