Old 18 September 2004, 04:05   #41

Town: Poole
Length: no boat
Manos

For a Greek you have a fine taste in wine. Gloudy Bay is one of my favourite wines.
Mark
Old 18 September 2004, 04:12   #42

Town: Poole
Quote:
Originally Posted by willowkis
Alan,

............, but be prepared to be thrown overboard by two irate owners...

Kim
I heard they were hard to handle on the water but didn't realise they threw unsuspecting crew out!!
Old 18 September 2004, 06:08   #43

Town: Bristol
Make: none
FWIW The Rib-X I saw at Southampton appeared to have been better finished than a 620 Avon I saw which had tubes that left something to be desired

Martin
mstacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2004, 06:10   #44

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazza
Make that three........ If Alans dad was a Red Indian he would have been named "talking Bollocks"

..... and probably this is the reason that he's got 3 green blobs.

But fair is fair and have to say that the SCORPION is a very different (much better in every respect) boat than any of the FALCONs (very objectively).
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2004, 06:34   #45

Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Mark drinking wine is my favorite occupation

Hey hang on a minute ............. what you mean for aGreek I have a nice taste in wine??
Old 18 September 2004, 08:23   #46

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Have to say i have now been on two rib-x ribs for teaching purposes, the 4.70
and the 640 both the boats have impressed me the little one with 4 on board 2 adults 2 kids and a 50 hp still achieved 20 knots SOG on average and handled the sea conditions really well force 4/5 came onto the plane real quick turned on a sixpence finish was good the same goes for the bigger one, have aslo been on an avon of similar sizes and pound for pound i would go for the rib-x rib just waiting to get a go on the 7 metre rib that received the bad press report then i will let you know what i think of that.
regards Tim
www.griffmarineservices.co.uk
Old 18 September 2004, 08:37   #47

Tim all the above are quite correct in the flat but you try to go on a long trip in force 5 with 50-80cm waves and see what happens

Due to the deep hull forard and shallow V in the middle and with the adverse chine (you know all that so I will not go on and on) they plain very quickly and you can get high speeds with small engines. The 640 SRs are also very stable when you have the weather on your side and also when you have the weather from behind HOWEVER not that great (they bang a lot and they lift the bow quite high even at 10 knots and also the wind lifts the hull up since the boats are very light) if you try them in force 4-5 and above.

The turning you mentioning well, let me have my doubts. As we found out when you try a tight turn the 640SR in high speeds (say 20 knots +) due to the flat bottom the boat slides quite a lot (like a hoverctaft) and you need to correct it with the steering. The 700SR on the other hand is like a go cart. The 700SR is a very different boat altogether. If you see one of the videos I have posted with the 640SR boats you may be alble to see that effect as I am trying to correct continuasly the steering on tight corners.

Since we are going again out tomorrow with a potential clinet who wants to buy one of the 640SR boats (have explained to him all that but he wants the boat to potter about and to go fishing which is fine) and it blows force 5 I will also take a video and post a few clips to demonstrate exactly what I mean so there will be not doubt, buts or ifs and people can actaully see.