Old 12 November 2006, 21:20   #21

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
If you think you've got a problem you should see some of the racing boats coming out of Poole trying to keep to 10 knots. They trim in/out constantly til the prop is spraying water up in the air to keep the speed down. It sounds pretty good but I bet they go through a fair few impellers.

It's a damn good argument for having an auxiliary really-apart from the safety aspect of it.
That's my whole point. Some people just can't stick to 4kts without causing expensive damage to their boats. Something like a Sunseeker for example - unless you keep dropping in and out of gear which doesn't do you any good at all. Don't think an aux would help either - unless it's got a tiller steered 225.....

WHY walking pace anyway? So much depends on the kind of boat - a heavy displacement craft will just keep going when the power is cut - my RIB almost comes to a dead stop as soon as you chop the throttle.
Old 12 November 2006, 23:40   #22

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
If you think you've got a problem you should see some of the racing boats coming out of Poole trying to keep to 10 knots. They trim in/out constantly til the prop is spraying water up in the air to keep the speed down. It sounds pretty good but I bet they go through a fair few impellers.

It's a damn good argument for having an auxiliary really-apart from the safety aspect of it.
I have no idea which race boats you've been watching, but if it was the class III and RIBs, then it's not like that at all - we run big pitch props and at 8 or 10 knots the boat is almost on the plane and the prop is slipping a fair bit - hence the noise and spray - no impellors would be harmed doing this!

Codprawn - I seriously doubt if you would get done for 6 knots in a 4 knot limit, but if that really is how fast you're going without the tide your tickover probably is a bit high!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2006, 01:34   #23

Tickover is only about 700rpm or so - it's the stupid 24" prop that's to blame!!!
Old 13 November 2006, 03:32   #24
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
I have no idea which race boats you've been watching, but if it was the class III and RIBs, then it's not like that at all - we run big pitch props and at 8 or 10 knots the boat is almost on the plane and the prop is slipping a fair bit - hence the noise and spray - no impellors would be harmed doing this!
Thanks for that-I did wonder! I've only ever seen the odd one on the way out to practice and they've been behind me on the way out so couldn't see the engine too well but that's what it sounded like-I just assumed. Hell of a noise though and sounds REALLY sexy!

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2006, 15:27   #25
ADS

Town: Dorset
Length: 4m +
The Christchurch harbour speed limit is only enforced at weekends and the odd week day during the summer, by the ex-bin men running the council patrol boat. There is no harbour authority and the speed limit is not enforced in the winter months, the navigation marks are also removed during the winter.
In the winter it is quite safe to travel up the harbour just on the plane and you will notice alot of the locals and the fishermen do just that. At the time of the offence (August 30th) I suspect that it was around fire work night/ annual regatta when there are alot of boats on the water and after the fireworks they all speed down the harbour. However, I very much doubt that it was the council patrol boat that booked him, more likely the Police RIB from Poole that attends such events. The council patrol boat quite honestly is a comedy act.
Old 13 November 2006, 16:39   #26

Town: Coventry
Make: Ribeye
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 115 4stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS View Post
In the winter it is quite safe to travel up the harbour just on the plane and you will notice alot of the locals and the fishermen do just that.
I quite agree, i've done it myself early morning/ dusk when you're the only boat about, but there is always the ' the rules don't apply to me ' who will do it regardless of circumstances and they are the ones who deserve what they get.

Rob C
Old 13 November 2006, 18:13   #27

Town: Southampton
Make: ZAR
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robox View Post
Sorry,
Totally disagree with you on this.I use Christchurch all the time and I have only seen the harbour patrol go for the ones taking the piss.If you use the harbour then you know that the channel is frequently crossed by windsurfers and inexperienced kids in dinghys . So stopping arseholes , of which there are a few in Christchurch, doing 20Knots in a 4 knot limit IS all about safety. If it was out of peak time then it is unlikely the patrol would have been there.

Rob C
Indeed, if it was the case that he was doing this speed, and endangering other users then he should have been booked, and a fine of £600 is more than acceptable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS View Post
The council patrol boat quite honestly is a comedy act.
This is the beef behind my argument!!
Old 13 November 2006, 19:05   #28

Town: Boat Lake Geneva
Boat name: Lark
Make: Capelli Cap 32 WA
Length: 10m +
Engine: Yamaha 250x2
MMSI: 235096621
I am sure most of us would like to travel at a planing speed say of 12 knots as a minium 'safe' speed, but unfortuntely rules are rules and if its 4 knots then so be it.

richard
Old 14 November 2006, 00:08   #29

Town: New Forest
Boat name: working on it
Make: Tornado
Length: 5.1
Engine: Yamaha 80
The trouble with enforcing marine speed limits is that the boat driver may be keeping absolutely at the correct limit through the water but the water, unlike a road, may also be moving in the same direction. Speed guns only measure the speed over the ground from a fixed position so our responsible boater will probably be 'speeding' with a sluicing tide under him.
I have never been sure if these limits are 'through the water' or 'over the ground'. I would welcome some guidance.

