Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 05 March 2007, 14:11   #1
Member
 
qcamel's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Newcastle upon Tyne
Boat name: Happy Hours
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300 Verado
MMSI: 235040122
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 476
Southampton Drystack, Opinions?

Hi

I am thinking of storing me boat here and traveling down by one of the cheap air carriers to use it. It appeals due to its proximity to the airport. Does anybody have any experiance or thoughts about the place, good or bad?

Many thanks

Ollie
__________________

__________________
Ollie
qcamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 March 2007, 14:40   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cleethorpes
Boat name: Storm Chaser
Make: Humber Ocean Pro
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200HO E Tec
MMSI: 235039476
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 83
Southampton Drystack, Opinions?

Hi Ollie,

Can't answer your question but we were looking at coming up to Newcastle (on this piss) in the near future. Heard its a good night. Any recommendations?
__________________

__________________
ChrisB123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 March 2007, 14:49   #3
Administrator
 
John Kennett's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 6,830
Ollie

Someone else asked a few weeks ago. There was a bit if discussion here

John
__________________
John Kennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 March 2007, 16:33   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: Aftica
Make: Rib-X
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 Evinrude Etec
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 7
The great guys at Southampton Dry Stack

Well, i have had a few dealings with Hugh, Joe and Bill and i have found them nothing but helpful. I have a several friends that choose to use the dry stack and they all believe that it is a great service.

I have taught some training courses which have run from the dry stack, and when we returned one evening, they were unable to lift out the RIB as they are not allowed to use the Forklift in dark hours, so we thought great, it would be waiting on the water ready for us the following day - we rocked up the following day and the boat had been lifted out, washed off, engine run through and popped back to sleep for a few hours!

15 minutes later, the boat was on the water and we were off to the island.

It is one of the few places where i really can say that you get excellent service. If you need to have your trailer out of the way, they can help, and it is also possible to get a secure locker on site to save you having to carry everything in from home all the time too.

If you want to work on your boat, they have service racks available for use and you do not have to sign up with them for a full year, they do short period stacking too.

I recommend them - but if you are wanting to do more work on a boat, this may not be the best solution for you. Chat with Bill and Hugh i am sure they can come up with a solution if you are interested!
__________________
UNIwatersports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 March 2007, 16:53   #5
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisB123 View Post
Hi Ollie,

Can't answer your question but we were looking at coming up to Newcastle (on this piss) in the near future. Heard its a good night. Any recommendations?

Yeah, It's all true about Geordies going out on the piss with sod-all clothes on so go out nekkid if you don't want to stand out...
If she says she's from Denton Burn or the council estate off the A69 hang on to your wallet and run.
Oh, and watch for fat birds called Debbie... Never again... If I told you the story you wouldn't believe it

I like Trillians-though there's very little I can actually remember about the place

<hijack over>
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 March 2007, 17:26   #6
Member
 
qcamel's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Newcastle upon Tyne
Boat name: Happy Hours
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300 Verado
MMSI: 235040122
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisB123 View Post
Hi Ollie,

Can't answer your question but we were looking at coming up to Newcastle (on this piss) in the near future. Heard its a good night. Any recommendations?
Funny you should ask me but I own a number of the busier bars in the city so more than happy to give you advice and tips, can sort club entry too although your drunkeness will dictate whether you get in or not!

Let me know via PM when your planning the trip and I will help all I can.
__________________
Ollie
qcamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 March 2007, 17:28   #7
Member
 
qcamel's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Newcastle upon Tyne
Boat name: Happy Hours
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300 Verado
MMSI: 235040122
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIwatersports View Post
Well, i have had a few dealings with Hugh, Joe and Bill and i have found them nothing but helpful. I have a several friends that choose to use the dry stack and they all believe that it is a great service.

I have taught some training courses which have run from the dry stack, and when we returned one evening, they were unable to lift out the RIB as they are not allowed to use the Forklift in dark hours, so we thought great, it would be waiting on the water ready for us the following day - we rocked up the following day and the boat had been lifted out, washed off, engine run through and popped back to sleep for a few hours!

15 minutes later, the boat was on the water and we were off to the island.

It is one of the few places where i really can say that you get excellent service. If you need to have your trailer out of the way, they can help, and it is also possible to get a secure locker on site to save you having to carry everything in from home all the time too.

If you want to work on your boat, they have service racks available for use and you do not have to sign up with them for a full year, they do short period stacking too.

I recommend them - but if you are wanting to do more work on a boat, this may not be the best solution for you. Chat with Bill and Hugh i am sure they can come up with a solution if you are interested!
I had a long chat with Hugh earlier today and thought it all sounded very very good, its good to hear that its not just all talk.

Thank you
__________________
Ollie
qcamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 March 2007, 03:39   #8
Member
 
Cookee's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 4,225
The owner of one of our RIBs has his boat there and I delivered it last year - they are very helpful people and nothing is too much trouble - I would also recommend Drivers Wharf next door as an alternative - a totally different set-up, but also really nice people!
__________________
Cookee
Originally Posted by Zippy
When a boat looks that good who needs tubes!!!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 March 2007, 08:05   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: Eighth Child
Make: Rib X
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 E-Tec
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 265
Sds

I keep my boat at SDS and I'll echo all the positive comments made before.
__________________
Peter J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 March 2007, 08:12   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Inverkip
Make: Redbay 11m Cabin
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x Yamaha422Sti 275
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcamel View Post
Hi

I am thinking of storing me boat here and traveling down by one of the cheap air carriers to use it. It appeals due to its proximity to the airport. Does anybody have any experiance or thoughts about the place, good or bad?

Many thanks

Ollie
Ollie,
What about your Carbon Footprint ..........................oh that right you've got a Verado.

When you coming back up here with that fine Vessel?
cheers
Andy
__________________

__________________
Hard or Soft it's never BIG enough
Andy Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:14.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.