Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 12 April 2016, 19:36   #1

Town: Redmond
Boat name: Tender
Make: Brig
Length: 3m +
Engine: 25HP
Small hole in RIB dinghy - what do I do?

I have a 10.5' PVC RIB as the dinghy for my big boat. Long story, but I made a small puncture hole in it right at the water line.

The dinghy normally sits on davits out of the water. I don't have a dinghy for it, nor do I have an easy way of getting it onshore.

I was thinking I could back the boat into a slip, stern in so I can reach the dinghy from the dock to patch it. However, I know that the tube has to be deflated before patching it, right? If so, I'm afraid patching it might be a nightmare as I can't easily push behind it to get the air bubbles out when gluing the patch.

I thought as an option I could blow it up, then use a piece of Tear-Aid on it instead because it might stick more quickly than gluing a patch. However, I'm not sure how permanent (or temporary) Tear-Aid is as a repair.

What do you guys think is my better option - patch or Tear-Aid? Any other suggestions on how to repair it?
Old 12 April 2016, 19:56   #2

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudlet View Post
I have a 10.5' RIB as the dinghy for my big boat. Long story, but I made a small puncture hole in it right at the water line.

The dinghy normally sits on davits out of the water. I don't have a dinghy for it, nor do I have an easy way of getting it onshore.

I was thinking I could back the boat into a slip, stern in so I can reach the dinghy from the dock to patch it. However, I know that the tube has to be deflated before patching it, right? If so, I'm afraid patching it might be a nightmare as I can't easily push behind it to get the air bubbles out when gluing the patch.

I thought as an option I could blow it up, then use a piece of Tear-Aid on it instead. However, I'm not sure how temporary or permanent Tear-Aid is.

What do you guys think is my better option - patch or Tear-Aid? Any other suggestions on how to repair it?
Do you want something temporary until you can get it to a shop? If so, tear-aid will last a few weeks.

You cannot apply a good patch by the water. The glue will blush due to the humidity, which will negatively affect the strength. The glue strength will drop from kg/cm to mere grams per centimeter, and simply the air pressure behind the patch will blow it off.

To perform a proper repair, you need to bring the boat indoors, room temperature, no wind, with humidity below 65%.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2016, 20:00   #3

Town: Redmond
Boat name: Tender
Make: Brig
Engine: 25HP
My problem is that I have no way of getting it to a shop or indoors. I don't have a trailer for the RIB.
Old 12 April 2016, 21:02   #4
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
My problem is that I have no way of getting it to a shop or indoors. I don't have a trailer for the RIB.
Other people have trailers, and there's plenty of indoors around. Stick a clamshell repair or tape on it and arrange to get it off the water - it's not quite the Queen Mary size-wise and could be set on a pickup with a few tires to hold it.

Old 13 April 2016, 14:41   #5

Town: Oakland CA
Quote:
Best option is a patch. Tear aid to get it to shore, maybe, but definitely something more permanent as a fix.

Good advice above as to how and where.

jky

Tags
rib