Robin
Old 14 November 2006, 00:21   #30

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Quote:
Originally Posted by robineff View Post
The trouble with enforcing marine speed limits is that the boat driver may be keeping absolutely at the correct limit through the water but the water, unlike a road, may also be moving in the same direction. Speed guns only measure the speed over the ground from a fixed position so our responsible boater will probably be 'speeding' with a sluicing tide under him.
I have never been sure if these limits are 'through the water' or 'over the ground'. I would welcome some guidance.

Robin
Robin,

You probably need no guidance.

I say this because with a decent lawyer you will get off. there are just too many variables as long as you don't go silly with the speed.

The radar gun needs to be calibrated and certified. Even then you could get a good lawyer to say that the movement of the detecting boat due to waves etc distorts figures. The operator needs to be qualified.
I have a feeling most of the courts that Marine infringemments are tried in are little more than Kangaroo courts and as such a decent Lawyer will soon earn his money.

And as for Yachties that dance up and down on their boats when a RIB goes past indicating you are going to fast, when your doing the harbour limit, then they really need to get a life and they need to go out in some rough stuff.

They are absolute saddos....
Old 14 November 2006, 06:47   #31
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
You probably need no guidance.

I say this because with a decent lawyer you will get off. there are just too many variables as long as you don't go silly with the speed.
Agreed, but nothing to do with lawyers. You're very unlikely to get a speeding ticket unless you are doing several times the speed limit. A couple of knots either way due to tide is unlikely to be of any great substance.
Quote:
And as for Yachties that dance up and down on their boats when a RIB goes past indicating you are going to fast, when your doing the harbour limit, then they really need to get a life and they need to go out in some rough stuff.
No, it indicates that although your speed may be within the limit your wash is substantial enough to be a nuisance to others. Slow down, or if possible take a wider course away from the other boats.

Mostly people are out on the water to have fun in whatever way happens to suit them. A bit of extra consideration for others goes a long way.

John
Old 14 November 2006, 08:12   #32

Town: Aylesbury
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by robineff View Post

Robin
I'm pretty sure they will be 'through the water' limits. Although I wonder how lenient a harbour master would be, if say you were doing the speed limit (didn't have a gps, so couldn't tell what over the ground you were doing) but with 3 knots of tide were in effect breaking it. I guess they'd certainly not bother with you, unless you were umoungst a school of kids in sailing dinghies in a harbour like christchurch.

I think this entire subject comes down to the situation when you get caught. As above, if you are exeeding a limit in a dangerous situation, or when you could endanger someone else on the water, then you do deserve to get booked - on the other hand I have heard that speeding fines being handed out in chichester harbour, for example, are avoided by the harbour master and generally they prefer to give you a good 'b*llocking' before letting you go. (this generally has a better effect on everyone anyway) - It also costs the harbour authority a fortune apparently everytime they have to take someone to court.

Most of the speed limits are set in these harbours to stop shore line erosion - which seems a bit mad, when I consider my RIB kicks out a ten times bigger wake when the whole hull is dragging through the water at 8 knots than it does at 15 or 20! But there we go!
Old 14 November 2006, 12:15   #33

I really annoys me when they always use the "excessive wash" line to set speed limits. I was following a big fast fishing boat the other day - at speed there was hardly any wake - I know cos I was trying to jump it - coming into the harbour he dropped off the plane - it was awesome the size of the wash.
Old 15 November 2006, 23:15   #34

Town: Staffordshire
Boat name: Pacific 9134
Make: Halmatic
Length: 6m +
Engine: 300hp Suzuki
MMSI: 232043887
who here has had a fine. I did when i was 7yrs old, i still have the ticket, upon lake windermere, doing about 15knots over the limit.
Old 15 November 2006, 23:41   #35

Town: boston
Boat name: Miss bad 61
Make: Crapko, AKA Mako
Engine: OMC Mod50
wow, all this for 20-25 Knots,that bein about 25-30mph, thare must be more to it, anyway, hear unless posted, or less than 150ft from shore or a swimmer ,the limit is what ever you can do or unlimited. i've got one or two over the years,
never had to pay them.