Old 01 October 2005, 16:44   #1

Town: Flensburg
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DT75 ?
Some questions on a Searider 4.70M....

Hello-

I`ve just bought Dodl`s Searider 4.70 Deluxe and have some questions:

- Do the Deluxe hulls differ from the SR versions?
- How come that there are so few 4.70m in forums, secondhand marketplaces?
- What`s the best method to fasten seat consoles on the deck?
- What do you guys think would be the best outboard for it? How much hp?
- Does anybody in here have a Deluxe which has not been converted to a SR?
- Does anybody have or know where to get the original back-to-back seats?

Some answers would be great, thanks for reading!
greetings,
Wolfgang
Old 02 October 2005, 21:58   #2

Does really nobody in here know some answers? Or is this a british forum only? I thought this was open to foreigners as well, but obviously I`m wrong......
Anyway: Don`t make yourself uncomfortable anymore, I`ll find the answers elsewhere. You guys can go back now ruling the waves undisturbed by stupid newbies.......
Old 02 October 2005, 22:01   #3

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
A little patience would be a good idea!!!

It has been a nice weekend - a lot of people have prob been out in their boats!!!
Old 02 October 2005, 22:02   #4

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
Hey Ribfreak, chill out! You only posted your questions yesterday! It might take a few days but there are quite a few people here who are knowledgeable about Avon Seariders. Just give them a few days - not everyone is chained to their PC!
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 October 2005, 00:42   #5

Boat name: The Boot
Make: Avon SR5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF70
Ya chill broski from da father land!

I don't have much to contribute with regards to specifics but my Searider has a flooding hull. Might that be different from a deluxe I have no clue. I think the flooding hull was designed for sea rescue, stabilizing the boat at rest and bringing it a bit lower to the water for retrieval.

My 4 meter Searider rib was designed for a 50hp 2 stroke. I think the 4.7 searider was designed for a 70hp and the 5.4 Searider was designed for a 90hp.

Fastening consoles and such: The seariders have preconfigured bolt points in the floor that take 10mm metric bolts as hard points. Another method is drilling a bunch of self tapping screws using plenty of 3m 5200 or Sikaflex (sp?) as waterproof and adhesion.

The hulls might be different too. I'm not sure. I did see some Avon Adventure ribs and the hulls look similar. I'm definitely not an expert.

For rough going conditions a jockey pod type console is prefered over the bench or bucket seat setup.

Attached is a photo of the hull. The hole at the bow is one of the flooding ports. Theres also a big one at the transom.
Ya
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sr_hull.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	14768  
Old 03 October 2005, 07:06   #6

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribfreak
Does really nobody in here know some answers? Or is this a british forum only? I thought this was open to foreigners as well, but obviously I`m wrong......
Anyway: Don`t make yourself uncomfortable anymore, I`ll find the answers elsewhere. You guys can go back now ruling the waves undisturbed by stupid newbies.......
Wow... that's some size chip you've got there, dude... you might want to get it looked at.
Old 03 October 2005, 08:34   #7

Town: Chelmsford/Anglesey
Make: Avon SR/RibLite 3.1m
Engine: Honda 30hp/Yam 8hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribfreak
What do you guys think would be the best outboard for it? How much hp?
Wolfgang,

I have a friend who works in one of the Scottish fisheries boards that operates a 4.7 SR. They have just changed their Honda 50 for a new Yamaha 60 Efi 4-stroke and he tells me the difference is very significant. He always felt the 50 was underpowered but says the fuel injected 60 seems to be ideally suited to the boat. They didn't go the 70hp 2-stroke route because of potential chine-walking problems associated with Seariders and large engines. Having said that Rogue Wave used to own a 4.7SR with a Yamaha 70 2-stroke, but he is a fearless Welsh dragon I understand the extra weight of the 70hp 4-strokes only serves to exacerbate the problem.
Old 03 October 2005, 17:19   #8

Great!!!! Nice answers and very helpfull, thanks-a-lot guys! Somewhere on the web I`ve found a test report that said that a 4.70 fully loaded wiht 4 divers and their gear couldn`t even come up to plane with a 50hp Honda at it`s back..... so I went for a bigger one and got me a DT75 Suzuki this weekend. That`s a heavy bastard and I think you`re right with your fear for chine walking- I once had an AVON Supersport 4.85 with a 75hp Honda, which was way too heavy for that small boat and it walked like hell at WOT!
Anyway, I still have the option to back down on the throttle but I think I shall need the extra hp`s while playing in the surf, that`s why I wanted maximum hp for the boat.
The answer with the diameter of the built-in threads was very interesting because I can still see these holes although Dodl had filled them up with putty- shouldn`t be a big thing to drill out and re-tap them again? I wasn`t sure wether the threads are metric or imperial so I got this one answered as well, great and many thanks again!
As for the seating:
I like the low floor position in the Searider which gives me a lot of protection against wind and sea- at least, when I install the seats low enough as well. I also like the old-fashioned design with a windshield where I can duck behind a little and that`s why I`ll possibly keep it that way. I know that a jockey would give me a much better driving position and therefore better control but I just hate the idea of ripping that boat apart. I`ll probably use supension-seats which are used on tractors and likewise machinery- these are dirt-cheap on ebay and IMHO at least better than a non-suspended seat when you`re sitting closer to the bow!

