Old 25 September 2003, 09:24   #1
DGR

Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
So, size DOES matter, but what about experience?

I've been looking around RIBnet for a while on the basis that I'm planning to get a RIB - and between you all, you have already pretty much answered all the technical questions that I had about RIBbing in general!! I now know what I would like in an 'ideal world' (Scorpion 8.5 sounds GREAT!!) but I'm just wondering - how important it is to gain practical experience in a small boat before going on to bigger ones?? Does it really matter, or is it a 'must'?

Both Nicky (the Mrs) and I have done PB1&2 at Plas Menai, and whilst the little orange dories were fun, the 5.6m (?) Tornado was a complete and utter blast - and the bug has bitten!! I'm also planning to do the Advanced PB - although building up the recommended hours without a boat (including night hours) is a bit of a challenge!!

Any views?!?

Dylan...
Old 25 September 2003, 09:29   #2

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Personally, I don't think there is a whole lot of difference helming a 6.5 and an 8.5. Go for the bigger of the two. I speak from experience, just after you have purchased a smaller rib, your grandmother, father, cousins etc, etc all want to jump on. You also soon run out of space, plus the fact that in larger seas a bigger rib will provide more comfort - that said, there are a good many 6meterish ribs out there that cope remarkebly well in testing conditions.
Old 25 September 2003, 09:54   #3

Town: Poole
Length: no boat
Dylan

If you have the basic common sense to drive a boat then you will be fine in a 5.5 or a 10m cabin boat. You will take your knowledge from courses and experience and learn with each boat that you drive.

In most cases, imo, a 8.5 is easier to drive than a 6.5 because length has a great effect on the ride.

Regards

Mark
Old 25 September 2003, 10:12   #4
DGR

Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
Thanks guys!!

8.25m Scorpion it is then (in my WILDEST dreams). Must speak to the wife about remortgaging the house.........

Dylan...
Old 25 September 2003, 10:24   #5

Town: Mayfair, London
Make: RibEye/Ferretti 881
Engine: Yamaha 25/Twin MTU
I'm new to ribbing as well and bought the longest rib i could afford.
The only slight difficulty I have found with a long rib is that it tends to swing around lot in slow manouvering especially in the marinas, and it doesn't respond that well in slow reversing situations.
Old 26 September 2003, 19:49   #6

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
go for something that you and the other half can manage without a trauma if you are trailering it.-- looking at where you live anything ove 5.5m will be a handfull on Knott End slip with a 4 knot tide under it or a bit of wind, and would be ridiculous at Stanah. Beach launching over soft sand and shingle is a non starter around here with anything over that size and even then you need a b****y god tractor. Big boats are great on easy slips and hard beaches-we dont have them around here As for a marina Fleetwood is fine BUT you only get a couple of hours either side of high water at best, down to 1 hr on neaps at teatime. Thats why my boats live on trailers.
Old 26 September 2003, 20:15   #7

Town: Milford Haven
Boat name: Various
Make: Commercial
Length: 10m +
Engine: Screw / Voith / Jets
Send a message via MSN to Alex Brown
Even my 6m rib doesn't reverse in a straight line, but I guess that's something to do with the deep-vee hull..... it's also a nightmare to tow too

What I have found in 'sticky' situations, like when turning in the lock pits, unless some great power is applied, it's useless trying to do a 3 point turn cos it just doesn't work since the lock on the main engine is very limited compared to smaller engines. In this case, I can turn the boat on a sixpence by using the aux engine and going on a full 90 degree lock, and then everyone watches and wonders what the hell's going on

As for launching, I'm glad to not have gone for anything larger than 6m, since this is about at my limits for single handed launching - last weekend, I nearly lost the thing as the wind caught the boat with me trying to hold on for dear life.
On the tractor note, doesn't the JCB fastrack do something like 50mph? - that'd make an easy launch and recover on any beach, and still not breaking the legal towing limit on normal roads

If you do decide to tow however, remembering back to previous threads, isn't the max length somewhere around 7 metres for the tow?

I like the trailer side, cos storage in a boatyard is *much* cheaper than a marina, plus then you don't have to antifoul

-Alex
Old 26 September 2003, 21:17   #8

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
"On the tractor note, doesn't the JCB fastrack do something like 50mph? - that'd make an easy launch and recover on any beachOn the tractor note, doesn't the JCB fastrack do something like 50mph? - that'd make an easy launch and recover on any beach"
and if you were going fishing you could use the bucket to dig bait
Old 26 September 2003, 21:20   #9

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Uh, what are all these reversing problems? OK - RIBs just don't reverse in a straight line as that's not what they are designed for, but get to know the limitations of the boat and you should be able to position it with pinpoint accuracy whan going astern. Remember that the pivot point changes completely in reverse - about half a metre from the transom. But the big advantage is that in a high wind, you can reverse into the wind much more easily than putting the bow into wind which would blow you all over.

Anyway - saw the worst reversing technique ever whilst on holiday recently. Chap puts boat into reverse at tickover, then wanders to stern of boat to fend off with an oar as he crunches into the boats moored on the opposite pontoon. Eventually arrives at harbour entrance via several other boats (including scraping along side of local lifeboat).
Old 26 September 2003, 21:45   #10

Town: London
Make: Humber Ocean Extreme
Length: 8m
Engine: Optimax 225
remember, at least with a RIB you have an all round fender;

the size of the cock up is equal to the number of spectators