Old 10 April 2018, 22:36   #1

Town: London
Boat name: OCHI II
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 800
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225hp Suzuki OB
Spring Recommissioning

Hi All. I had the 100HP suzuki engine on OCHI (Zodiac Pro Open 550) serviced in October last year (It is done every year, irrespective of hours used). Instead of BHG, RibShop did the work and took away the battery to keep it on trickle charge. I paid them for the service and the recommissioning and battery storage etc. Despite my contacting Kieron on the 13th of March he is now (as of today) saying 16th of May before they can recommission the boat. (work over seas, paternity leave etc etc - this I understand happens, but they should have been able to schedule the recommissioning when they did the service in October...... its not like anyone else was going to do the work... anyway, Bottom line, it is a lot of the season to loose.... I keep the boat at SDS so be nice to get some use of it in April or early May.

Can anyone advise as to what the recommissioning process actually requires? I have sent a note to Kieron today to see if he can find a solution, but am minded to just go and pick up my battery and try and do this myself. Can anyone guide me - is this viable? or is it a case of leave it to the professionals and either Ribshop find a sub contractor or I just have to bite the bullet and pay someone else to do the work.... or I guess wait until Mid May..... and with the Sun shinning as it did this afternoon, that is not terribly appealing.... guidance appreciated.

Thanks

Jonathan
Old 11 April 2018, 05:28   #2

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
This sounds like a croc of bullshit..

If they did everything they should have, and nothing they shouldn't have done when they serviced and "decommissioned" it, 30 mins should have it ready.

With the notice they've had...........no excuse.
Old 11 April 2018, 05:58   #3

Town: Cheltenham
Make: Marex
Length: 9m +
RIBase
I would collect the battery, reconnect it and stick the boat in the water. As above, if the winter service was done it should be ready to go.
Old 12 April 2018, 08:35   #4

Kieron at Ribshop has managed to re-arrange things his end and will get the recommission done this weekend so I should be in good shape come Sunday which is great news. In future I will book the recommissioning at the time the service is done in the Autumn then this issue wont happen again. Thanks for the advice and guidance all. JT
Old 12 April 2018, 09:23   #5

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTURNER View Post
Kieron at Ribshop has managed to re-arrange things his end and will get the recommission done this weekend so I should be in good shape come Sunday which is great news. In future I will book the recommissioning at the time the service is done in the Autumn then this issue wont happen again. Thanks for the advice and guidance all. JT

I’m struggling to work out why you are making the process so complicated. This “re-commissioning” sounds like a money making scheme to me. At the end of the season, give it a good fettle & clean, stick a decent battery charger on it & put it away for the winter. Book your service for spring, voila job done. You’re basically paying twice for the same thing.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2018, 09:48   #6

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
I’m struggling to work out why you are making the process so complicated. This “re-commissioning” sounds like a money making scheme to me.

And that’s being polite about it .....
Old 12 April 2018, 09:49   #7

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69cmw View Post

I’m doing my best[emoji6]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2018, 17:06   #8

Thanks all for the advice and guidance. Cheers
Old 13 April 2018, 07:20   #9

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
was the recommission because they winterised it too?
Old 13 April 2018, 12:52   #10

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 225
use it all winter and stop being a wuss, problem solved
Old 13 April 2018, 19:24   #11

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69cmw View Post
some folk are easy targets / cash cows whatever you call it
Old 13 April 2018, 20:49   #12

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starovich View Post
use it all winter and stop being a wuss, problem solved
+1

There's only been about three or four weekends all winter when the weather was actually to bad to go out. Hot air gun on the knots on the tarp ropes to untie them and the hose from a wallpaper stripper up the prop exhaust to melt the ice in the water pump and your're good to go.

PS Stick the garden hose reel in the kitchen to stop it freezing while you're away and you'll be able to rinse the engine when you get back.
Old 13 April 2018, 20:55   #13

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Sounds like utter bollo*. Classic case of 'emperor and new clothes'. Recommission, so basically battery on trickle charge, check sparks, fill with fresh fuel, and turn it over on muffs.
Old 13 April 2018, 22:29   #14

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Hmmmmm buy a charger £15 Aldi/Lidl or £50 ctek and er well errr erm erm well..............
Old 14 April 2018, 07:24   #15
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Sounds like utter bollo*. Classic case of 'emperor and new clothes'. Recommission, so basically battery on trickle charge, check sparks, fill with fresh fuel, and turn it over on muffs.
I'll jump in now and point out that the OP stated the BOAT was being "recommissioned", not the MOTOR - which was "serviced". This puts a subtly different slant on the matter.

I have no idea of the reasons here - mechanical ability/available time/nervous spouse? - but I know plenty of boaters who don't bother getting their boats looked over. Not a bad idea to pay someone to ensure a turnkey success first day out with the family in spring. So sure - anyone can trickle charge a battery - but it must be removed, stored (beside power) and replaced correctly. Not everyone wants a battery trickle charging in their house over winter. Next, consider the steering system - again one that catches a lot of men first day out. After that, the electrical system and electronics could get a lookover and the whole rig tidied up and cleaned. I've seen boats get this kind of service and there are people who for various reasons want the service and are happy to pay for it. If you are the kind of person who winces when they see "Windscreen wash, checked and filled - £5" on their car service bill - you won't understand

I've spoken to Kieron at RIBshop a couple of times and bought a few bits and bobs from him. He strikes me as a decent skin and he certainly knows his stuff. They do a lot servicing, tube work and refurbs. Exactly the right people to maintain a boat if you don't want to do it yourself. I'm sure the change in timing was a shock to the OP and it's good to see the work got "rushed" for a satisfactory ending.