Before I end I think I have to apologize for my rather harsh words from yesterday- sometimes it might be a good idea for me to re-think some lines before I put them online.......
Old 03 October 2005, 18:32   #9

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Your 75 Suzuki should be fine, albeit above the manufacturer's max rating of 70hp - check with your insurers. A mate of mine had one of the early 4.7 Seariders - centre console version, with a sealed hull. He was a bit of a mad ba***rd and fitted a brand new Yamaha 90 to it. Now that thing was wild! It would leap out of the water onto the plane, then shoot off into the horizon. Although a bit wobbly on WOT, when running at around 3/4 throttle, it was very stable, so the 75 suzook should be ok - same weight on the transom as a 90 Yam.
Old 05 October 2005, 18:07   #10

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
This stuff I know

I think searider 4.7 are the best boat in de wurld.no joking!

They rarely appear on the secondhand market because people only let them go in moments of stupidity ( like I did)

I don't know the difference between the deluxe hull and the SR can you tell me what seating arrangements you have?

Engine only one engine to comsider a three pot two stroke yammie, 70 is ideal 60 is cool and possibly an 80, but a 70 if you can get it. Its a stunning package and I got 37 Knots out of mine with two big ( well heavy) guys on it

as aked before do you have a flooding hull are there two nostrils in the fromt and a big hole at the back

re the Chine walking you can drive through it, It just takes alittle while to feel the wheel as it where ( and thats about four trips so don't be impatient)

camn you paost a picture of what you have ( the boat that is)

I am, typing this from the bridge of the Maersk Asserter a 10,000 tom Class a supply boat and its a bit rough at the moment. I just got knocked out of my chair and on to the floor..by a rogue wave looks like a good sea for a searideer
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 October 2005, 10:09   #11

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave
I think searider 4.7 are the best boat in de wurld.no joking!

They rarely appear on the secondhand market because people only let them go in moments of stupidity ( like I did)

I don't know the difference between the deluxe hull and the SR can you tell me what seating arrangements you have?

Engine only one engine to comsider a three pot two stroke yammie, 70 is ideal 60 is cool and possibly an 80, but a 70 if you can get it. Its a stunning package and I got 37 Knots out of mine with two big ( well heavy) guys on it

as aked before do you have a flooding hull are there two nostrils in the fromt and a big hole at the back

re the Chine walking you can drive through it, It just takes alittle while to feel the wheel as it where ( and thats about four trips so don't be impatient)

camn you paost a picture of what you have ( the boat that is)

I am, typing this from the bridge of the Maersk Asserter a 10,000 tom Class a supply boat and its a bit rough at the moment. I just got knocked out of my chair and on to the floor..by a rogue wave looks like a good sea for a searideer
Rogue ......You is the man !

Have a 60hp 4 stroke Yamie on the back of a 4.7 which gets me 34 knots with two heavy dudes aboard and 55 litres of juice, on a good day, with the wind behind me and no tide running !

2 stroke or 4 stroke ? your choice
Old 09 October 2005, 20:40   #12

Hello Rogue Wave-
thanks for your answers! Like I said: I`ve got me a 75hp Suzuki but right now a buddy wants me to swap it against his 65hp Suzi! They differ about 20kg in weight, might be worth thinking this over? The 75hp weighs 135kg but it also has 300ccm more, so it should develop much more torque which will give me better holeshot though....... hard decision.
The hull of my Deluxe looks very much like the common Searider hull, it has the flooding chamber and also those two nostrils in the bow section. This wekend I`ve re-opened all those threaded inserts and re-cut them. I`ve learned that I also have the matching threads for a jockey-console, not only the ones for those back-to-back bucket seats which were once installed. This leads to my next question:
I know that a jockey will give me much better control than the forward seating position in some regular seats. But if I ever shall convert this boat I want to do it right- the problem here is the covered bow. Has anybody in here any experience in removing this cover? I don`t want to simply cut it away, I also want to remove any glue rests or what else might still stick to the tubes! If I could get this red cover off the boat in a good way I`d go for a jockey, but I don`t want to destroy the clean look of the boat....
I`ve added some pictures, just put the boat on it`s new trailer- it sit`s very high on it due to the enormous "V" this little RIB has.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	searider2kl.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	14844   Click image for larger version

Name:	searider3kl.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	14845