Old 04 August 2019, 16:05   #1

Boat name: Jetset
Make: Demon Ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 225 Opti
South coast storage and launching recommendations

Hi all, collect my new boat next week after a couple years off the water. I'll be keeping my boat in Devon for the remainder of this year, but thinking next year may move to the south coast, Poole, Solent etc. for a change in scenery.

Can you let me know any recommendations for boat yards and/or dry stack?

I normally launch and recover myself, but also looking at dry stack options to try for the year.

Boat is 6.5m on trailer, I don't want to leave in the water as don't want to start anti fouling.

I've had a quote for swanick and gosport dry stack, but would welcome other recommendations.
Old 04 August 2019, 16:43   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: Brixham
Boat name: Jazz
Make: XS
Engine: Suzuki
Southampton Dry Stack, just found the corner from Swanick. Not as posh but a lot friendlier and cheaper. I was there for while before moving to Devon recently. There's a few guys on here that have been there for a while now.
Old 04 August 2019, 17:04   #3

Town: Derby
Boat name: Jean-Marie
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mercury 300
SDS [emoji106]
Old 04 August 2019, 17:15   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36valley View Post
Southampton Dry Stack, just found the corner from Swanick. Not as posh but a lot friendlier and cheaper. I was there for while before moving to Devon recently. There's a few guys on here that have been there for a while now.
Thanks. I'll get a quote
Old 04 August 2019, 17:34   #5
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Driver's Wharf is worth a chat to as well-boat stays on the trailer when not in use and is launched by crane. Separate storage and launch fees. Very spit and sawdust, but really nice people there.

For my Ballistic 7.8 it worked out significantly cheaper there than in SDS if I didn't use it every week-and there's a bloody good outboard guy just outside the gate.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 August 2019, 18:53   #6

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Gecko
Make: Valiant
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115 Optimax
MMSI: 235060442
RIBase
Try Universal on the Hamble. SDS is 1/2 Hour from the Solent
Old 06 August 2019, 10:48   #7

Town: Fareham
Boat name: Red Dog
Make: Porters Renegade
Engine: 150 HP Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjohnson View Post
Hi all, collect my new boat next week after a couple years off the water. I'll be keeping my boat in Devon for the remainder of this year, but thinking next year may move to the south coast, Poole, Solent etc. for a change in scenery.

Can you let me know any recommendations for boat yards and/or dry stack?

I normally launch and recover myself, but also looking at dry stack options to try for the year.

Boat is 6.5m on trailer, I don't want to leave in the water as don't want to start anti fouling.

I've had a quote for swanick and gosport dry stack, but would welcome other recommendations.
I am in Eastlands boat yard on the Hamble River, good slip, its tidal but there are pontoons so you can launch when convenient and leave it in the water.

Andy
Old 07 August 2019, 07:17   #8

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: Hullabaloo
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
RIBase
For comparison, annual cost for unlimited launch and recovery here at KB Dry Stack at the entrance to Portsmouth Harbour is £3,120 (inc vat).
Old 15 August 2019, 12:20   #9

thanks for the replies. i got quotes from a variety of locations and visited SDS early this week.
They were incredibly helpful and engaging with reasonable pricing, so i'll probably be taking the boat there. Just need to make a decision on timing and whether to move boat next month or wait until later in the year/early 2020.
Old 16 August 2019, 06:24   #10

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjohnson View Post
thanks for the replies. i got quotes from a variety of locations and visited SDS early this week.
They were incredibly helpful and engaging with reasonable pricing, so i'll probably be taking the boat there. Just need to make a decision on timing and whether to move boat next month or wait until later in the year/early 2020.
They are a good bunch but remember there are no facilities as such & it’s a half hour Motor just to reach Southampton Water.
We were going to use them but got the same deal from Universal. I could be in Cowes before you have reached SWater
Old 16 August 2019, 11:50   #11
RIBnet supporter

