Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 11 February 2012, 12:50   #1
RIBnet supporter
 
C2 RIBS's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Hants
Boat name: Gemineye
Make: Ribeye S850 charter
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp
MMSI: 235097445
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,029
Speeding is expensive

Just read this today having been sent out on the web=
"The driver of a speeding rib has been prosecuted after being stopped by the Lymington harbourmaster.

He was seen driving at 'excessive speeds' in Short Reach on the Lymington River on 21 August last year. Watersking is banned on the river which also has a strict 6 knot speed limit. At the time he was stopped by Lymington Harbour master, he was said to be travelling around 15 - 20 knots and towing a wake boarder.

He was fined a total of 1690 at Southampton Magistrates Court on 8 February.

Lymington harbourmaster Ryan Willegers said, "In cases like this one it is appropriate for the magistrate to impose a penalty. I hope this will send out a warning to all those who would drive their craft in excess of the 6 knot speed limit."
__________________
Ian
Rib charter and Rib hire with www.c2ribs.co.uk
C2 RIBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2012, 13:00   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: leeds
Boat name: nichola
Length: 5m +
Engine: 60hp yamaha
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS View Post
Just read this today having been sent out on the web=
"The driver of a speeding rib has been prosecuted after being stopped by the Lymington harbourmaster.

He was seen driving at 'excessive speeds' in Short Reach on the Lymington River on 21 August last year. Watersking is banned on the river which also has a strict 6 knot speed limit. At the time he was stopped by Lymington Harbour master, he was said to be travelling around 15 - 20 knots and towing a wake boarder.

He was fined a total of 1690 at Southampton Magistrates Court on 8 February.

Lymington harbourmaster Ryan Willegers said, "In cases like this one it is appropriate for the magistrate to impose a penalty. I hope this will send out a warning to all those who would drive their craft in excess of the 6 knot speed limit."


and you could steal a boat and get a slap on the wrist,
__________________

__________________
smiffysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2012, 13:39   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Length: 5m +
Engine: none
MMSI: none
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,908
That does seem OTT unless his actions were endangering someone else.
I always find it strange that hi speed is usually less disruptive than displacement speeds in a RIB yet some places insist that you travel slow creating a larger wake!
__________________
BruceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2012, 17:41   #4
Member
 
spartacus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 60hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,270
RIBase
Ridiculous. I'm not condoning speeding if there's a rule in place... but nearly 1,700! The world has gone mad. You could rob a corner shop and get less. Surely there's a common-sence approach to this if the person is a first offender, wasn't aware of Jack Hawkins (aka Harbour Master's rules, etc.
__________________
Is that with or without VAT?
spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2012, 17:48   #5
Member
 
lightning's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Marple
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 585
Yeah, that's an unreasonable fine.

Sure he should not have been speeding, and have got some kind of fine or warning, but 1700 is just unfair.

but that's how the law works sometimes.
__________________
lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2012, 17:51   #6
Member
 
kerny's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 60
MMSI: 235087492
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7,040
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Ridiculous. I'm not condoning speeding if there's a rule in place... but nearly 1,700! The world has gone mad. You could rob a corner shop and get less.
We see it every week in our local rag, Joe blogs fined 250 for being caught by local pcso throwing a cigarette on the floor in Town Centre then on the next line ..Joe scrote fined 300 for being caught while driving without insurance, of course it doesn't tell you how long he had been driving without it. Could have been years
__________________
kerny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2012, 17:53   #7
Member
 
Maximus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,272
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning View Post
Yeah, that's an unreasonable fine.

Sure he should not have been speeding, and have got some kind of fine or warning, but 1700 is just unfair.

but that's how the law works sometimes.
My Stepfather was a Barrister...he never liked Magistrates...just another example of why not! If true, Bloody Ridiculous!
__________________
A clever Man learns by his mistakes..
A Wise Man learns by other people's!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2012, 17:55   #8
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,928
RIBase
There's a 6kt speed limit. He wasn't doing 10kts, he was doing 20kts, towing a wakeboard! He's probably a "f" you serial offender who ran out of luck. Catch yerselves on, yis sound like PETA and Amnesty International having a luv-in.

__________________
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2012, 18:06   #9
Member
 
Crusher's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: Bubbas Bouy
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mercruiser
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 626
RIBase
.......Magistrate keeps his yacht moored in Lymington river
__________________
Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2012, 19:05   #10
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,688
Not knowing the background, maybe he had been doing it for ages and warned about it loads of times?
__________________

__________________
A Boat is a hole in the water, surrounded by fibreglass, into which you throw money...

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.