Old 05 June 2013, 21:33   #21

Town: hallaar
Boat name: Bliksem
Make: ribquest
Length: 6m +
Engine: outboard
Just another sight from the other side of the UK (Belgium) and yes i own a very Brittish rib!!
White Hull, white (or light grey) as dominant color and black for the tubes. I agree for the seats: have a look at the Technohull seats (well not a design from them i guess) it is something that you could best define as as a stanup bolster but with a flexible seat like the on a bike (but larger).
Garmin electronics i agree bu also a nice solution to put a large seamap in front of you maybe!
Engine on the 7.5 hull perhaps a 6cylinder yes. But please keep it on budget and add some really sensible accessories (no need for hifi) such as a anchir locker with a clam to hold the anchor onplace, possibility to add a sunbed for those who want it, an inflatable tent for the front that folds away easily for those wanting to some overnight sessions and some watertight easy lockable compartments and a antitheft system....
if you can do that within a competitive budget you would have not only an eye-catching but also crisis resistent rib: cheers for what my contribution is worth....
Old 06 June 2013, 08:32   #22

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250kts View Post
Andre, another request to see the 10m Baltic cabin RIB, I may even get Mrs B to let me buy it!
If you do go for someting in the 8m size, spec it right up and go for some bright colours, with a 300/350 verado
Steve
Hi Steve

Just the thing one would expect from Santa

as for colours any thoughts here?
Old 06 June 2013, 08:41   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bliksem View Post
Just another sight from the other side of the UK (Belgium) and yes i own a very Brittish rib!!
White Hull, white (or light grey) as dominant color and black for the tubes. I agree for the seats: have a look at the Technohull seats (well not a design from them i guess) it is something that you could best define as as a stanup bolster but with a flexible seat like the on a bike (but larger).
Garmin electronics i agree bu also a nice solution to put a large seamap in front of you maybe!
Engine on the 7.5 hull perhaps a 6cylinder yes. But please keep it on budget and add some really sensible accessories (no need for hifi) such as a anchir locker with a clam to hold the anchor onplace, possibility to add a sunbed for those who want it, an inflatable tent for the front that folds away easily for those wanting to some overnight sessions and some watertight easy lockable compartments and a antitheft system....
if you can do that within a competitive budget you would have not only an eye-catching but also crisis resistent rib: cheers for what my contribution is worth....
Many thanks for your ideas. Much appreciated. There is not much space on a 7,50 mtr rib especially for sleeping on deck or as you call it overnight sessions for such a B & B in Cowes is more suited
Old 06 June 2013, 13:21   #24

Many thanks to those who kindly responded to my thread
However no specific colours were indicated. For sure I do not want the tube in the colours like the harbour master's rib in Cowes.

I must place the order on Monday and will then post the final choice.
Old 06 June 2013, 13:39   #25

Town: London
Length: 4m +
In terms of colours, I think dark grey tubes, black strake, black hull looks very aggressive and smart at the same time!
Old 06 June 2013, 14:10   #26
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
Will one sell it at the show or will one be stuck with her?
I'll look after it for you so you don't get stuck with it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjmehra View Post
As for head turners, I'd imagine one of your high end cabin ribs would draw some crowds in (I'd love to see a Parker Baltic Cruiser in the flesh)!
I agree - but drawing interest and selling boats are not the same thing. That said - someone needs to give Redbay a bit of competition and there is certainly a market for Ribs with lids. A cabin would probably appeal to people that Mike Garside's latest ribcraft might not, but might still attract discussion from those looking for a 'tough' boat? You'll know how many boats you sell of each type though and the number of enquiries you get for cabins whether it is worth it.

Quote:
Many thanks to those who kindly responded to my thread
However no specific colours were indicated. For sure I do not want the tube in the colours like the harbour master's rib in Cowes.

I must place the order on Monday and will then post the final choice.
I think dark grey or dark blue tubes with black strake are fairly 'neutral' and easier to sell. I did see someone's boat with a pin stripe of red round the rubbing strake which was a nice flash of colour on a grey boat. Personally I think white console and hull are more likely to be mainstream.

Bright colours might get interest - but I think will get a "one like that with sensible coloured tubes". Orange is for rescue / dive boats. Yellow might sell. Red is OK - but I've never seen a red boat that made me go wow!

As for seats I'd be inclined to try something different like a nice bolster / leaning arrangement if the ergonomics work - but install in such a way that swapping for jockeys or scotseats is just some bolts?
Old 06 June 2013, 14:45   #27

Quote:
In terms of colours, I think dark grey tubes, black strake, black hull looks very aggressive and smart at the same time!
someone once said that Parker do any colour - as long as it is Military grey
I have had a few ribs in that colour and I think it is a great colour but too much military / commercial appearance and this is what I want to go away from

I do not think the rib has had enough exposure in the UK and she has a superb hull

Many thanks for your coments
Old 06 June 2013, 14:48   #28

Town: London
I think the Parker name is fairly well know, but in terms of exposure, one thing that I think really helps out Redbay, is their pre-owned section on their website. It makes it very easy for potential owners to work out depreciation and how likely they are able to sell up/move on.

If Parker had a similar page, it may be very useful for prospective owners as these days a very realistic concern has to be second hand value.
Old 06 June 2013, 15:17   #29

Quote:
I think the Parker name is fairly well know, but in terms of exposure, one thing that I think really helps out Redbay, is their pre-owned section on their website. It makes it very easy for potential owners to work out depreciation and how likely they are able to sell up/move on.

