Old 31 March 2014, 15:44   #31

Town: Belper
Boat name: Ey up mi duck
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
Walking the hills are as far from boating as you could get old mate, the sea tends to level the playing field, it doesn't care if you're fit or not, you don't have to have a great deal of fitness to get to France, you will ache for sure, the biggest downfall is going unprepared, not so much you as the boat, get the boat sorted and you can get there with one leg, I know what you mean about own company but believe me don't do the channel on you're own unless you have to
As the saying goes your leaning against an open door . I never meant that the two pastimes are comparable just that the decision to do something on your own or in a group might be . You have more chance of shitting in the queens handbag as you have in getting me to try that journey on my own . If I ever get the same ribbing experience as that i have of walking then I will have another look but it's doubtful I will , so all a bit academic really .

Old 01 April 2014, 03:23   #32
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
Biffer,

Thank you for your invitation to participate in your trips-much appreciated.

Having lived in Alderney, I can tell you that if en-route to Jersey I would be tempted to refuse any assistance from our French colleages unless desparate and accept instead the services of the Channel Islands RNLI, if available. Otherwise I would pay the French price.

One small correction I would make to my post is that by going alone, I mainly meant going in one boat. I have some very good friends with whom I normally boat.

"Ribbing-the most expensive way of travelling third class"
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 April 2014, 03:39   #33
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
Barrowboy,

Well spotted, and thanks for reading my website so diligently.

It proves, quite conclusively, that opinions, are like a***holes, everyone has got one.
My particular opinion has caused a small stir and is more a thought provoker than anything else. I genuinely want to know what another boat would do if I had a problem.
Them petrol, me diesel for example?

I certainly would not like the crew of another boat bobbing around empathising with me and getting cold, seasick or whatever.

However, as you have very cleverly proved, I have partially answered my own question but I am interested in what others think.

"Ribbing-the most expensive way of travelling third class"
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 April 2014, 04:30   #34

Town: Belper
Boat name: Ey up mi duck
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Barrowboy, Well spotted, and thanks for reading my website so diligently. It proves, quite conclusively, that opinions, are like a***holes, everyone has got one. My particular opinion has caused a small stir and is more a thought provoker than anything else. I genuinely want to know what another boat would do if I had a problem. Them petrol, me diesel for example? I certainly would not like the crew of another boat bobbing around empathising with me and getting cold, seasick or whatever. However, as you have very cleverly proved, I have partially answered my own question but I am interested in what others think.
Great response Brian . Never done forums before getting a rib don't do Facebook , Twitter etc but I do like the straight talking honesty that you get on this forum and your right everyone does and should have an opinion .

We are all equal .. Just some are more equal than others !!!