Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 24 July 2004, 14:17   #1
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
Sponsorship - and the lack of it

All I can say about Fiona and Kathleens recent Round Ireland achievement is wow and double WOW.
It got me to thinking though about sponsors.
They (say) they were badly let down at the last moment by their sponsors. Alan Priddy and Co. were badly let down by sponsors at the start of the Round the World in Cardiff.
Don't these companies feel any guilt? Aren't they under, at least a moral contract?
As they benefit when the event goes ahead, is there a case for "naming and shaming" those who badly let you down?
I am thinking that maybe they fear being associated with a "failure"?
If this is the case I advise any company thinking of withdrawing for those reasons to look at Phillips experience with Pete Goss and the wave-piercing catamaran. This ended in the boat sinking and what some sneering land-lubbers would call a failure. But was it a failure for Phillips who achieved massive world-wide publicity and raised their profile far higher than the equivalent amount of advertising would have done?
Old 24 July 2004, 20:23   #2

Town: St Martins
Boat name: MATRIX
Make: Jeanneau Leader 805
Length: 8.05
Engine: Volvo KAD 43 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
As they benefit when the event goes ahead, is there a case for "naming and shaming" those who badly let you down?
I am thinking that maybe they fear being associated with a "failure"?
Your right if Alan and Co had sunk as they reached their target the Soltron Atlantic Challenge would have hit 50 times as much media coverage. Alas we live in Britain who like to hear about the failures and people who didnt make it rather than the ones that did.

Seondly, if there had been enough money in the coffers I would have dipped my hand in my pocket and added to the pot despite Soltron being on the boat or not. However, they did have Soltron aboard supplied by us, not a great contribution but every little helps.

As I said before they deserve lots more recognition than they get/got/are having for such an achievement, well done to them, they had the right boat underneath them but above all they had the courage and determination to go out there and do it. Their skill and enthusiasm paid off and I hope they will think about doing something else in the future. If that happens give me a call I will certainly look to assist wherever I can.
Old 25 July 2004, 06:35   #3

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
I haven't been involved in the lead-up/ sponsorship side of things being a last-minute stand-in Paul & I sponsored some of the fuel ourselves (only right too as it was trip-of-a-lifetime for the Missus ) as Fiona's chosen charity is really worthwhile. She is sorting out sponsors at the moment. It's heartening to realise that you are so positive about the event Brian and Depsol. Sincere thanks for your generosity of spirit. (No pun intended )
The responses on the thread about the trip and the very kind private messages show what big-hearted people are 'out there' . Feedback has been overwhelmingly positive and from people we both respect very much...

Missus
Old 25 July 2004, 18:19   #4

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
Hi Brian. Sponsorship is a very dirty word and you are right, companies that promise support "Should" stand on. Unfortunatly thet dont! In our case we were promised a working budget of £1.2m which as it happens not a single penny was paid. We are still pursuing the legal angle and we suffered a big blow when the Eddie Jordon - Vodaphone court case broke down through lack of verbal evidence. In short, Eddie was promised £3.5m over the telphone, went out and built a whole new team around said promise then Vodaphone backed out leaving him high and dry. Sound familair?
For us to sue the people who took us to Cardiff would cost us tens of thousands of pounds that we do not have. The other alternative is for us to declare ourselves bankrupt and get legal aid to fight our case for us.This would be unfair not only to us but the legal system. In the meantime we will continue to harbour our grudges and hope that someday there may be justice for people in our position Alan P
Old 26 July 2004, 20:41   #5

Town: Lymington
Boat name: Farfetched
Make: Solent Ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235021048
Charitable Sponsorship

I managed to get a lot of sponsorship in the first half of the 90s to take a number of lorries to far eastern Romania. I had my problems and let downs and learned only to rely on sponsorship when the cheque clears. Am I being too simplisitic? I have never been involved in sports sponsorship and perhaps do not understand all the issues. But happy to try to help anyone having thse sort of difficulties

Bruce