Old 02 February 2015, 21:32   #21

Town: South Coast
Length: 9m +
I am not as accomplished or experienced as Alan but I agree the ARW is perfect for seeing foaming tops/crests. I am lucky that my ARW is high enough above head height that I have been able to place a thin plate underneath to stop any light flooding onto the deck. It is amazing home much light this bulb emits in terms of what appears out the murk ahead. But agreed if its shining onto the boat - counter productive.

Equally if one was to steam along with a forward facing flood/s and I was coming the other way I'd be pretty peeved and blinded! Not to mention the fact I'd probably not be able to make out the steaming lights of the boat to recognise any corrective course changes. So no, for me, it has to be flood light for slow approaches into unknown waters. . .which actually I can do quite well with a good torch. The less the beam the better. I will now only use torches that you can adjust the beam. Once in rain / visible moisture and you turn a wide beam torch on (or flood light) forget it!
Old 02 February 2015, 23:41   #22

Town: St. George's Bermuda
Make: Bespoke
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
If you have the opportunity, these are awful helpful (follow link).

ATN PS15-4 Night Vision Goggles Generation 4 - ATN corp.

Keep in mind that your nav screen should be nv compatible (various shades of green). The not so obvious downside is there relatively short shelf life; no one likes to invest that much coin for equipment whose performance rapidly declines after 2 years. Gen 3 and gen 4 ought to be available in the UK. As many have said, forget lights – go dark.

Tags
rib