Old 22 March 2014, 08:27   #1

Town: Belper
Boat name: Ey up mi duck
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Solent breeze caravan park

Hi thinking of a family break at Easter including getting the boat out . Quite like warsash and noticed there is a caravan park nearby called Solent breeze it says in the blurb they have launch and moor facilities . Has anyone used it ?
Old 22 March 2014, 08:57   #2

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedonna View Post
Hi thinking of a family break at Easter including getting the boat out . Quite like warsash and noticed there is a caravan park nearby called Solent breeze it says in the blurb they have launch and moor facilities . Has anyone used it ?
Yep. Very exposed and a few boats went missing from there. Not used it for a few years now though.
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2014, 09:06   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jizm View Post
Yep. Very exposed and a few boats went missing from there. Not used it for a few years now though.
Exposed as in for boat launch or the site itself . If site is okay could just stay there but launch and moor from Warsash
Old 22 March 2014, 09:07   #4

Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
RIBase
Quote:
Head for North Wales instead and join the Round Anglesey for Macmillan cruise at Easter weekend. Loads of fellow nobburs taking part and should be a good craic - evening 'do' in Caernarfon on the Saturday!
Old 22 March 2014, 09:39   #5

Quote:
Exposed as in for boat launch or the site itself . If site is okay could just stay there but launch and moor from Warsash
Exposed for boat launch is what I meant.
Old 22 March 2014, 09:54   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrowboy View Post
Head for North Wales instead and join the Round Anglesey for Macmillan cruise at Easter weekend. Loads of fellow nobburs taking part and should be a good craic - evening 'do' in Caernarfon on the Saturday!
If it was just me and donna I would be tempted but we are bringing sponging freeloading student daughters . We did our first communal run on the Isle of Wight nacho which we really enjoyed but I only have a two seater 4.8 and I am not sure the girls would fancy hanging on to the tubes for that distance !!!
Old 22 March 2014, 09:56   #7

Quote:
Exposed for boat launch is what I meant.
Thanks for that good heads up . It looks walkable from site to warsash if we tie up there . Or short drive
Old 22 March 2014, 10:20   #8

Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
RIBase
Quote:
If it was just me and donna I would be tempted but we are bringing sponging freeloading student daughters . We did our first communal run on the Isle of Wight nacho which we really enjoyed but I only have a two seater 4.8 and I am not sure the girls would fancy hanging on to the tubes for that distance !!!
No worries. I won't labour the point but not everyone will be going round, including us possibly, due to the Leader of the Opposition being on board, so a good number will just do the run from Caernarfon to Conway, fish & chips on the quayside and back to Caernarfon.

My sponging, freeloading ex-student kids are all well past uni days and nothing changes, I can assure you...

That's what dads are for, apparently.
Old 22 March 2014, 10:41   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrowboy View Post
No worries. I won't labour the point but not everyone will be going round, including us possibly, due to the Leader of the Opposition being on board, so a good number will just do the run from Caernarfon to Conway, fish & chips on the quayside and back to Caernarfon. My sponging, freeloading ex-student kids are all well past uni days and nothing changes, I can assure you... That's what dads are for, apparently.
I thought it would get easier when they didn't need booster seats and could do their own seat belts up .. What little I knew .
What are folks doing for digs and are most staying the whole weekend ?
Old 22 March 2014, 12:00   #10

Town: Bransgore, Christchurch
Boat name: Clementine
Make: Ribtec 535
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2x Mariner 40 (6E9)
MMSI: Handheld no DSC
RIBase
Used to live a couple of miles inland but not been down where for ages so my info maybe out of date.
I think the road from Hook village has been Tarmac surfaced now (it used to be a gravel road, slow progress and very bumpy in places not ideal for towing backwards and forwards to Warsash). Might be worth asking the site about the road condition & mooring facilities. It is exposed for launching, & pretty sure the slip is tidal. The moorings used to be tidal swinging moorings and would require you to swim out or use a tender at high tide or walk wade out to boat at lower tides.
Old 22 March 2014, 12:26   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swain Marine View Post
Used to live a couple of miles inland but not been down where for ages so my info maybe out of date. I think the road from Hook village has been Tarmac surfaced now (it used to be a gravel road, slow progress and very bumpy in places not ideal for towing backwards and forwards to Warsash). Might be worth asking the site about the road condition & mooring facilities. It is exposed for launching, & pretty sure the slip is tidal. The moorings used to be tidal swinging moorings and would require you to swim out or use a tender at high tide or walk wade out to boat at lower tides.
Thanks for info . I think with yours and jizm,s comments if we use the site for the weekend we won't bother launching from there. Launching and mooring at warsash is reasonable so might leave boat there which will mean that the road surface won't matter too much
Old 22 March 2014, 16:51   #12

Are you looking at renting a caravan?
Old 22 March 2014, 17:29   #13

Quote:
Are you looking at renting a caravan?
yes for the Easter weekend . We are pretty new to boating and when we launched from Warsash we found it easy and the harbour staff were really friendly , so that's the only reason we have looked at Solent breeze .
Old 25 March 2014, 15:20   #14

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Warshot
Make: Scorpion
Engine: 150 Optimax
Hi Steve,

There is also a static home / caravan park in Hamble.

Riverside Holidays, Hamble - Lodges / Camping / Touring - Hampshire

It's right next to Mercury Marina.There is also a slip at Mercury and always space to moor your rib. Some of my friends have camped there and it seems ok. Other friends have rented static homes there for a few days. I don't how much they are but the location is spot on.

Just a thought......
Old 25 March 2014, 18:05   #15

Town: Fareham
There's another Caravan Park at Lee on the Solent. There are numerous launch points along the coast directly in to the Solent or Haslar Marina slip which whilst tidal is an easy slip to use as it's very sheltered. It's worth mentioning that the slip is tidal 4hrs before and 3 hrs after HT if waterborne and outside of this you can use the marina (fees apply)

Home | Kingfisher Caravan Park

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2014, 18:20   #16

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Quote:
I thought it would get easier when they didn't need booster seats and could do their own seat belts up .. What little I knew .
What are folks doing for digs and are most staying the whole weekend ?
if you don't fancy Menai at Easter there's plenty of other w'ends, give us a shout if you want a blast, plenty to see n do
Old 25 March 2014, 20:59   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambleite View Post
Hi Steve, There is also a static home / caravan park in Hamble. Riverside Holidays, Hamble - Lodges / Camping / Touring - Hampshire It's right next to Mercury Marina.There is also a slip at Mercury and always space to moor your rib. Some of my friends have camped there and it seems ok. Other friends have rented static homes there for a few days. I don't how much they are but the location is spot on. Just a thought......
Looked at the site but I thought the slipway was launch only not over night mooring .
Old 25 March 2014, 21:04   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
There's another Caravan Park at Lee on the Solent. There are numerous launch points along the coast directly in to the Solent or Haslar Marina slip which whilst tidal is an easy slip to use as it's very sheltered. It's worth mentioning that the slip is tidal 4hrs before and 3 hrs after HT if waterborne and outside of this you can use the marina (fees apply) Home | Kingfisher Caravan Park
Thanks for info . It looks like they encourage 7 night stay only only 3 night last minute if they can't get seven . Might take a look when we go down for future reference
Old 25 March 2014, 22:26   #19

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
Quote:
Looked at the site but I thought the slipway was launch only not over night mooring .
Slipway belongs to Mercury Yacht Haven, they have full facillities including mooring for a couple of hundred boats. Its not the cheapest place in the world,but a great marina and the slip is usable at most states of tide.
Old 26 March 2014, 06:33   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Caton View Post
if you don't fancy Menai at Easter there's plenty of other w'ends, give us a shout if you want a blast, plenty to see n do
Sorry mate missed your reply . Menai is where we did our PB2 course and is the same travelling time as the Solent , so we are keen to give it a weekend this spring /summer .