If Parker had a similar page, it may be very useful for prospective owners as these days a very realistic concern has to be second hand value.
Point taken only we do not get involved in the sale of second hand ribs especially since a lot are overseas

The only second hand ribs we sell are our ex-demo ribs
Old 06 June 2013, 15:25   #30

Many thanks for your kind offer I will bear that in mind

the so called "ribs with lids" are a vast part of our production. These are mainly for commercial work like the Parker 900 Baltic we supplied last year to the Aberystwyth University this rib operates from Swansea or Cardiff . we will soon launch a new 12 mtr cabin with twin diesel jets saying this the design has been completed just to make the plugs and moulds. these are done in-house on our fully auto 5 axis CMS machine. We stopped using man made timber models some 2 years ago

Back to colours well a blue colour will fade in the sun perhaps a yellow one or all yellow rib with black rubbing strake , black upholstery with yellow piping

something to think about over the weekend as my demo rib is not back till 17th June so more garden work as well. All finished only no transport available this week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I'll look after it for you so you don't get stuck with it!

I agree - but drawing interest and selling boats are not the same thing. That said - someone needs to give Redbay a bit of competition and there is certainly a market for Ribs with lids. A cabin would probably appeal to people that Mike Garside's latest ribcraft might not, but might still attract discussion from those looking for a 'tough' boat? You'll know how many boats you sell of each type though and the number of enquiries you get for cabins whether it is worth it.

I think dark grey or dark blue tubes with black strake are fairly 'neutral' and easier to sell. I did see someone's boat with a pin stripe of red round the rubbing strake which was a nice flash of colour on a grey boat. Personally I think white console and hull are more likely to be mainstream.

Bright colours might get interest - but I think will get a "one like that with sensible coloured tubes". Orange is for rescue / dive boats. Yellow might sell. Red is OK - but I've never seen a red boat that made me go wow!

As for seats I'd be inclined to try something different like a nice bolster / leaning arrangement if the ergonomics work - but install in such a way that swapping for jockeys or scotseats is just some bolts?
Old 06 June 2013, 20:44   #31

Town: Lymington
Boat name: Farfetched
Make: Solent Ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235021048
I have always liked yellow with a grey (not black) strake and off white glass to avoid glare. To make people sit up and stare, how about a 7.5 but fully commercially specc'ed with liferaft mounted etc and a commercial "for hire" story?

Cheers

Bruce
Old 07 June 2013, 07:14   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucehawsker View Post
I have always liked yellow with a grey (not black) strake and off white glass to avoid glare. To make people sit up and stare, how about a 7.5 but fully commercially specc'ed with liferaft mounted etc and a commercial "for hire" story?

Cheers

Bruce
Hello Bruce, long time not seen. I trust you are well.

I have a 7.5 which could be commercially specc'ed, this has to be 100% leisure and no liferaft
Old 07 June 2013, 08:41   #33

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
what about something relatively affordable Andre.!!
Old 07 June 2013, 11:06   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt h View Post
what about something relatively affordable Andre.!!
Matt, Good point only I do not want a 510 demo rib. There is enough of this size made in the UK and the cost of transport from the factory will kill the deal. The 650 is a good choice but the 750RS is a better performer.
An affordable rib is like “ how long is a piece of string” .

we will not compromise the quality or performance in order to reduce the price
I know the 750RS is the right choice and need only to make a decision on the colour scheme
Old 07 June 2013, 11:52   #35

Town: Daventry & Beaulieu
Boat name: Tigga2
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Engine: Honda BF50
MMSI: 235900806
RIBase
Quote:

I know the 750RS is the right choice and need only to make a decision on the colour scheme
Most ribs at the show will be white hulls and grey or black tubes. Go with something different to those colours and eye catching. I personally think blue tubes look nice, and are not too OTT. Yellow is striking but it is not to everyone's taste so probably best to avoid yellow tubes.
chris.moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 June 2013, 14:40   #36
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
“ how long is a piece of string”
That's easy. Mine is 793mm

Good thread BTW - nice to see a Trade Member "movin' it, shakin' it!"
Old 07 June 2013, 15:20   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
That's easy. Mine is 793mm

Good thread BTW - nice to see a Trade Member "movin' it, shakin' it!"
Cheers Willk , but I still have not got the colours sorted. Mike C and Mrs Mike C are coming tomorrow for a B & Q so I will have ready as one of the topics of conversation , as one does, the ORCA colour samples and RAL colour samples. We may just over a few beers come up with the right colour scheme who knows, for sure not military grey, not all black and not too sure about ocean blue tubes as these tend to fade in the sun and here in the UK we have loads of that

I will post the conclusion of this thread on Monday and as the manufacturing progresses I will keep the forum updated with photos and once the rib has been completed I will advise price say ex-SBS / Southampton Dry Stack
Old 07 June 2013, 16:05   #38

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
Grey Hull Red Toobs Black engine. 4 pods with wingbacks....
Old 07 June 2013, 22:41   #39

Town: Reading
Boat name: many
Make: BWM
Engine: inboard and outboard
These "weekend hard boats" you are thinking of exhibiting at SIBS are they "Rip-offs" like your Ribs???
Old 08 June 2013, 06:23   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymr View Post
These "weekend hard boats" you are thinking of exhibiting at SIBS are they "Rip-offs" like your Ribs???
You can see the Parker weekend hard boats here
Parker Poland ? Bateaux à moteur - Parker Poland ? Bateaux à moteur - Home

And as far as your comment "rip-offs" like your Ribs??? Then perhaps you would like to explain this or perhaps be more careful with the choice of your words