Old 16 March 2018, 21:56   #1

Town: Thetford
Make: Rimini
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 75hp
Speed restrictions

Hi.
I was told that from Suffolk yacht harbor the speed limit is 6 knots on the river orwell. I can see areas on the map where this is lifted such as water ski areas etc. However where does the speed restrictions end when heading out to sea ?

I cannot see any indications on my map or plotter

Thanks in advance

B7 😀
Old 17 March 2018, 09:38   #2

Town: IPSWICH
Make: zodiac
RIBase
speed restricitions

i am not too sure myself about where the limit ends in the Orwell but i think in most of the marinas on the river there are small maps posted indicating where limits apply.
i had to test my boat at speed after work was done on it at levington and choose the ski area to do it in although that was in the winter when nobody was using that area. some years ago.
a good idea would be to pop into the habour master at Shotley marina. he will know. they are manned 24/7
Old 17 March 2018, 14:37   #3

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
quite an interesting question really , especially when you come through the port of felixstowe the first speed limit bouy is about 50 metres past the last crane (river side) , i am not sure that means you can open her right up in the middle of britains biggest container port ,not sur you would be too popular , i too have done wot tests for prop selection in the water ski area just down river from levington
Old 17 March 2018, 14:47   #4

Town: ipswich
Boat name: Red Line
Make: Tohatsu
Engine: 70hp tohatsu
Hi Blakeys7,

The speed limit ends just before the docks. There’s a yellow marker buoy which indicates the start of the speed limit if entering the river and the end when exiting. It’s on the left hand side 500m before the hard docks start when exiting the river
Old 17 March 2018, 15:20   #5

Thanks for your advice

I just went up under orwell bridge and back the other day. Seems a big stretch of water for 6 knots

But then I too used the water ski area friday to give the boat a test. Its still at SYH at the mo just having an engine service, but that was the first time on the river orwell.

Just out of interest Orwell Boy and Bigo, you sound like you know the area. Any favorite places to visit, easy access beaches etc etc ?

I assume in a rib most areas are accessible at most states of the tide.

Thanks again
Old 17 March 2018, 20:53   #6

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakeys7 View Post
Thanks for your advice

Just out of interest Orwell Boy and Bigo, you sound like you know the area. Any favorite places to visit, easy access beaches etc etc ?

Thanks again
Fish and chips at Brightlingsea was a good outing last year clacton air show from the water also a good day ,think same at southwold has to be done this year , personally its still a learning curve for me so fair weather only but seems more and more ribs in the area now so feel some meet up trips may be able to happen this year ,have seen a group going out from titchmarsh marina to lowestoft also ,more locally theres the maybush at waldingfield up the deben and no speed limit on the deben till may i think
Old 17 March 2018, 21:12   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell boy View Post
Fish and chips at Brightlingsea was a good outing last year clacton air show from the water also a good day ,think same at southwold has to be done this year , personally its still a learning curve for me so fair weather only but seems more and more ribs in the area now so feel some meet up trips may be able to happen this year ,have seen a group going out from titchmarsh marina to lowestoft also ,more locally theres the maybush at waldingfield up the deben and no speed limit on the deben till may i think
Thanks for the suggestions. I am definitely up for meeting and some trips out. I plan on using SYH to launch. They seem friendly enough there. Just let me know when you plan anything and likewise Ill post when going out.

All we need now is temperature in double figures 😂

Blakey