Old 26 January 2009, 13:29   #1

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Solent slipways

cant believe there was 29 posts on slipway thread and nobody posted one, so on that note here's two in the river hamble both with free carparks for car and trailer, 1: warsash, right in front of the rising sun pub, best at low tide, lock your trailer on beach or in big carpark still attached 2: swanwick, down the side of premier marina(moodys) in shore rd, carpark right along side best at low tide, keep close to the markers
Old 26 January 2009, 13:42   #2

Make: extreme 24
Length: 7m +
Engine: merc 6.2 320hp
possibly the 2 worst in the area
Old 26 January 2009, 13:49   #3
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
cant believe there was 29 posts on slipway thread and nobody posted one, so on that note here's two in the river hamble both with free carparks for car and trailer, 1: warsash, right in front of the rising sun pub, best at low tide, lock your trailer on beach or in big carpark still attached 2: swanwick, down the side of premier marina(moodys) in shore rd, carpark right along side best at low tide, keep close to the markers
They're both on boatlaunch already, but might benefit from a bit more detail
Old 26 January 2009, 13:50   #4
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Engine: 300hp plus
And if you use the one at Warsach dont leave trailer on beach if at low tide, as the trailer needs to be up to the path by the sailing club. Very shallow slope if used at high tide so you could end up wading.

A very good slipway is the one at Hamble Point Marina but it costs about 30 pounds! It can be used about every tide level and a good steep ramp so you can lower boat on a rope if you need more depth. At very low springs the bottom of the concrete may just stop so you could wait half an hour.
Old 26 January 2009, 14:05   #5

carl, there the only free slips in the area, instead of knocking post you're ideas, john i'll have a look at boatlaunch and add details
Old 26 January 2009, 14:14   #6

Quote:
carl, there the only free slips in the area, instead of knocking post you're ideas, john i'll have a look at boatlaunch and add details
i wasnt knocking your post i was stating a fact that they are the worst in the area,for anybody that doesnt know them
Old 26 January 2009, 14:31   #7

i still disagree, when i worked for ribtec we launch all manner of stuff from the one at moodys, you've only got to have a quick look to suss it out and launch at low and both are fine, is there anywhere in pompey we can launch and park for nowt?
Old 26 January 2009, 14:37   #8

Quote:
i still disagree, when i worked for ribtec we launch all manner of stuff from the one at moodys, you've only got to have a quick look to suss it out and launch at low and both are fine, is there anywhere in pompey we can launch and park for nowt?
off the top of my head the one just outside port solent,but only at high tide. also you didnt say in your original post that the slips had to be free to use and park,obviously the ones you pay at are better
Old 26 January 2009, 14:57   #9

i didn't say they had to be free, but in this day and age with tight money i started with free ones, i know plenty of people who boat on a shoe string and £30 to launch could make the difference between going or not, and you think that slip at port solent is any better, loads of crap on it, only launch at high tide, 40 yards from the traffic lights on the a27 and block the main exit from port solent to get down it, you would have been better telling me camber docks that at least is only about £10 a day launch and car
Old 26 January 2009, 15:04   #10

camber as you say is not free so why mention it, yes port solent is free and is possibly the worst around and has as much crap on it as the the slip is crap,and i didnt say it was better did i.
Old 26 January 2009, 15:28   #11

not strictly in pompey but the one by fearweather marine in farehame creek is free and you can use a couple of hours either side of high tide or of coarse eastney slip, is that still free
Old 26 January 2009, 16:20   #12

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Quote:
not strictly in pompey but the one by fearweather marine in farehame creek is free and you can use a couple of hours either side of high tide or of coarse eastney slip, is that still free
So where do you park the car and trailer without paying? If you're lucky there is some on road parking, that fills up rather quickly however.

Daedalus Slipway is free however being open water can be tricky to launch and recover without many trained bodys. There are many Jet Skiers that use the slip at weekend and can get very busy.

There are four other "free" slips at Lee on Solent and Gosport one along the coast by the sailing club, there is parking but have to pay for that.

