Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 16 August 2007, 08:21   #1

Town: Mayfair, London
Make: RibEye/Ferretti 881
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha 25/Twin MTU
So what's so good about a Scorpion?

Why are they so well thought of, and what makes them stand out from all the other excellent RIB makes out there?

Their owners seem to love them, and others often aspire to owning them.

Is it the build quality of the hull? Is the tubes, or is the way it's all put together? Perhaps it's the sea handling qualities of the hull which sends people into raptures, nauseatingly referring to them as "Scorps"

Do they really deserve the accolades so readily dished out on these forums?
Old 16 August 2007, 08:26   #2

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Having looked at them to buy and I would say yes to all of that!
Very well put together!
You not thinking of up grading your rib are you?
Old 16 August 2007, 08:40   #3

Town: New Forest
Boat name: Charlie Brown
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 275 Verado
MMSI: 235069179
Send a message via MSN to Zippy
that is the same question i asked a few weeks ago.

for me it comes down to personal preferance. i am sure there are other ribs on the market that are at least as good if not better but in my view, for the money they offer the best package of build quality (which is fantastic) customer support (which so far has been fantastic even though i bought mine second hand and its 2004 boat) Ride, performance, looks and residual values.

I have wanted one since i was a kid because i thought they looked the nicest. i still stand by that but its a personal thing.

I guess its like, why do so many people rave about the qualities of a particular type of car when others thing its rubbish!
Old 16 August 2007, 08:52   #4

Town: scotland
Boat name: Leviathan
Make: Phantom
Engine: GM Diesels
Well, as a few of you know, I think ribs are silly. but...the Scorpions really are a nice bit of kit, from so many different stand points.
The hull design is perfect for what you lot 'like to think' you do so much of, the build quality, and attention to detail is bloody marvelous, and, other than the very first boats, they're not a splash.

First class product I reckon.

They get my vote.

And before all you work boat obsessed ribnobbas start, i'm talking about it's suitability as a fast, nicely made, decent looking and capable pleasure boat, not some fugly old dog of a thing for plodding round the west coast of Ireland in a force 11 towing a barge, coz that really is summat you lot only dream about. (for reasons that leave me completely bewildered, especially as most of you tough ribbers, still don't go out in the rough, even though you like to think it's 'your bag')
Old 16 August 2007, 09:11   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Fuller View Post
And before all you work boat obsessed ribnobbas start, i'm talking about it's suitability as a fast, nicely made, decent looking and capable pleasure boat, not some fugly old dog of a thing for plodding round the west coat of Ireland in a force 11 towing a barge, coz that really is summat you lot only dream about. (for reasons that leave me completely bewildered, especially as most of you tough ribbers, still don't go out in the rough, even though you like to think it's 'your bag')

Is it just me or is it the fishing season?
Old 16 August 2007, 09:18   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne View Post

Is it just me or is it the fishing season?

Not at all!

For once, my post/comments are deadly serious. I think they're a very nice boat.
Old 16 August 2007, 09:22   #7

Quote:
Not at all!

For once, my post/comments are deadly serious. I think they're a very nice boat.
It was this bit I was referring to!
"And before all you work boat obsessed ribnobbas start, i'm talking about it's suitability as a fast, nicely made, decent looking and capable pleasure boat, not some fugly old dog of a thing for plodding round the west coast of Ireland in a force 11 towing a barge, coz that really is summat you lot only dream about. (for reasons that leave me completely bewildered, especially as most of you tough ribbers, still don't go out in the rough, even though you like to think it's 'your bag')"
Old 16 August 2007, 09:23   #8

Oh that bit....well, you are a bloody odd lot.
Old 16 August 2007, 09:58   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne View Post
Having looked at them to buy and I would say yes to all of that!
Very well put together!
You not thinking of up grading your rib are you?
No, I'm not changing my RIB, when I do, I'll probably replace it with the same make.

But it's the adoration of Scorpions that intrigue me. They certainly seem like very quality, good looking RIBs to me, but to my mind are not overly special compared to all the other excellent RIBS on the market.
Old 16 August 2007, 09:58   #10

Town: Guernsey
Boat name: Monkey Nutz
Make: Cougar R8 Sport
Engine: 350Sci Verado
Quote:
Originally Posted by timw View Post
Why are they so well thought of, and what makes them stand out from all the other excellent RIB makes out there?

Their owners seem to love them, and others often aspire to owning them.

Is it the build quality of the hull? Is the tubes, or is the way it's all put together? Perhaps it's the sea handling qualities of the hull which sends people into raptures, nauseatingly referring to them as "Scorps"

Do they really deserve the accolades so readily dished out on these forums?
Well as you say its all of those qualities..and more.
After spending over 12 months testing a Ballistic 7.8, a Ribeye 785, a Prosport 8.0m, I came across mine through a friend of a friend. It was way more than i could or would spend, but after one look and just one sea trial i was reaching for my cheque book... A sea trial in force 5-6 5 on board, and simply a comfortable dry ride.
Spend a bit of time examining the build quality and it is faultless.
For me its the one..
Come over and see/try it would be my pleasure.
Tony
Old 16 August 2007, 10:01   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
Well as you say its all of those qualities..and more.
After spending over 12 months testing a Ballistic 7.8, a Ribeye 785, a Prosport 8.0m, I came across mine through a friend of a friend. It was way more than i could or would spend, but after one look and just one sea trial i was reaching for my cheque book... A sea trial in force 5-6 5 on board, and simply a comfortable dry ride.
Spend a bit of time examining the build quality and it is faultless.
For me its the one..
Come over and see/try it would be my pleasure.
Tony
That's very kind of you...I somtimes pass through Guernsey on the Condor Vitesse...perhaps next time I'll hop off and take you up on your offer!
Old 16 August 2007, 10:57   #12

