Old 25 June 2008, 12:58   #11

Town: Lexington Park, MD.
Make: Apex A17
Length: 5m +
Engine: 70HP Evinrude
I'll take a closer look at the transom as well now. LAST thing I want is be puttering about and have the engine fall off the back!!!

I'll check it with a small hammer and see what kind of sound I get, thanks for the tip. I also found some small cracks in the gelcoat yesterday. I'm beginning to think this is going to be a major overhaul. In any case it looks like the "school of hard knocks" is about to come into session.

Old 01 July 2008, 11:58   #12

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnut View Post
I'll take a closer look at the transom as well now. LAST thing I want is be puttering about and have the engine fall off the back!!!
My friends were new boaters, and they mentioned that the motor seemed to move a lot relative to the hull. Being a Honda 115, I knew it was heavy, and given that report, started to watch pretty carefully. What I saw was pretty scary. They didn't want to believe that anything was wrong (new toy); the ivestigative report from the repair shop kind of surprised them.

Quote:
I'm beginning to think this is going to be a major overhaul. In any case it looks like the "school of hard knocks" is about to come into session.
Hope not. But, better to get it taken care of on land than find out about it on the water.

Luck;

jky

Old 04 July 2008, 15:14   #13

Town: Lexington Park, MD.
Make: Apex A17
Length: 5m +
Engine: 70HP Evinrude
Seems that Stoo was correct about the soft spot being in my head. Guess with a new to me, used boat, I was simply paranoid.

I had a local boat yard take a look at the RIB. They said the flex I noticed is right in the middle of the span between supports and is perfectly normal.

They gave a quick once over for the boat and pronounced the transom perfectly sound, the the hull in need of some minor gel coat repairs, and a good coat of wax.

Took a bit over an hour including chatting and they didn't even charge me for the inspection.