The next is the slip at GAFFIRS (Gilkicker point) but again unless you're a member of the fishing club then you'll have to pay for parking.

The next is Haslar slip (this is my favored one) you'll need a 4X4 to reliably get the trailer up the shingly steep slip and can only use it at 2/3 high tide but is sheltered and normaly quiet. Parking for car and trailer is £5ish all day (24 hrs)

The only other slip in Gosport is the one by the life jacket place and is very narrow and parking is a problem.

Oh just remembered that there is a slip at the Hard in Gosport too. Both this one and the one before are 1/3 high tide slips so pretty limited.

Hope some of this helps.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2009, 16:36   #13

you're bringing back so many memories of boating along meon, lee on solent and gaffers, i did my icc with gaffers donkeys years ago, being born in titchfield 53 years ago i also remember the hovercraft testing at lee, there used to be a bowling alley next to the penny arcade and a lido on the beach, i was still mucking around with an old black zodiac and wooden speedboats when we were nippers back then, i shouldn't have forgot them, thanks for the memories
Old 26 January 2009, 18:09   #14

Town: watford
Boat name: The Bandit &
Make: Hunton Rib
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 8.1 Mercruisers
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS View Post
And if you use the one at Warsach dont leave trailer on beach if at low tide, as the trailer needs to be up to the path by the sailing club. Very shallow slope if used at high tide so you could end up wading.

A
Many years ago on a busy weekend managed to sink a Range Rover.
All adds to the fun.
Old 26 January 2009, 19:57   #15
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
This thread is a great example of why forum threads are not the best way to share this sort of information...

Rather than squabbling over the worst slips why not edit or add data to the boatlaunch database. Its a lot easier than I expected, you don't even need to register. Go to the site or if you are only interested in slipways then JK's new http://rib.net/boatlaunch is definitely an easy way to go.

Then zoom in the map to where your slipway should be (the default setting is to zoom in to where you click so zooming is v. easy). If its missing - add it (this will be rare). Click "Add place" at top left of map, then slipway>Go, then keep clicking the map to zoom in until you get a "marker" - you can click again to move/fine position it. Add the detail and then click upload (and follow very easy instructions) to put a photo on if you have one. And submit it.

If it is already there and you can enhance the listing then click the marker point, then "read more". Then click "Edit place" (at top of map). Then edit details or add a photo. Unless the info is 100% wrong it is obviously better to add more than simply delete what is there. Obviously submit your changes so they are saved.

If you need to have a discussion here on the merits of a particular slipway then you can refer back to it - unfortunately there is only space for one weblink per slip (perhaps this is something Geoff can look at) - but you can include a link in the text fields for cut and paste.
Old 26 January 2009, 21:17   #16
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
If you need to have a discussion here on the merits of a particular slipway then you can refer back to it - unfortunately there is only space for one weblink per slip (perhaps this is something Geoff can look at) - but you can include a link in the text fields for cut and paste.
You can put in clickable links too (it's hidden in the depths of the "Help" page). For instance

Code:
{http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=28155|More information on RIBnet}
Would produce a link to this page with the text "More information on RIBnet".

NB in case it's not clear, this uses curly brackets
Old 26 January 2009, 21:21   #17
Administrator

I've split these posts from the boatlaunch on RIBnet thread
Old 27 January 2009, 07:49   #18

bandit, many years ago i towed a range rover out of the mud at warsash, you didn't get pulled out by a green nissan patrol by anychance?
Old 27 January 2009, 07:57   #19

polwart, i think you will find that through carl and my postings we have both updated slips on the other link, so it is working, after all you wouildn't want to get to the one in swanwick and look for the fuel station that dissappeared 3 years ago
Old 27 January 2009, 08:01   #20

Quote:
bandit, many years ago i towed a range rover out of the mud at warsash, you didn't get pulled out by a green nissan patrol by anychance?
i was there once like you say many years ago and did see a range rover get pulled out,but cant remember by what,as look down the slip on the left hand side about half way up. it got very soft there and the rangie sank up to its axles.