Town: Newcastle upon Tyne
Boat name: Happy Hours
Make: Scorpion
Engine: 300 Verado
MMSI: 235040122
Its a hard call and as has been said before just look at the car market, however I would say that earlier this summer I was asked to attend a Barrus Weekend which was showing various ribs with Verado applications. I was there for Scorpion and because there were no customers spent a lot of time digging around in other people boats. It was clear by doing this just how well built and finished Scorpions are when looked at alongside their counterparts. I also think the fact that the Scorpion staff are also users of the product means that the development side of the product is probably pretty strong, that alogside the enthusiastic owners who attain records and work the product hard. There will also be a level of 'brand snobbery' I am sure as there is with most things that are so personal.

But to sum up they are great boats that look good, go well and have a quality finish. Whether they are worth the hype and the forum talk then who knows but there are not many disgruntled customers out there.
Old 16 August 2007, 11:28   #13

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Revenger for me. Nothing against Scorpion's boats but the way they treated me at Ribex still rankles......

Having said that I am more than pleased with my boat and wouldn't change it for anything costing under about £100,000. Scorpions aren't the only ones that offer a smooth dry ride in rough conditions. In fact a few of the Scandinavian searafting people much prefer the Revenger in all aspects.

Parker Ribs also look very nice - I am quite sure Nautiboy wouldn't swop his for a Scorpion............
Old 16 August 2007, 11:29   #14

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
And before all you work boat obsessed ribnobbas start, i'm talking about it's suitability as a fast, nicely made, decent looking and capable pleasure boat, not some fugly old dog of a thing for plodding round the west coast of Ireland in a force 11 towing a barge, coz that really is summat you lot only dream about. (for reasons that leave me completely bewildered, especially as most of you tough ribbers, still don't go out in the rough, even though you like to think it's 'your bag')

A bit like owning a 4x4 in Chelsea dahling, one just has to have the go anywhere capability in case it snows... or a sudden Force 14 springs up

(Stone thrown from inside the glass house, because I prefer it not too rough...)

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2007, 11:31   #15

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Assuming that the question is genuine rather than of the more trollish nature.....

For me it's a combination of:
  • Outstanding hull design that really works well in most sea states
  • Second to none build quality compared to many other RIB brands with a level of finish and attention to detail that is rarely found elsewhere.
  • Styling that just looks right. (With the possible exception of that funny pseudo-cabin rib they do!)

There's also probably a snob value to Scorp ownership although my foray into it was definately at the lower end (Hull No 7, Blue Ice, now proudly owned by Richard & Louise). The resale value that even older Scorpions can attract is testament to their reputation. I've also never had any dealings with Mr Jelly directly so can't comment on his customer service skills & certainly was never a member of the Scorpion 'club' in the way that new boat owners are.

Oh yes and Mr F, I'd probably rather be in rough seas in a Scorpion than the more 'bowie knife' styled RIBS. And unlike certain P28's they have been known to leave the solent.
Old 16 August 2007, 13:09   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Assuming that the question is genuine rather than of the more trollish nature.....
...as if
Old 16 August 2007, 13:11   #17

What do you guys make of Pascoe sports rib?
Old 16 August 2007, 13:15   #18

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Blitter View Post
What do you guys make of Pascoe sports rib?
As someone who knows the Pascoe family and the boats (Mark is no longer with the company as far as I know), and a manufacturer I think highly of their boats. Fantastic attention to detail, and some innovative designs with their larger boats especially. Justifiably used on some of the best superyachts as tenders!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2007, 14:22   #19

Town: Guernsey
Boat name: Monkey Nutz
Make: Cougar R8 Sport
Engine: 350Sci Verado
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Revenger for me. Nothing against Scorpion's boats but the way they treated me at Ribex still rankles......

Having said that I am more than pleased with my boat and wouldn't change it for anything costing under about £100,000. Scorpions aren't the only ones that offer a smooth dry ride in rough conditions. In fact a few of the Scandinavian searafting people much prefer the Revenger in all aspects.

Parker Ribs also look very nice - I am quite sure Nautiboy wouldn't swop his for a Scorpion............
Old 16 August 2007, 15:07   #20

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
decent looking and capable pleasure boat, not some ly old dog of a thing for plodding round the west coast of Ireland in a force 11 towing a barge, coz that really is summat you lot only dream about. (for reasons that leave me completely bewildered, especially as most of you tough ribbers, still don't go out in the rough, even though you like to think it's 'your bag')
D'ya you think if I work hard and eat all my veggies someone would let me do that one day. I understand you can even get paid for it!

Back to Scorps

In a word it's Craftsmanship

I have owned a Scorpion and it was absolutely superb. she was a 6.5 with a 150 opti and was always a favourite with our clients. Very fast and nimble and made for the waves.

I'd certainly have another one when I can afford it.

One of the good things about Scorpion is they are built one at a time , unless it's changed in the last year, theres only room for two or three boats and i believed they even get toobed in house. That method really allows for the fitout to be very strictly controlled, and as they only use the best quality components the end result is very special! There stainless steel is buy a company called fusion and really is elegant and the craftsmanship is obvious

At the end of the day you pays your money and you takes your choice! Important thing is to get out there and enjoy it!

Theres also a few other guys out there doing it right as well. Cookee and Kitten, Pascoes, Revengers and my favourit looking RIB the Phantom Evolution
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote