Old 10 July 2015, 07:26   #1

Length: 4m +
Solent

I wanted to get myself in the solent over the next week or so, does anyone know the best places to trailer launch in the Portsmouth or Southampton area?

Thanks.
Old 10 July 2015, 08:08   #2

Town: Southampton/Poole
Boat name: Black Racketeer
Make: White Shark & Avon
Length: 6m +
Engine: Verado 150
What size boat have you got? I have used the slip by swac a couple of time good slip, no go at low tide though and limited trailer parking, if it's a smaller rib then swanick by the marina there is a gravel slip, again limited parking!
Old 10 July 2015, 08:18   #3

I've got a 5m Sib with a 40. I'll be travelling with kids and the wife and would like to make the day fun and straightforward, so parking would be useful. I've done a lot of sailing in and out of Portsmouth, so was hoping someone had experience from there. I live in London/Essex so don't know the other surrounding areas.

Thanks.
Old 10 July 2015, 08:37   #4

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Would be very interested in this too.

I know many RIBnetters use this area but a beginners guide to where to launch, visit, points of interest, things to be wary of, do's/dont's etc would be welcome.

I only really know the Sussex coast (Dover - Brighton) and would be in the old Aerotec with 15 hp so need to bear in mind it's not a 150HP 6.5m RIB...

Any 3-4m SIBbers use this area?
Old 10 July 2015, 14:49   #5

Launching portsmouth/southampton

You could launch swanwick or Warsash nect to the harbour master. Goood easy launching at most tide states but better parking at warsash. You can leave your trailer stood end up next to the slip on the sea wall.
Old 10 July 2015, 20:58   #6

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: Hullabaloo
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
RIBase
Hi,

The "next week or so" is a bit vague.

The Camber slip in Portsmouth is an ideal location. Very good concrete slipway (which is cleaned every month) and just £2.50 to launch. However, avoid it until the end of July.

After the ACWS event on the 23-27 July. There will be public parking and a trailer park. Before then may be a bit iffy!

So I guess it depends on when you want to go.

Regards

Steve
Old 10 July 2015, 21:04   #7

Thanks Steve.
Wanted to get out several times over the summers weeks both in July and later but thanks for the heads up on that event.

That's very cheap launching and if there is parking think I shall give that a go in August.

Cheers
Old 10 July 2015, 21:05   #8

Town: Nuneaton
Boat name: ribbit
Make: ring
Engine: opti 150
I like Warsash, you can get a pint cough or coffee too
Old 10 July 2015, 22:31   #9

Town: Thame
Boat name: Free-Flow
Make: Shearwater 6.8
Engine: Suzuki 175
+1 for Warsash at least until Camber is on line again.
Old 11 July 2015, 08:03   #10

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
There's a good concrete slip at Mercury Marina on the Hamble. There is a charge to use it.
Big car park and a pub on site.
Obviously moorings - if you are making a weekend of it and don't want to haul out each day.
Campsite adjacent (they also have log cabins).
Old 11 July 2015, 08:12   #11

Thanks for that, might also give them a go. Most places seem to have a slip that launches 2 hours either side of low tide.

First trip of the season tomorrow hopefully and taking the kids too. Might take a trip to bradwell in Essex as launch times are fully flexible and there is some calm water so the kids can get acclimatised to it (they are still quite young). Next trip the solent though
Old 11 July 2015, 08:48   #12
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
Would be very interested in this too.

I know many RIBnetters use this area but a beginners guide to where to launch, visit, points of interest, things to be wary of, do's/dont's etc would be welcome.

I only really know the Sussex coast (Dover - Brighton) and would be in the old Aerotec with 15 hp so need to bear in mind it's not a 150HP 6.5m RIB...

Any 3-4m SIBbers use this area?
There is a thread in the features section by the Jakeens (that should bring back memories for the old timers!). The images don't seem to work anymore but the content is still there.

There is also this site by a member on here http://www.solentribster.com/
Old 11 July 2015, 08:55   #13

Boat name: 'Mojo'
Make: Searider
I used Warsash a lot....

Free parking(although height restricted) 1.90m and wil get busy in peak times. Don't use the car park directly outside the Harbour Master as its limited to 4hrs use in peak times. Lots of trailer parking here, as they encourage you to use the grass verge when busy.

About £6 to launch a 6m- pay at harbour master.

There is also a Co-op just up the road that has a free car park. Although you can't park your trailer there.

I personally wouldn't launch anything bigger than 6m without crew or a long (25m) rope. The slip is very shallow at the top so anything +/- 2hrs HW will need you wading in knee deep water for 20m.!!

+/- 2hr LW is best to launch and recover.

Caution when launching anything on to The Hamble- the currents can be quite strong. Your ok with slack water but after that it can get a bit tricky for anyone with limited experience.

The fisherman(who have rights to use the pontoon) are grumpy......but stay out of their way and keep your kids under control and they'll ignore you.

Cleats(due to 'said' fishermen removing them.!) are limited and the pontoon has sharp edges(fenders ready!)

There's a nice 6knt speed limited out of the river to warm your engine and I find Southampton Water a nice sheltered placed to test everything before going out to open seas.(keep just outside the main shipping channel, plenty of water and unrestricted right up the the River Itchen)

Hamble point(dead opposite Warsash- as the crow flies) has really nice facilities, but you'll pay £30 for the privilege.

Camber will be the place to launch once they've sorted the parking.
Old 11 July 2015, 09:03   #14

Wibs, that was really useful, thanks.

I'm new to ribbing and lauching from a trailer and have watched several you tube vids of people doing it so I can improve myself. You mention that you use a 25 line, can you explain how you use this for the launch? (You sound like you've done it several times!).

Many thanks
Old 11 July 2015, 09:16   #15

At HW the water will be right up to the top of the slip.(there is also a shingle 'bar' and loads of seaweed at the top, so you'll need to keep off that in your car)

It's a shallow slip at the top and gradually slopes down for the first 20m, after that it tends to fall away a bit quicker.

On recovery..you'll need to moor up on the pontoon and go sort your car/trailer. Leave your car at the top(off of the shingle bar) and then walk your trailer down the slip to a point that your happy with. Mines usually as the rear rollers are submerged.

You'll find at this point your car/hitch is approx 25m away.!! So tie rope on to trailer and then around tow bar. Go get your boat from pontoon and recover it onto trailer.

At this point, you'll need to drive forward up a one way street approx 25m to get boat out of the water whilst it's attached to the trailer.

CAUTION...there is a public (and busy) footpath at the top of the slip and you will get some people try and step over your rope as you drive up the one way street. I have someone stopping them doing this as I don't fancy being sued if it went tits up.!

I also chock the wheels as well as apply trailer brake before releasing the tension on the rope.
Old 11 July 2015, 09:27   #16

A lot of the YouTube videos on boat recovery look very professional-and with a little practise more than achievable, but for your first few goes don't be afraid to improvise.

My first few goes -I would drive the boat up to the trailer, stop a boats length short, turn off engine, then jump in.

I found I was fully submerging the trailer and standing in waist deep water(I'm over 6ft 7"- so waist deep is pretty deep for me.!)for the first few goes to get in on right.

These videos of people, driving on and hitching up without putting a foot in the water are done by people with a lot of experience and good boat handling skills.

When the winds blowing, the tides flowing and you've got a dozen people sat outside the pub watching you- it gets a little tricky.!!
Old 11 July 2015, 12:09   #17

Oh I see, so you use the line as an extension to pull the trailer out the water, saves getting the car too wet, great idea.

Well bradwell has an excellent slip with loads of easy access (and no pub goers watching ).

Thanks.
Old 11 July 2015, 12:15   #18

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
There is a thread in the features section by the Jakeens (that should bring back memories for the old timers!). The images don't seem to work anymore but the content is still there.

There is also this site by a member on here SolentRIBster index - RIB, RIBs, Rigid Inflatable Boat, Rigid Inflatable Boats
Cheers Poly, will have a look at that.
Old 11 July 2015, 13:36   #19

Town: Fareham
If you want to launch in Portsmouth Harbour then I can't recommend Haslar Marina slip enough. It's a compacted shingle slipway which you can access 4hrs before and 3hrs after HT. Parking aplenty at top of slip. Pay and display £10 for car and trailer all day 24hrs

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2015, 13:45   #20

Town: Fareham
A little map that might help you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Haslar Map.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	148.9 KB