Old 01 May 2006, 08:24   #11

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
I thought a planing hull created less wash than when it was travelling just off the plane?

Some displacement hulls I have seen at 6kts make a hell of a wake - far more than say a Ring at 65kts.

Old 01 May 2006, 08:30   #12
Now back to being Mollers!

Town: Arundel
Boat name: Mike Bravo 1
Make: Scorp
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
I thought a planing hull created less wash than when it was travelling just off the plane?

Some displacement hulls I have seen at 6kts make a hell of a wake - far more than say a Ring at 65kts.
Very true Codders, but the limits aren't just about wash. Using that one when up infront of 'His Honour' probably wouldn't wash either.

Old 01 May 2006, 08:33   #13

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn

Of course. Ther argument we always trot out is that at 25kts I'm making less wake than at 6. Makes no odds though for 20kts might be inappropriate on a crowded river just as 60mph on a residential street would be foolish. On an empty river with no concerns about bank erosion then what harm are you doing. It comes down to that consideration and courtesy to other users thing. Even in unrestricted areas I would alter course where possible to avoid passing close to other vessels. Its the right thing to do IMHO.

No Fear, are we talking about the River Colne in your example? Some years ago I got 'nabbed' for a complete brainfade moment in heading into the entrance past the channel to Brightlingsea at 50mph in a 21ft Fletcher. The police boat that eventually caught up with us asked us where we had come from and what we were doing. I had the mea culpa moment and confessed to knowing the speedlimit and completely forgetting about it in the relief of having crossed from Bradwell in a very nasty F4-5 chop which involved me (the only person not wearing a wetsuit onboard) getting very wet in the process. The police were actually very decent about it as there were few others around (we were looking for somewhere sheltered to ski) and let me off with a warning. My hardboat friends love to remind me about this incident to this day.
Old 01 May 2006, 09:29   #14

Town: swansea
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140hp suzuki
dont go on rivers btw, but engine noise for just on the plane wudnt create much more noise than the chuggering of going slow, and wudnt it create less wash as less hull pushing through the water, within reason?
Old 01 May 2006, 11:19   #15

Town: Binfield
Boat name: merlinless now
Length: no boat
two years ago, when i was teaching, two jetski came down the channel towards Northney doing a considerable speed,,,basically they pissed everybody off and probably gave jetskis a bad name,,,knowing which way they were going i VHF'd the harbour master. Why you may ask, well there were lots of kids dinghy sailing and often popped out from behind a moored boat.
Old 01 May 2006, 11:21   #16

Town: Hoxne
Boat name: Southern Comfort
Make: NorthCraft 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Optimax
MMSI: 235033276
Send a message via MSN to Under the Thumb
Speeding and the weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fear
Without going into the rights and wrongs of speeding i was wanting to know how it stands if on the water your doing saying fifty five mph on a nice calm quiet river the speed limit is six knots

The areas of the nice flat calm river where we were doing 50+ mph were the two waterski areas which are marked on charts for the area and also by signs on the bank, so as long as you weren't following a Grey Ribtec 585 there were no rules broken.

Otherwise you should stick to the speed limits cos they're there for a reason, (which may not be very obvious to us)

Marine Safety / Photography / Event Management
www.northernexposurerescue.org.uk
Under the Thumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2006, 13:12   #17

Town: Newquay, Cornwall.
Boat name: None :(
Make: None :(
Length: 5m +
Engine: None :(
MMSI: None :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice
Roy and I did slip a tad over the 8knts when coming back down the other eve.
Oh shit - ive been implicated in the crime now I was only trying to keep up
roycruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2006, 14:09   #18
Now back to being Mollers!

Town: Arundel
Boat name: Mike Bravo 1
Make: Scorp
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by roycruse
Oh shit - ive been implicated in the crime now I was only trying to keep up
My Gps wouldn't flash up, I thought we were doing 8knts What's your excuse?
Old 01 May 2006, 17:20   #19

Town: York
Boat name: Hi Flyer
Make: Humber - Ocean Pro
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 140hp
MMSI: 235033234
Popped down to the river for a potter about just before Easter. Guy at the boat yard was telling me he got fined a couple of years ago. Caught doing 24 in a 5mph zone. Evidence was a photo taken by a fisherman. Encouraged to photograph speeding boats. Get paid 400 by the authorities for each photo leading to a prosecution/fine. The fine is 500 - so self funding. Tried to appeal - difficult with a photo showing him up on the plane! Don't know if they are still doing this but won't be trying to find out. Having been nearly swamped once by some drunken lout on Windemere I quite agree with it.
Old 02 May 2006, 07:12   #20
DGR

Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
Yeah, I got knocked off the back of my RIB by a speeding nobba on Easter weekend. I was checking my outdrive leg and prop on the mooring when he blasted past, and I couldn't get back into the boat before I was hit by a 3 foot wave. Luckily I was harnessed on, so technically I didn't go for a swim........filled my wellies tho'.

Whilst there are arguments about noise and wash, to me it's more the speed that's the problem. A RIB just on the plane doesn't cause much wash, or that much engine noise, but if in confined waters and you hit something/someone...not good. The faster you go, the less time you have to act.........IMHO......especially when there are other, faster things out there that simply don't look!!

D...