Old 01 May 2006, 04:37   #1

Town: Essex/Vendee
Boat name: shockwave,Voluntry 2
Make: Pac 22/ searider5.4
Length: 6m +
Engine: 180hp turbo,yam 90
Speeding and the law

Without going into the rights and wrongs of speeding i was wanting to know how it stands if on the water your doing saying fifty five mph on a nice calm quiet river the speed limit is six knots What evidence would be needed to impose a fine or more.If say a speed gun are these calibrated the same as the police ones and would they need proof of this.My apologise if this has been dicussed before but im sure we all go faster than we should at times .I will often be doing say 12 knots in the river as that is the slowest i can go to keep it on the plane.So i,m still speeding

Old 01 May 2006, 05:15   #2

Town: Taunton/Torquay UK
Boat name: Casper/Obsession
Make: Sweden Yacht/Solent
Length: 10m +
Engine: Volvo 28/Optimax 225
Well get off the plane.. 6 knots,, is 6 knots not 12 !!!!

Old 01 May 2006, 05:24   #3
Now back to being Mollers!

Town: Arundel
Boat name: Mike Bravo 1
Make: Scorp
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 300
It's an awkward one. Speed that excessive would probably lead to the Harbour Master banning you from the waters under his authority. Someone taking pics could be enough. Flat out on the plane is obviously not 6 knts, you don't need a speed camera for that one. In Falmouth, in the harbour area 'a word' is the usual outcome when caught as long as the speeds aren't too excessive.
Old 01 May 2006, 06:03   #4
CJL

Town: London
Make: Ribcrafts
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
In strict legal terms the Harbour Master is covered by the "burden of proof" i.e. he must prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you had broken the law.

If he had a photo you could get it thrown out as the photo is evidence and wont have been taken in accordance with the Police and Criminal Evidence Act. This act covers the security of evidence and how it is handled and it is unlikely that evidence would be handled in such a manner.

Therefore If el yottie took a photo of you doing 200knots unless the yottie and the harbour master could not prove that the photo had not been doctored then its quite likely you could get off scot free. However all this negotiation would have to be in a court room with your own representation. Most people are reluctant to go that far.

Local bylaws may also offer a Habour Master certain other powers particularly if your in a military port.

CJL
CJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2006, 06:08   #5

.... and if it's your 'home' port, it doesn't pay to fall-out with the HM unless you intend to change your boat every six months.
Old 01 May 2006, 06:22   #6
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
RIBase
I'd stump up the fine-if your name becomes public you're likely to get lynched (*either physically or financially) by pissed off yotties whos boats have been damaged when they've been slammed against the bank.
Check the bylaws. It's probably a 'no wake' zone too.

When I was a kid we used to fire fishguts with a bait catapult at people behaving like that in a speed limit. It's there for a reason.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2006, 06:28   #7

Town: sunny south coast
Boat name: Pride of Bilboa
Length: 10m +
MMSI: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice
.... and if it's your 'home' port, it doesn't pay to fall-out with the HM unless you intend to change your boat every six months.
Would be a bit like your 'home' forum, the admin, and having to change your username every six months..
Old 01 May 2006, 06:40   #8

Town: London
Boat name: varies
Make: n/a
Length: n/a
Engine: varies
Quote:
Originally Posted by no fear
Without going into the rights and wrongs of speeding i was wanting to know how it stands if on the water your doing saying fifty five mph on a nice calm quiet river the speed limit is six knots
If I was on a nice quiet, calm river, fishing, sailing or pottering around and a RIB came though doing 55mph in a 6 knot limit I would not be happy...Would you?

There is a fair bit of water around the UK, that is thankfully, totally unregulated and you can go as fast as you like, without any qualifications or training, if you desire. It is called the sea...

The areas with a speed limit, generally have it for a reason, normally safety. Unless you are in a jet boat you can't stop that quickly, so if you come around a corner and find a bunch of kids in kayaks, or rowers in sculls, you'll either hit 'em or sink em with the wash! In a river you have very little room to avoid other craft if you are really motoring.

Wash can be a big problem for some carft and can severely knacker up marginal reedbeds and vegetation. If the limit is 6 knots then you will be at displacement speed and yes this can kick up a bigger wash. Simple solution is to slow down a bit more.

I know you didn't want to discuss the rights and wrongs, but jet skis have an appalling reputation due to the high accident rate and the way they are frequently driven. RIBs don't because most of their skippers tend to want to do things properly and in a safe, seamanlike way. That is the appeal to many, but it doesn't stop them opening them up when they can!

Here endeth the lesson..!

t

PS. plus when you finally get out to where the limit ends, it is far more satisfying to punch the throttles wide open...
Old 01 May 2006, 06:53   #9

Town: Essex/Vendee
Boat name: shockwave,Voluntry 2
Make: Pac 22/ searider5.4
Length: 6m +
Engine: 180hp turbo,yam 90
I thank you for your inputs, some i think have misinterprited me I am considerate on the water to other users conserning wakes and speed also keeping a wide berth and when i mean quite i mean no mored boats.............................Nos4r2 Good for you i,d say if they were that close that you could get them with fish they deserved it.
Old 01 May 2006, 07:20   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcwozere
Would be a bit like your 'home' forum, the admin, and having to change your username every six months..
Yep, something like that. Although I'm not exactly Mr. 70mph, I do tend to stick to water speed limits. They're there for pretty sensible reasons. The upper reaches of the Fal have had limits placed on them in recent years which can be pretty fustrating as these are fairly big expanses of water. Roy and I did slip a tad over the 8knts when coming back down the other eve.