Old 22 May 2017, 23:41   #1

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
Something big on the line

Ok I must admit I wasn't going to post this but the fact I know a few other anglers who've had similar happen to them must mean its not just a one off.

Headed out alone on the weekend (kids were driving me nuts) with just a light 10 lb outfit in the hope of a couple of snapper. Not having the kids onboard I decided not to take a camera, after all I was just after a few for dinner, not chasing the trophy fish.

After a 35 min run I was at my favourite snapper spot in just 56m of water, the sounder looked promising with plenty of fish showing. First bait down was grabbed by a fish instantly, this wasn't the species I was after so was instantly returned.

As I stared at the tip of my rod as my second bait just hit bottom I was suddenly shocked to see the water turn white under the boat . It took a few moments to realise what it was, but as soon as I saw the shape of two humpback whale tales skim across the bottom of the boat I new exactly what they were.

My 10 lb braid instantly started pulling away as entangled the whales tale, not the best feeling knowing how easily thin braid cuts into things. I kept the tension quite low but by this time the whale had noticed (I believe) and turned back at the boat. Incredibly it just came to the side of the boat where it allowed me to unwrap my line from its tail.

I did have a mobile phone that I thought I had on video mode, which turned out not to be (polarisers make viewing screens very difficult) but I did manage just one photo that I didn't realise Id taken just before it got to the boat. Not a bad sized catch and release on 10 lb must admit it took some time for my legs to stop trembling after that.

I would hate to think what might happen if one was to get tangled in a anchor line.

Old 22 May 2017, 23:53   #2

Town: Derby
Make: Bombard Aerotec
Length: no boat
Now that is the one that got away story to end them all.
Old 22 May 2017, 23:55   #3

Town: Salcombe
Boat name: The Black Pig
Make: Ranieri
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60c hp tohatsu
MMSI: 235038018
Send a message via AIM to The Black Pig
I've often wondered in dreamy moments while fishing if this would ever happen to me!
Old 23 May 2017, 00:16   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Pig View Post
I've often wondered in dreamy moments while fishing if this would ever happen to me!
This time of the year the humpbacks migrate north for breeding and having their calfs, each year the number increases with around 30,000 passing us last season. Makes boating a little tricky at times, especially at night.
Old 23 May 2017, 16:15   #5

Town: CA
Make: Zodiac RIB-P
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 250
Your photo isn't loading. We have a group of humpbacks that are now pretty much spending the summer off our coast in California. We had some fantastic close calls with the whales diving under the boat. I keep telling myself that they know were are there and won't hit us (fingers crossed). We are drifting usually so it's pretty much up to them

Jason
Old 23 May 2017, 16:30   #6

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
This time of the year the humpbacks migrate north for breeding and having their calfs, each year the number increases with around 30,000 passing us last season. Makes boating a little tricky at times, especially at night.

It's good to know that the numbers are on the up[emoji106] I hope that's down to a true increase in numbers & not just better observation & recording.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2017, 19:04   #7
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
It's good to know that the numbers are on the up[emoji106] I hope that's down to a true increase in numbers & not just better observation & recording.
Surely 30k whales works no matter which way you look at them?

I was actually thinking about this figure earlier and found myself (as a qualified marine biologist) thinking the odd thought: "How many whales is enough/too many?"
Old 23 May 2017, 19:12   #8

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post

True but, I was trying to determine if the numbers were truly increasing= good
As opposed to the statistics being wrong= not good
The actual figures weren't important, it was the trend I was interested in.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 23 May 2017, 19:38   #9
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:

I was actually thinking about this figure earlier and found myself (as a qualified marine biologist) thinking the odd thought: "How many whales is enough/too many?"

Depends how spread out they are! If that is the global population it's only 1 in every 17000 sq kms of sea... that's about the area of Northern Ireland...
Old 23 May 2017, 20:34   #10
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Depends how spread out they are! If that is the global population it's only 1 in every 17000 sq kms of sea... that's about the area of Northern Ireland...
Statistically, looking at the Universe, there is less than one human per planet...
Old 23 May 2017, 20:37   #11

RIBase
Quote:
Statistically, looking at the Universe, there is less than one human per planet...

But loads of ants[emoji220]
Old 23 May 2017, 21:29   #12

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
Never thought I would go whale watching in Felixstowe Suffolk ,but I did last night ,pity it was a dead one ,and in my opinion I don't think it had died too recently ,I could smell [it as I got out of the car , cant understand why the do gooders need to bring it inland for a burial ,as surly it would be far more sense to tow it out to sea and break it up by some means or other , I pity the poor guys that have got the job of removing it tomorrow I think
Old 23 May 2017, 22:11   #13
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell boy View Post
,as surly it would be far more sense to tow it out to sea and break it up by some means or other , I pity the poor guys that have got the job of removing it tomorrow I think
Breaking up a dead whale is a job for the rendering plant. Novel approaches tend to end badly

Old 23 May 2017, 22:27   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
The whale numbers have been studied since the English first came over here when they almost wiped out the population completely. The 30,000 was for this side (east coast) the west coast of Aus also have humpbacks migrating up the coast this time of the year.

The biggest threat to them now is the rising acidity of the oceans which is damaging the calcium carbonate ( shells of krill etc) which these giants depend on.