Having kept a boat at both Universal (albeit 30 years ago) and SDS I doubt there's much difference between the time to get down the Hamble and the time to get down the Itchen. You then have a ten minute run down Southampton Water before you get to the mouth of the Hamble. Whilst it's true facility's at SDS are a little basic they do have toilets and somewhere to make a hot drink if you need them. For me the choice would come down to the car journey to reach either and the attitude of the staff.
Old 18 August 2019, 08:17   #12

The run down the Itchen is only 20 mins and this gives you time to let the engine warm up at low speed, carry out radio checks, plot your course, get your crew familiar with the boat etc. Before you know it you are good to go at Southampton Water [emoji106]
Old 18 August 2019, 09:20   #13

Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain Davies View Post
The run down the Itchen is only 20 mins and this gives you time to let the engine warm up at low speed, carry out radio checks, plot your course, get your crew familiar with the boat etc. Before you know it you are good to go at Southampton Water [emoji106]
Ah. You've just explained the whole 'solent' radio check obsession... They are all finding things to do while getting to the sea

Crew familiarity - I think is reasonable. But lots of people will be with same crew each time.

Course plotting... A ball ache underway. For short passages in the solent you can usually go by eye. For big passages, I would have a plan before I got to the boat.

Do you have 20minutes of putting the boat away on the return? No radio check, no unplotting, no defamiliarising...
Old 18 August 2019, 11:10   #14

Enough said [emoji848]
Old 18 August 2019, 13:09   #15

Town: Winchester
Boat name: The Rubber Duck
Make: Avon 3.10
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Just launching

I only live a short hop from Southampton/Hamble and have always used Warsash for launching my Ribs.

However since having a short break from Ribbing I now see they are charging £4 per launch and can't even guarantee a parking space.

I now have a boatshed at home built specifically to keep my boat out of the weather, so stacking/storage does not interest me. Does anyone know of a Solent launch yourself service with secure parking for car and trailer.

I seem to think Hamble Point offer this but i would be very interested to hear of others.

Just for reference, my brother used SDS and loved it there, only moved because he relocated.

Many thanks fellas.
Old 18 August 2019, 19:52   #16

RIBase
Quote:
Having kept a boat at both Universal (albeit 30 years ago) and SDS I doubt there's much difference between the time to get down the Hamble and the time to get down the Itchen. You then have a ten minute run down Southampton Water before you get to the mouth of the Hamble. Whilst it's true facility's at SDS are a little basic they do have toilets and somewhere to make a hot drink if you need them. For me the choice would come down to the car journey to reach either and the attitude of the staff.

Theres a big differance!
Old 18 August 2019, 20:13   #17
RIBnet supporter

"There's a big difference"

Not on my chart! The distance from SDS and Universal at displacement speed before you can open up is 'about' two miles for both. You have to come a fair way out into Southampton Water from the Hamble before you lose the 5 knot speed limit.
Old 19 August 2019, 07:54   #18

RIBase
Quote:
"There's a big difference"

Not on my chart! The distance from SDS and Universal at displacement speed before you can open up is 'about' two miles for both. You have to come a fair way out into Southampton Water from the Hamble before you lose the 5 knot speed limit.

Old 19 August 2019, 15:38   #19

Town: southampton
Make: ribeye
Engine: 140 suzuki
Interesting debate....

My only observation is that Hamble is quite difficult to get to. One road in and one road out. Add to that, holiday traffic following satnavs etc. I guess I would rather be in the boat travelling along, rather than sitting in the car. Besides, the infamous Imperial and Empress Roads out of St Denys late at night is all part of the experience, when over that way...
Old 19 August 2019, 16:18   #20

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribber View Post
Interesting debate....

My only observation is that Hamble is quite difficult to get to. One road in and one road out. Add to that, holiday traffic following satnavs etc. I guess I would rather be in the boat travelling along, rather than sitting in the car. Besides, the infamous Imperial and Empress Roads out of St Denys late at night is all part of the experience, when over that way...

Warsash doent have that issue Simon. I can be in Universal in 10 mins from Botley